User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Moving to Paris - Keep or sell 900SS, R1, and Honda Cub

Howdy - You may remember me from Convince me to spend more money on motorcycles! Well, you all convinced me, and now I have a good condition '98 Yamaha R1, a '94 Ducati 900SS, and a '80 Honda Cub. Now, though, I am moving to France in two weeks with my French girlfriend, for an indeterminate amount of time. Could be 6 months, could be a looong time. When I move, we won't have ties to NYC anymore, though we both like it here and could easily come back. But also could move to Thailand or California, for instance. So what to do with all these bikes? I can store them for free in a friend's garage long-term, but it's in New Paltz, about 2 hours from NYC. Part of me thinks I should sell them all, never look back, and buy some supermoto or Hypermotard in france and never look back (or even ship one to France. Maybe stuff will be super expensive there, and I could ship the R1, ride it, then sell it for profit).

So, do you regret selling bikes? Am I crazy to make an effort to keep these? Long-term loan to a local friend so he can enjoy them? Put them in a friend's garage to sit unridden? It seems like having three bikes slowly deteriorating in New York while I'm over in France will tie up about $7k and create mental pollution in my head. But then at the same time, these bikes are awesome!

I like them all.

The R1 was my dream bike when I was a kid--I used to watch all the fastbikes videos and always thought the R1 was awesome. I finally found a perfect example, put on some tires, cleaned the carbs, and replaced the rectifier. Not very comfy for riding around town, but certainly an exciting experience. It's really exciting to own a bike that I've wanted for so long, and this is the original version of it. It's got that crazy, carbureted 5-valve, and it makes the bike want to leap out of your hands. It may be like riding an inert sewing machine, but wow, what a sewing machine!

The 900SS

This bike feels so oily and alive. The starter struggles for a second to push the big pistons over, then it fires into rattly life. It takes a while to warm up, but once it's warm, it's sensational. You sit in the bike rather than on it, and crouching behind the scratched up screen feels like time travel. The bike has really long gearing, so it feels like you're getting thrown down the road by a long arm of a volcano-powered catapult. It's not that fast, so hard, satisfying rides are not out of the question, unlike on the potent R1, which feels like an adversary trying to kill you. I put on a better headlight on this bike, as well as an upgraded adjustable fork sprung for my weight. It's got a new chain and sprockets, fresh oil and tires too. It's great. This may be my favorite bike I've ever ridden.

The Cub
I bought this four years ago on a whim, figuring that there must be something to the worlds most produced vehicle. It's simple, has an auto-clutch so you can carry a bicycle or air conditioner with your left hand and is a very good-natured motorcycle. Easy to work on, totally reliable, and you can ride it absolutely flat out without attracting attention. I really like it.

nick2ny screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 10:54 AM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
You can sell me the cub.

That was some pretty aggressive riding there.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
First world problem. Pros and cons either way. Go with your gut.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 492
Sell the R1.

Keep the Ducati.

Take the Cub.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
henshao
Bained

Oh, and take the cannoli.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
In 30 years, the R1 and the Duc will be dead and gone, the Honda 90 (or 50 or 70), will still be worth what you paid for it
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Bikes are not meant to sit in garages and not being ridden. Sell them all and buy a bike over there. Sure, they cost more over there but you can only ride 1 at a time. Glad I do not have to make that decision though...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,726
Sell them. They are just bikes. You can always buy some more.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
henshao
Bained

You are going to miss that Ducati fiercely as time goes on.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 816
Take the Cub and store the other bikes at your friends for 6 months. The Cub might come in handy in Europe if you can register it. If you decide that you will be in France for a loooong time then commission your friend to sell the remaining bikes. That gives you a chance for a little "wait and see" time. Your friend won't likely mind too much and he can get some $$$ for storage if you decide to sell. That seems like "win-win" to me.

And, if the Super Cub in the background of the Duc is yours then by all means keep that cool plane.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Sorry you have to move to Paris. What a pit that place is. Out in the suburbs and country side it's ok-nice but the city...yeck.

If you may only be gone 6 months, I'd store them and see how things pan out. Then sell if you decide to stay there. If you decide to come back then you have em.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Sorry you have to move to Paris. What a pit that place is. Out in the suburbs and country side it's ok-nice but the city...yeck.
That wasn't quite my experience there. They did drive crazy, though.

Quote:
If you may only be gone 6 months, I'd store them and see how things pan out. Then sell if you decide to stay there. If you decide to come back then you have em.
That was my thinking, too. Great minds...

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Take the Cub and store the other bikes at your friends for 6 months. The Cub might come in handy in Europe if you can register it. If you decide that you will be in France for a loooong time then commission your friend to sell the remaining bikes. That gives you a chance for a little "wait and see" time. Your friend won't likely mind too much and he can get some $$$ for storage if you decide to sell. That seems like "win-win" to me.

And, if the Super Cub in the background of the Duc is yours then by all means keep that cool plane.
It's a 1941 J-3 Cub with a Franklin 65 bhp engine. I am working on selling my 1/4 share in it. It's FANTASTIC!

Sorry about the shaky camera--it was an impromptu video-

Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Well, it's for the best girl ever. And maybe we'll live in Marseilles, Bangkok, or San Francisco instead. Do any of those work for you?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,165
The whole dilemma about selling the bikes is cover for informing others he's got a French girlfriend and is moving to Paris.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote