User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #46
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,486
It lived and Bob finished both days!

Nice riding Bob. When you get that 30 year old tire off the front, I think SX will have their hands full.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #47
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
Great job Bob! Fun thread. I love seeing old bikes saved and turned into a rider. Not everyone has to be a full restoration.
So true! Just get it to work and let the kid beat on it and have fun.

I have the problem of wanting to spiff things and modify them to work better and thus must protect myself by avoiding the beater-basket variety or I'll disappear in some hole and never be seen again

...and my kids are grown and live too far away to beat up on my hardware anymore
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #48
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
Well, I left Friday afternoon with the bike running and almost complete. Saturday morning I planned to get up early and finish the rest. Got up at 6:30 put on new grips and levers, got the bars adjusted. Need to change the front tire ( It had an old cheap cheng shin that was rock hard and almost an inch narrower than standard) and a fresh set of front pads. Well once I removed the front wheel, I discovered no rim lock and the rim was of the tubeless variety. I really want a decent tire on it, but was afraid I might not get it to bead and with no rim lock I did not want to fight front tire problems all weekend. So back on with the wheel crappy tire and all, new pads and I called it good.
The weekend went well. Saturday I was 8th of 9 of nine riders with 30 pts. It was a seven mile loop (which was long by our club standards) Bike worked fine except that front tire just slid wherever it liked to go. No fives Saturday and crashed once on the loop in deep sand.
Sunday were harder sections. I started to get the feel of the Fantic. (It has too much abrupt power) I finshed 5 out of nine with 22 points. I had one five which I managed too much of a floater (Out of control) and ended up doing a 180 with a quick dab ,to not hit the scorer.
Gordy (see post above) got lucky on that 5 as he finished with 21 points. Took my camera but left my SD card in my computer, so no pics from me. Brewtus will be home in a day or two, to add some visual to our event! He scored both days and has several good (And bad) pictures of the Fantic and the sections.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #49
Gordy
Team Listo

You make it sound like you were the only one with a 5 on Sunday.

It went well with my assortment of threes, twos, and ones.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #50
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Sounds very cool, keep it running and try to finish the bike in terms of reconditioning it would (in my personal view) be too bad if you would not spend some $ to get it running quite well and do some details right.

There are not many really good working air cooled monoshock around and spares are so hard to get ... I strongly believe they will be very sought-after in a couple of years when the air cooled mono class has established it's just a matter of time and perseverance.

The "biting" motor characteristics is common to these bikes in my experience with the Beta TR, you will to get used to it as more you ride ...
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #51
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Sounds very cool, keep it running and try to finish the bike in terms of reconditioning it would (in my personal view) be too bad if you would not spend some $ to get it running quite well and do some details right.

There are not many really good working air cooled monoshock around and spares are so hard to get ... I strongly believe they will be very sought-after in a couple of years when the air cooled mono class has established it's just a matter of time and perseverance.

The "biting" motor characteristics is common to these bikes in my experience with the Beta TR, you will to get used to it as more you ride ...
Funny how your post contradicts itself? scarcity of bikes (let alone parts) will eventually make "air cooled mono" a big class?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #52
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Funny how your post contradicts itself? scarcity of bikes (let alone parts) will eventually make "air cooled mono" a big class?
I think he means valuable.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #53
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
You make it sound like you were the only one with a 5 on Sunday.

It went well with my assortment of threes, twos, and ones.
As you know Gordy, It had to be the section I was bitchin` at Brian for changing after I had clerked the sections. In fact it almost cost Curtis a 5 also.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #54
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
In fact it almost cost Curtis a 5 also.
I had a 2-0-0 in that section. Only way I would have fived it is if I hadn't walked it again during the event after you guys changed it!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #55
Gordy
Team Listo

I should have walked that section all three loops. The top got trashed with some chunky ledge crap broken off and got me on the second and third loop.
Say La Vee.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
...(It has too much abrupt power)...
My 309 hits harder than some motocrossers I've had,fun when you can use it! I did put a slow turn throttle on,only bike I've ever wanted one on.

Shouldn't be an issue putting in a rim lock and seating a proper front tire,mine worked ok like that. No need to replace the rim.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #57
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I think he means valuable.
The scarcity of availability of still good running motorcycles of this type due to the insufficient availability of spare parts will (probably) in long term increasing the demand.

Hopefully even more confusing.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #58
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
My 309 hits harder than some motocrossers I've had,fun when you can use it! I did put a slow turn throttle on,only bike I've ever wanted one on.

Shouldn't be an issue putting in a rim lock and seating a proper front tire,mine worked ok like that. No need to replace the rim.
I had previously ridden 309 in one trials back in `97. Very fun bike if you already have traction!!! Changing the tire at home is no problem. I had run out of time and planned to change it at the event. Actually I`ll use the old method of screws in the sidewall. Very interesting location, A high desert plateau (Haystack Mountain) overlooking the Roswell crash site to the west. Makes you always wonder watching the milky way at night!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #59
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,716
Proof that Bob's Pile-O'-Fantic actually arrived in Roswell -

Last minute ( ) preparation -

And proof that it actually competed -

Nice! OJ can't hold a candle to that Fantic!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,716
Damn you anyway, Bob!!

I also had an old neglected pile on the back porch. I thought of your Fantic all the way home yesterday, and decided to un-earth it....

More to come on the Montesa 314 thread. If there is one. If not, there is about to be.......

brewtus screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 03:22 PM Reason: Damn......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote