ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
ericos OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 45
DR650=desert racer

Who says a DR650 can't be fun in the sand? Many seem to think the DR is too heavy and underpowered for dune work but these clips show that it can be a lot of fun. Anyone reluctant to ride the DR in soft sand for fear they'll get hopelessly bogged or the bike being a beast to control is doing something wrong and missing out on a lot of fun IMO.


ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Washington, USA
Oddometer: 1,916
Fun yes, racer?? Maybe against a CT-70.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider
 
SteelJM1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,583
When in doubt, gas it out.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
ericos OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 45
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Fun yes, racer?? Maybe against a CT-70.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
not to mention those crappy 450's that always seem to get bogged like at the start of the vid.
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,083
When I put a paddle tire on my Honda XL600R, it was a monster in the sand. As long as I was on the throttle, the weight wasn't really an issue.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Monroe, WA
Oddometer: 143
I loved my DR, and it did behave in the sand.

But....racer? Mmmhmm. Riiiiiight.
__________________
when I get too far from home, I go and find me a back road
koorbloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
ericos OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 45
I guess you're right, you don't have to be racing on a DR to be faster than anything else on the sand. King of the desert would have been a more suitable heading

Seriously though, there's far too many people that oversee the DR's potential for some fun in the sand as they're definitely capable of handling the dunes without too much fuss. No need for a paddle tire just rim locks and 5-10 psi will handle most of the soft stuff.. I convinced my mate to take his KLR on the sand and he agreed these bikes handle such occasions unbelievably well as can be seen in the following clip
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 1,749
Good for you!

The DR is a pretty capable bike. I used to take mine pretty much every where offroad and generally had a blast doing it. I still love the bike though I generally prefer my KTM300 for my more hardcore offroad needs.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Good for you!

The DR is a pretty capable bike. I used to take mine pretty much every where offroad and generally had a blast doing it. I still love the bike though I generally prefer my KTM300 for my more hardcore offroad needs.
Ive watched some vids of that KTM. I would die
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tlmaffucci's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericos View Post
I guess you're right, you don't have to be racing on a DR to be faster than anything else on the sand. King of the desert would have been a more suitable heading

Seriously though, there's far too many people that oversee the DR's potential for some fun in the sand as they're definitely capable of handling the dunes without too much fuss. No need for a paddle tire just rim locks and 5-10 psi will handle most of the soft stuff.. I convinced my mate to take his KLR on the sand and he agreed these bikes handle such occasions unbelievably well as can be seen in the following clip
What upgrades do you have for your DR? It sounded real nice.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,910
I passed out after the first minute of the first vid. Was there actually any riding going on?
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
ericos OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
What upgrades do you have for your DR? It sounded real nice.
Hey mate, as far as the engine goes the only modification is an FMF Q4 muffler, the rest is bone stock.
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
ericos OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Good for you!

The DR is a pretty capable bike. I used to take mine pretty much every where offroad and generally had a blast doing it. I still love the bike though I generally prefer my KTM300 for my more hardcore offroad needs.
Yeah, I agree there are much better bikes for all aspects of off roading if that's your specific type of riding. My DR is my do it all adventure bike. I almost got talked from the DR to a DRZ after many sources told me they're too heavy for the soft sand we often encounter on long distance adventure trips to the outback.
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014