User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Nodabs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
AHRMA trial at White City

I just got back from a AHRMA trial at White City Il.
Boy turnout has dropped from when I was chasing points. 12 riders almost isn't enough to offset all of the work that went into the event.
But beyond that, the day was glorious. Great weather, good sections and being able to see some of the old crew made the day worthwhile.
I had a good time laying it out and checking. Old feelings started to surface, I wonder if I could ride at that level again? It must be time to dig out my Gold Star out again. Nothing good can come from this.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
As AHRMA doesnt seem to be providing what riders want, then they will arrive at a stage where it isnt viable to continue to run events. Would it not be a good idea for them to join forces with ITSA, whose events seem to be much better supported?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Nodabs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Twin-shocker, I would have to agree with you. I sure didn't see many new faces riding out there. Too bad that politics got in the way of a lot of fun.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Surely better to start working with ITSA than stop running trials completely?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Nodabs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In looking at the results from some ITSA events, it doesn't look like they are bringing in that many more entrants than AHRMA. A few, but nothing in the 60 to 70 range we were getting 10-15 years ago.
I really like what Bob is doing, but I think that we all have to realize that Trials is a fringe sport and Vintage Trials is a very small corner of that pie.
I did this weekend as a lark, I doubt that I will do it again.
Saying that, it sure was nice seeing Mike P. and Graham come up from Tn. to play with us flatlanders.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Nodabs, when you say 12 riders, do you mean 12 riders total, that signed up to compete, combining all classes?
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,505
Yikes!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Nodabs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

12 riders total. We had more checkers than riders.
The first vintage trial that we had back in 1990 had 30 riders!
There were several of the same riders that rode with us in the 90's, and they ain't getting any younger!
It was fun while it lasted.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
If that isn't a wake up call, I don't know what is.
Thanks for the ride report. Glad you had a good time.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

I wonder is there any reason why a class for trail bikes couldnt be introduced at vintage events? Lots of people seem to have these bikes in the US, and it would be a good way of getting new interest and boosting entries.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Vintage only events Leading to sparse entry levels? Just work with local modern Trials organizations to join in on their events,Vintage bikes are certainly capable of dealing with the lower 2-3 lines at any Trials,we assign the Vintage Cup riders to different pre-existing lines in each section depending on whatever is suitable. I've ended up actually riding a more difficult line on my vintage bike in a couple of sections in each event than I would ride on my modern bike,but I do have a awesome fantic 240...
There is no benefit in partitioning vintage bikes off from moderns,it's actually counterproductive,we've now got expert level riders dragging old hulks out of barns and having fun on them,and probably improving their skills while they're at it,if not their mechanical ability...

We are getting 15-20 vintage bikes entered,without doing one iota of additional organization. I'm hoping that we can bump that up and maybe run a Vintage Cup A and B classes next year.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Nodabs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

dmay,
What you call a vintage bike, I call a modern bike. And therein lies the rub. The moving target of what is a vintage bike. I ride a 1957 BSA Gold Star trials bike. The loop to a modern section is a chore!
I understand that time marches on and what was once new is now old. That is why I'm pretty sure that this was the last trial I will ever lay out. Over the hill at 53!
But what a ride it was. We counted up how many AHRMA National trials that my brother and I had laid out, we think it was somewhere between 30 and 40. It is time for someone else to step up and have fun with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
dmay,
What you call a vintage bike, I call a modern bike. And therein lies the rub. The moving target of what is a vintage bike. I ride a 1957 BSA Gold Star trials bike. The loop to a modern section is a chore!
I understand that time marches on and what was once new is now old. That is why I'm pretty sure that this was the last trial I will ever lay out. Over the hill at 53!
But what a ride it was. We counted up how many AHRMA National trials that my brother and I had laid out, we think it was somewhere between 30 and 40. It is time for someone else to step up and have fun with it.
OK,I admit a Gold Star might be a test to get around a Stoney Lonesome loop,I hope that this doesn't end your trials riding.I turn 55 next January and I'm having the best time I've ever had riding motorcycles in my life,Ryan Young and His dad Jerry rode Triumph Cubs in our series,most bikes are either TY's or the standard Spanish twinshockers.

I don't ever even check on AHRMA events,my twinshock,aircooled, drum brake bike is too "modern" so I am excluded.What I am saying is if you partner with a modern event lots of the details will be already dealt with,sanctioning and such,insurance, you could likely lay out your own loop and run your pure vintage in the morning utilizing people already at the event for checkers,then reciprocate in the afternoon and punch for the modern guys.Modern guys really dig and respect the old bikes,you'll generate some interest and assuredly someone there will join you with old iron. Hell,I wanna see you bike some time,I will put some Illinois rides on my schedule for next year!(My Dad was always"blah,blah,blah,Gold Stars!,blah,blah,blah!);-)

There will likely be another T.I.event at Tilton,Il next year,work with the Crosses to add a Vintage Cup class to their event,I plan to get up there some to help them with layout.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv

dmay screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 06:55 PM
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
In looking at the results from some ITSA events, it doesn't look like they are bringing in that many more entrants than AHRMA..
I was an AHRMA midwest trials regional coordinator from 2000 - 2002 and we were getting 40 to 50 riders for a regional event. There would always be several girls riding and several kids.

We went to great lengths to make sure every line was fun to ride for that skill level. No gimmes or stupid hard. Even the 4 or beginner line would be fairly long, no in and out as they wanted to ride their bikes as much as the experts.

I rode my dualsport to an ITSA trials at Trail of Tears back in the spring looking to see some old friends and they had no more than 12 to 14 riders. A couple of the guys I talked to said that all the sections had got so hard it was no longer fun to ride and just tore the bikes up. No beginners at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,193
Reporting in from the Southeast USA: The last two AHRMA SE regionals had riders numbering in the mid-20's. The one earlier this month had two children riders and one woman riding modern support (me), and we were made to feel very welcome. Barber can't really be compared to other venues due to the numbers it draws from all disciplines, but there'll be a large turnout for trials there next weekend.