Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
The whole dilemma about selling the bikes is cover for informing others he's got a French girlfriend and is moving to Paris.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Well, it's for the best girl ever. And maybe we'll live in Marseilles, Bangkok, or San Francisco instead. Do any of those work for you?
Careful!, girls are no good! (don't tell my wife of almost 30years I said that) Marseilles I've never been to, Bangkok is a hole worse than Paris though there are some awesome places in Thailand. San Francisco I have mixed feeling about. In case you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of big cities. If you need a big city to live in (for work or whatever) I'd look at San Diego. For a Big City it's one of the nicest.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Rakthi
mopetista

Oddometer: 190
Sell the bikes, the procedure to get them registered/homologated to conform to EU laws and regulations are expensive and time consuming.

Need new exhaust, head light, speedometer, remove the front running lights etc. to begin with. Even on the Ducati as it was build for export to the US.

For older bikes like yours it will be an absolute pain to get the "certificat the conformité" - or whatever they call - it from the importer. (Meaning the bikes have to be physically checked over by the brand's importer/representative in France!)

I brought my 2 bikes with me (one a Ducati) when I moved from NY to Europe. Never again.

Plenty of 2nd hand bikes to be had in EU, and lots of those not available in the US.
Rakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #19
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,128
Quote:
Well, it's for the best girl ever. And maybe we'll live in Marseilles, Bangkok, or San Francisco instead. Do any of those work for you?
Marseille (the French spelling) is a cesspool.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
BGil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Remember that, in France, you can't register a bike with more than 106 HP.
BGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
OP, your question isn't answerable due to incomplete information.
Will need a picture of girlfriend first...
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
The whole dilemma about selling the bikes is cover for informing others he's got a French girlfriend and is moving to Paris.
... and he has good taste in bikes.

Good on ya man!
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Attachment is such a drag.

If you can't use them, lose them. Motorcycles are no good to anybody stashed away. They can easily be replaced with something similar.

Not so a decent partner..... she's the keeper by the sounds of things.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,713
As the owner of a 94 900SS, I feel I must recuse myself.

But I've ridden the Provence roads north and east of Marseille from Clermont-Ferrand to Avignon, Aix, and Nice, and they are great! There are surely some decent roads near Paris, but I don't know of them.

*OK, take the Duc*
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Sell them

Sell them. Throw them on eBay and set the funds aside. Once you are settled, this can be the beginning of a toy fund.

Plenty of Ducs and other bikes on eBay. You can always buy another one.

Why set the funds aside? if you don't and you mix them up with the general funds you will always feel like you sold the bikes to pay for "Shitty house in Paris, dumpy car to drive around in, cruise vacation where we just ate and got fat..." You get the idea, regret.

Having the funds aside lets you stay loose, but still have the ability to get the dumpy car and not feel bad about it.

Just my thoughts...
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Can we trade first world problems... I can't decide if I want to go to the bar tonight

Sell em and start fresh, just my opinion.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Sell them. Throw them on eBay and set the funds aside. Once you are settled, this can be the beginning of a toy fund.

Plenty of Ducs and other bikes on eBay. You can always buy another one.

Why set the funds aside? if you don't and you mix them up with the general funds you will always feel like you sold the bikes to pay for "Shitty house in Paris, dumpy car to drive around in, cruise vacation where we just ate and got fat..." You get the idea, regret.

Having the funds aside lets you stay loose, but still have the ability to get the dumpy car and not feel bad about it.

Just my thoughts...
Brilliantly said. I agree completely.

Enjoy Paris, and avoid things that tie you to places you may not return to.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Whatever you do, keep us posted on ADVrider so we can live vicariously through you.

I like the suggestion of selling them all and using the cash for something new once you've cross the pond. Once you get there and see all the scooters, you might regret selling the C70. I got one too - I love that thing.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
So, do you regret selling bikes?
The Cub
I bought this four years ago on a whim, figuring that there must be something to the worlds most produced vehicle. It's simple, has an auto-clutch so you can carry a bicycle or air conditioner with your left hand and is a very good-natured motorcycle. Easy to work on, totally reliable, and you can ride it absolutely flat out without attracting attention. I really like it.
Is that an original Cub from the 60's or is it a more recent model? I think Honda is still making them, with some updated tech, in Japan. I have also seen a Chinese or Taiwanese made copy of the original on sale here with a 110 cc engine.

Honda here in Thailand has recently introduced a retro looking 110 cc replacement for the long serving Dream..... and badged it "Cub". It doesn't have the leading link suspension of yours and the original though.

No I have not regretted selling motorcycles, not that I have had many to sell. I have always owned at least one since 1975. I have owned a total of just seven.

My daily ride is a 1997 Honda Dream 100. It has done 219,000 km (engine overhaul at 180,000 km) still reliable and doing better than 100 mpg (US). I gave way another, back home in NZ. It is 30 years old, deregistered, and being used off road by some young fellows.

Two of the others were stolen (both in the UK, c'est la vie). There was one that had the engine seize after an an oil seal failed. I used it as part exchange for the only second-hand bike a repair shop had on hand in the small town nearby, thus was able to get straight on my way rather than waiting for parts to repair the broken down machine. The other two I sold when they were of no more use to me.

No sentiment, motorcycles are just machines to get around on.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 02:22 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
nick2ny OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
It's a 1980. Maybe 7k miles on it. 6V electrical system. It has the huge ugly American turn signals on it, and a N-down, 3-up auto clutch transmission.

I love it!

Carrying an injured pigeon:

Exploring Manhattan during the blackout. It was after 1AM, so the garage was shut and I couldn't take the Ducati. Oh well. the video doesn't make it look much darker than it was. I was blasting into blackness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Is that an original Cub from the 60's or is it a more recent model? I think Honda is still making them, with some updated tech, in Japan. I have also seen a Chinese or Taiwanese made copy of the original on sale here with a 110 cc engine.

Honda here in Thailand has recently introduced a retro looking 110 cc replacement for the long serving Dream..... and badged it "Cub". It doesn't have the leading link suspension of yours and the original though.

No I have not regretted selling motorcycles, not that I have had many to sell. I have always owned at least one since 1975. I have owned a total of just six.

My daily ride is a 1997 Honda Dream 100. It has done 219,000 km (engine overhaul at 180,000 km) still reliable and doing better than 100 mpg (US). I gave way another, back home in NZ. It is 30 years old, deregistered, and being used off road by some young fellows.

Two of the others were stolen (both in the UK, c'est la vie) and the other two I sold when they were of no more use to me. They are just machines to get around on.