User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Just don't think of getting one of those clown cars with the canvas on the roof.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken View Post
Just don't think of getting one of those clown cars with the canvas on the roof.
??
Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,371
My girlfriend bought one this past spring, I think she paid $13K it's an '04 had about 80K on it. The thing looked new when we picked it up down in Pueblo. It did develop a coolant leak the first week and needed an A/C recharge but since then it's been fine. Her's is a SMG and I'm not a huge fan. It just doesn't shift fast enough for my liking I feel I could shift a normal manual faster. I had an NA Miata several years ago and I had much more fun driving that car than the Z-4 (again I think I'd probably feel differently if the Z-4 had a clutch).

It is MUCH faster than a Miata but probably slower than an S2000 (I believe the S2K is lighter but not 100% sure), the S2K has similar HP but significantly less torque than the 3.0 I-6 in the BMW (a 2.5 is also available but if you get a Z4 go for the 3.0). I was trying to steer her away from the German cars but she didn't like the MX-5 (claimed the windshield header was too low) and I don't think she even tested an S2K (probably 'cause she'd been driving an Accord Coupe for the last 7 years). If it were me I'd probably go for the S2K, but I like rev happy motors.

The funny thing is she moved here from New Orleans, said she would never have the top down back there due to all the rain and it's too friggin hot in the summer.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 04:14 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

I live 45 miles from New Orleans. Top down is not good in the summer except some evenings. Best weather is September-December, then April-June. This year has been pretty rainy.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
They look nice. This current generation's exterior and interior was designed by two women and it's probably their best looking model. I would think the 2.0L Turbo with a 6 speed would be a fun lil' drive.

That is a good looking car

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,419
It is for sure.

I suspect that a few years from now, people will be griping about the hard tops though. I think that's on all these convertible hard tops though. Lots of moving parts, leaks, and of course, say goodbye to the meager space you previously had for a trunk.

Still though, gorgeous car. The 335 must scoot along pretty well.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
we have those cars everywhere in florida, but seldom do i see one with the top down. i'm guesing they are a pain to raise or lower. on the other hand, it seems all miatas have their tops down unless it's pouring down raining. i bought my 06 miata with 40k on the odometer for a few thousand dollars less than ( I think she paid $13K it's an '04 had about 80K on it). i've put 27k miles on it in the 50 weeks that i've owned it. this is my 5th ragtop if i include my jeep. and this is the absolute most fun car i've ever driven. for the money it can't be beat. if you after image, the bmw is good for that. if you want total fun, the miata is good. i've taken 3 road trips of 2k or more each and was never uncomfortable. my wife was along for one and she too was comfortable. it put a luggage rack (5 minute instal/remove) on the trunk and we camped out of that car for 5 days.

kitesurfer screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 06:54 AM
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
Bovino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
^ Yes.

I love my '10 MX. Cheap, frugal and reliable. 3 years 0 problems. And yeah, they are a funny car.

If ya go for a Z, six pot only. Four bangers are w/o soul and sound. Crap on fuel too given the output. The newer 2l turbos might be funny but you can't beat a screaming sixpack.

Chris
Bovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
kitesurfer--they are quite easy to go up and down, maybe people just don't wanna mess up their hair?

My mom has a 3.0L Z3 and it's an awesome driving car. Handling seems not all that far off my porsche 968 (which is the best handling car I've driven) and the motor's better overall (slightly less peak power but more low-mid, smoother, more responsive). To me a long-hooded roadster like this really should have an inline six up front. Seems perfectly reliable (she's had it since new and no problems).

The Z cars are mechanically mostly 3-series. They are particularly good used value imo. For just a touch more than a used miata you get a whole lot more car.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I hard top coupe went by this morning on my way to work. Looked tons better than the soft top version.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,550
I have had 3 ragtops.

92 Miata - fun car but gutless. As reliable (and fast) as a KLR.

2001 BMW Z3 2.3, engine had some weird ECU rev issues between shifts. QC was horrible. Engine was great as far as sound and power, nearly perfect steering feedback. Second best handling car I ever owned.

2001 Porsche Boxster. Perfect handling and steering feedback. Very reliable although a bit underpowered. A Porsche out of warranty can be an evil beast.

I am going to test drive a new Miata and a BRZ nezt week when the boss is out of town.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Don't laugh, but what I'm driving right now is a '07 Pontiac Solstice. The only reason I've been tempted to change is the complete lack of luggage space. I can stuff the trunk with multiple small storage bags but thats about it. That's one reason the Boxster tempts me. When I bought this car I intentionally avoided Audi TT's, Boxsters, and Z's because of reliability questions. The Solstice is reliable, but really kind of soulless and has no storage. I have a friend that has a Boxster S but I find it to be less comfortable than the Solstice. Faster and more exciting, but less comfortable.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
FWIW I don't think you'll find the Boxster, TT, or Z to be particularly unreliable. For that matter my porsche 968 is 20ys old and has 150k miles and runs perfectly. It also has a huge amount of luggage space for a small sports coupe.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I hard top coupe went by this morning on my way to work. Looked tons better than the soft top version. [/IMG]
That's what I think too. The rag tops are cool but the coupe (to me) is just

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
Matt Gent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Dad's got an '07 M Coupe. Its a sweet ride, and looks like nothing else around. But when things go wrong, it is expensive. He is coming up on the end of the PPO warranty and has to decide if its worth keeping. Apparently they have rod bearing issues, he has been analyzing the oil after each change.

For track days, however, he uses my Miata. Consumables are 1/3 the price, and the risk of writing off the car is a lot lower.
Matt Gent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: