Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #16
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Wow--they really do see it as appropriate (see no. 15): http://www.warthogsmc.com/Documents/GroupRiding.pdf
Wow, sounds like as much fun as close order drill in the military...and I don't know many veterans who actually liked that BS! Interesting also that they actually documented something that runs contrary to what drivers are taught. I haven't seen mention of road captains or group integrity in any driver education program.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,674
The inside lane is usually smoother, you have more time to see and react to deer. I ride in it when I can, but I move right for faster traffic.

I have had them block me by spreading out too. So I passed the group by slingshoting uphill so it happened too fast for them to react. A couple of them decided to gave chase. Must have been from the you are #1 sign I gave them. I slowed down a bit so they thought they had a chance. Nest set of curves marked 35, so I entered at about 70, sped up a bit from there and never saw them again.

I do not care where they ride, as long as they do not block. I have passed many many Harley groups since, no one has tried to block, some even wave me past. Must be my reputation

Well fog is lifting, time to get out and ride. May I only meet nice normal riders today, as usual. If not, well, sucks to be them. I feel sorry for them.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Cool2 Groupthink Sucks

In years of running vintage Suzuki rallies at theGSresources.com , we've found that the allure of groupthink is inexplicably powerful, no matter what sort of group it is or what they're riding.

Unless you set up and enforce some very different expectations, you inevitably end up with a tight conga line of 30 bikes playing a miserable game of follow-the-tail-light at 10mph below the speed limit (the average velocity of the slowest rider). What's really striking is that normally rational, safe riders will start to do the dumbest shit imaginable in order to "keep the group together" -- they block intersections (illegal), they retaliate against anyone they think threatens the group, they try to keep anyone from "disresepcting" the group, etc. It's absolutely amazing and horrifying to see.

More on Groupthink. Basically, people start to place the "integrity" of the group above their own enjoyment and safety. It happens with surprising speed and frequency, and has caused all sorts of disasters.

Here's a sample of my usual rant on the subject -- it helps explain "the GSR way" if there are any n00bs. Sometimes people get upset that we don't have a "road captain" (whatever the hell that is), but after a little while, they start to realize they're having more fun and feeling more relaxed and free...
Now, let's discuss "The GSR Way" to ride safely in a group:

- Every ride is "choose your own adventure". You'll get maps, but what you see and where you go are completely up to you. YOU are in charge of piloting your motorcycle and no one else.

- Ride like no one is around. If you find yourself feeling anxious, tense, or angry, if your hands, shoulders, or back hurts, or if you're going slower or faster or changing position or doing ANYTHING differently just because there are other bikes around, you are unsafe. SLOW DOWN or STOP and THINK and CHANGE SOMETHING to get your head back into your own ride, not the group's ride. In other words, CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF.

- Faster riders first -- this way the group stretches out. Space is safety. Space equals more fun and scenery. Make sure you understand this -- this is very different than other types of group rides where they focus on putting on an orderly, slow-paced parade at the expense of safety and enjoyment.

- Pass and be passed. If a rider is in view behind you and is getting closer, move over and wave them around when it's safe. This way, the group soon sorts itself out and starts to stretch out. If you are the rider behind, pass when it's safe. EVERYONE gets to ride the pace they're comfortable with at that moment. There are no "fast" or "slow" groups -- just people who feel like seeing similar scenery and roads.

- WAIT for the riders behind you at turns and stops so no one is confused. (The corollary is that the faster/fastest riders must also know where they're going...)

- Make sure you can see and identify the rider ahead of you and the rider behind you occasionally -- once every mile or so. If you get waaaay ahead of your following rider, slow down or stop for a bit until you can see them again. If the rider following disappears, stop and wait a bit, then u-turn safely and see what's up. (This will cascade up the group -- the rider ahead of you will notice you've disappeared and turn around, etc.). This way, we can take advantage of the benefits of a group without falling victim to the potential dangers of groupthink.

The corollary is that if you're with a group, make sure you tell them when you're thinking about going off on your own, heading back to the barn, or jumping to another group so they don't worry needlessly.

- Ride like the group does not exist. What I mean is that anything you do to "keep the group together" or "preserve the integrity of the group" is UNSAFE and WRONG. No hand signals, road captains, sweepers, or blockers, no blocking traffic, no rolling stop signs, absolutely NO riding in formation, or any of that Harley bro parade crap. Each bike is an island. Ride like no one's watching. Groups have no legal existence or meaning. REMEMBER THIS. GROUPTHINK IS POWERFUL AND DEADLY.

- Every rider MUST carry a map and have some idea of where they are. Again, ride like you're by yourself. Be prepared to navigate, even if you're just following someone else at the moment.

- Riding by yourself and changing, splitting, and forming new groups are perfectly fine and encouraged. There is no group, organization or herd -- we're just a bunch of people who like to ride and just happen to be visiting the same general area.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 09:03 AM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I came up upon a group of about 15 bikes on a four lane road that was in the left lane passing a slow car in the right lane. This was in a 55 mph zone, the group of bikes were traveling about 50 mph. There were a few cars behind the group of bikes. As soon as the bikes got past the slow car the last bike moved over into the right lane and stayed there. The other bikes remained in the left lane. They stayed this way traveling about 50 in a 55 for the 5 miles or so where I turned off. Traffic was stacked up behind them.

Made no sense to me at all.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
I came up upon a group of about 15 bikes on a four lane road that was in the left lane passing a slow car in the right lane. This was in a 55 mph zone, the group of bikes were traveling about 50 mph. There were a few cars behind the group of bikes. As soon as the bikes got past the slow car the last bike moved over into the right lane and stayed there. The other bikes remained in the left lane. They stayed this way traveling about 50 in a 55 for the 5 miles or so where I turned off. Traffic was stacked up behind them.

Made no sense to me at all.
Makes all kinds of sense. Look at me! Like the powering of numbers, this is the powering of egos. (at the motorcycle shop) "Honey, does it make my as* look big?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,835
We get people who hog the middle lane. They don't move when you flash them and as we can't 'undertake' the outside lane gets full of sales reps in the BMW/Audi all waving their dicks (ooo ,look at me, I'm more special than you).

People who believe that the middle lane is the more safe than the other lanes is a little.............. well...............FUKKIN delusional.

The inside lane, you know, the lane next to the hard shoulder, the hard shoulder where you have to get to in an emergency. But noooooooooo, if I have a blowout then I'll cross another lane, (fucking people about, 'cause I'm so special) to get to the hard shoulder. Twats.

Ooo, but the inside lane has wear where the trucks have been. STOP WINGING YOU FUKKIN DICKHEAD. Just avoid them. Plan ahead, look where you are riding.

Oh and AUDI stands for Arseholes Usually Drive It.

Rant over. I thank you.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
We get people who hog the middle lane. They don't move when you flash them and as we can't 'undertake' the outside lane gets full of sales reps in the BMW/Audi all waving their dicks (ooo ,look at me, I'm more special than you).

People who believe that the middle lane is the more safe than the other lanes is a little.............. well...............FUKKIN delusional.

The inside lane, you know, the lane next to the hard shoulder, the hard shoulder where you have to get to in an emergency. But noooooooooo, if I have a blowout then I'll cross another lane, (fucking people about, 'cause I'm so special) to get to the hard shoulder. Twats.

Ooo, but the inside lane has wear where the trucks have been. STOP WINGING YOU FUKKIN DICKHEAD. Just avoid them. Plan ahead, look where you are riding.

Oh and AUDI stands for Arseholes Usually Drive It.

Rant over. I thank you.
Eh, I'd give it a .5
Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
Homey OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
...Now, let's discuss "The GSR Way" to ride safely in a group:..
I never heard of the "GSR way" but that's pretty much how I learned to ride in groups from way back in the 80's.

btw, does my 86 GSXR qualify as vintage Suzuki yet, I'm pretty sure my T500 does? :)
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
If you're not a douche bag , yes. They're as bad as bicycles and their entitlement bullshit.
No, they're worse. But they're still not as bad as most motorists or even some motorcyclists who think bicycles are more than a blip on the safety, courtesy, or entitlement-bullshit-o-meter.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #25
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 663
Try dealing with 100+ on a 2 lane road spread evenly over 3 miles running 50 on a 65 mph road. With sag trailers and even an ambulance trailing.

Some kind of charity event. The only good part was they had a town cop at the traffic light directing EVERYONE thru quickly.

Made for some really squirrely behavior of all the other traffic that wasn't out for a scening ride in the fresh air.....
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Wow--they really do see it as appropriate (see no. 15): http://www.warthogsmc.com/Documents/GroupRiding.pdf
If you refer to No. 5, they also admonish their members not to attempt to prevent other vehicles from entering the group.

IF you are going to ride as a cohesive group, their rules for their members seem pretty reasonable, and the emphasis is on both courtesy and safety.

Frankly, I have encountered a lot more sport bike jockeys than pirates acting like Most of the pirates have been attentive and courteous.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,837
Its already Friday? I've missed a few days!

M
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'm sorry, but I ride in the left hand lane pretty much all the time at about 10-15 MPH above the posted limit. I live in Houston where you will NOT be the fastest vehicle, unless you're doing 90. If you want to travel faster, you can go around.
Actually, I'm not sorry.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I was on my way home from work today on the hwy with two south bound lanes cruising in my spyder at about 75 (in a 70). I was on the car because the GSXR is in the hospital. Anyway I came upon about 15 guys on cruisers, they looked to be in a club because they were all hearing the same leather jacket with some patches on the back I didn't bother to read. Anyway they were almost all in the fast lane going about 70 and making everyone pass them on the right.

As I moved to the right to pass the group I notice one bike in the slow lane so they've effectively taken up the whole freeway. As I approached the lead rider motioned for that rider to move over and he did before I had to hit the brakes. That was nice so I waved thanks as I passed them on the right.

So, the question is: Why do they do that????? Isn't slower traffic supposed to be in the right lane? It's not a huge deal, just very slightly annoying. Maybe some of you guys who ride in huge packs might enlighten me.
Cause they are idiots on cruisers...

Laws vary state to state, but if you are an idiot or dick, you hog the left lane. Courtesy and safety dictate you do not. Even if you are speeding. You are an asshole. You know who you are...

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 01:49 PM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I'm sorry, but I ride in the left hand lane pretty much all the time at about 10-15 MPH above the posted limit. I live in Houston where you will NOT be the fastest vehicle, unless you're doing 90. If you want to travel faster, you can go around.
Actually, I'm not sorry.
First, you're not sorry.

Oh, now I get it. You decide that 10-15 over is your speed and hang out in the left lane. At the same time, you surely wouldn't be complaining about another left lane driver only doing 5-10 mph over?

I like the states that have the sign "keep right except to pass". Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote