Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
sadly no matter whom is to blame one guy involed is now going to be in a wheel chair for life .
It is sad story. Sometimes we make choices and live with the results.

As a person with a spinal cord injury that was not the result of high risk activities this guy doesn't get a whole lot of sympathy from me. He took big chances with his and others well being and now pays the price.

I'm one of the lucky paras. With relentless therapy I can get out of my chair, walk a little and get to a barhroom. or on a scooter.....as long as its a step-thru.

I hope this guy finds a way to be productive. If not the stats say he's a druggie or dead in 5 years. Either way hes a victim of his actions.

This was a sad series of events all the way around.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
This was a sad series of events all the way around.
Very true.

AMAC, I am intrigued by your story. Have you written about it elsewhere?
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
I hate it too but he asked for it. The world's a cruel mistress.
No, he didn't "ask for it". He stopped his bike, on the side of the expressway, to help a buddy. His buddy's bike had been knocked over in front of the Rover. The Rover driver ran him over, as well as his buddy, breaking his legs and injuring his spine. The civil law suits from this 'incident' should be fascinating.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
No, he didn't "ask for it". He stopped his bike, on the side of the expressway, to help a buddy. His buddy's bike had been knocked over in front of the Rover. The Rover driver ran him over, as well as his buddy, breaking his legs and injuring his spine. The civil law suits from this 'incident' should be fascinating.
I thought they were talking about the guy who intentionally nailed his brakes in front of the SUV?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I thought they were talking about the guy who intentionally nailed his brakes in front of the SUV?
It gets confusing because at first the news outlets were reporting that the rider who initally slowed down in front of the SUV broke his leg in the encounter. Turns out that's not true. But "broken leg" was one of several injuries that another guy (Edwin Mieses, the rider who may never walk again) received.

So it's been hard to keep track of who is who in this incident.

This just goes to show that initial news reports of emotionally charged incidents like this are almost alway wrong about a lot of the details. And that can lead to false conclusions.

What Edwin Mieses or any of the other riders who got run down were actually doing in the vicinity of the SUV when it took off is merely conjecture. Maybe they were there helping a fellow rider. Maybe they were there helping pound the shit out of that SUV, verbally threatening its occupants or spiking the tires. We just don't know yet.

The only thing that seems abundantly clear to me at this point is that as a group, those riders were behaving incredibly irresponsibly. The authorities have their work cut out for them sorting the rest of it out.
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx250sfguy View Post
Very true.

AMAC, I am intrigued by your story. Have you written about it elsewhere?
Yes. Mostly in publications aimed at those with mobility disabilities. I also do some speaking on the subject of alternate mobility devices.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
It gets confusing because at first the news outlets were reporting that the rider who initally slowed down in front of the SUV broke his leg in the encounter. Turns out that's not true. But "broken leg" was one of several injuries that another guy (Edwin Mieses, the rider who may never walk again) received.

So it's been hard to keep track of who is who in this incident.

This just goes to show that initial news reports of emotionally charged incidents like this are almost alway wrong about a lot of the details. And that can lead to false conclusions.

What Edwin Mieses or any of the other riders who got run down were actually doing in the vicinity of the SUV when it took off is merely conjecture. Maybe they were there helping a fellow rider. Maybe they were there helping pound the shit out of that SUV, verbally threatening its occupants or spiking the tires. We just don't know yet.

The only thing that seems abundantly clear to me at this point is that as a group, those riders were behaving incredibly irresponsibly. The authorities have their work cut out for them sorting the rest of it out.
Very true.
What makes this difficult for the defense is the video. Everything that happened before that video will be treated as hearsay. Even eye witness testimony will take a back seat.

Is that right, who knows but that's the risk of the video. It may only tell a part of the story but it is the only evidence that is truly first hand.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,635
Funnily enough, if you look through the stills. one of the gang members in on a Zuma.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
ohiotj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I wish I could see the raw video from the "cameraman". Since he cut off the video he uploaded before the SUV driver was pulled from the vehicle and beaten, I'm assuming he was filming before the start of the online video, too, and he just posted what he thought would show the bikers side (he thought wrong, obviously). He's using a GoPro, on what appears to be the right side of his helmet. Unless he has the remote, its not exactly convenient to start and stop a GoPro while riding, especially on the same side of the bike as your throttle hand. That points to the likelihood he was continuously filming.

If he's crafty, he's deleted the raw video already, and it'll be harder to find than the missing Zapruder footage.
ohiotj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I found this on another thread. Worth reading.

From YouTube -

"Marc Roffman wrote: Here is some additional information you all might want to read. This is my personal experience with this situation. I made sure to post this on the support site as well. As a trucker that would deliver in north jersey and New York I am familiar with these gangs.

I can hopefully clarify a few things. First the initial "accident" is part of a game they play. They ride in a huge group and will operate together to slow down traffic.

Next they pick out high end vehicles targeting people with families in them, the targets will usually be white or Asian.

Then one of the riders will do a "brake check" and stop suddenly in front of the target vehicle causing a minor bump. In some cases they will just roll back into their target vehicle. They will then mob the vehicle demanding money and or begin attacking the person inside. It is their practice to also slash the tires to prevent the vehicle from escaping.

Truckers are well aware of them and are advised not to stop. You can clearly see in the video how they are well practiced in this style of attack. The police in NY have backed off them after an officer ran one down using his vehicle a few months back. The video was all over the net so I advise you to check it out.

These "bikers" ride dirt bikes and sport bikes very few of which are street legal and even fewer have plates. They run red lights, stop signs, and have no regard for the law. If you are ever in this situation do not stop, immediately call the police and do whatever you have to to keep them from boxing you in. NEVER leave the scene of an accident if you are not under direct threat!!!

Only run if you have no other choice, and again immediately call the police. This is not rare by any means, the only reason this incident got any attention is because of the helmet cam video being posted on the net.

If you see anyone in this situation, call the police.

Make no mistake confusing these punks with true bikers. You will rarely if ever see a member of these gangs on a Harley. Do not for a minute blame true bikers for this kind of behavior. Bikers like those involved in the 2 million Bikers to DC Rally are American Patriots and would be among the first to come to your aid.

A final note, always be aware of motorcycles and share the road. Check your mirrors and don't ride anyone's bumper, motorcycles have a much smaller profile then a car and are harder to see."
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After reading what Marc Roffman said (see above #25), watch the video again. Notice how fast the riders out front came to a stop?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Cute

People think scooters are cute. This would never happen with a "gang" of scooters.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
bkrdoug80
Old Dude

Oddometer: 33
SUV driver runs over scooter rider!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was the beginning--------------that person(biker) is on life support!!!!!!! after over half million miles on the road-------I have been targeted, run off road, followed within inches of rear end and deliberately put in precarious positions----i have called police many times-----NO SUCH LUCK!!!!--------I have survived because i was "intolerant" of people that put me in harms way. when i started riding in the 70s there were few scoots----mostly very tough road hombres!!-----I learned to be aggressively pro-active-------i have used that experience over the years------think of the bikers that have been hit,killed and maimed and little or nothing done to the drivers!!-----I have lost too many friends-----watched crushed bodies in the ER------listened to too many drivers tell the officer "I didnt see him/her"----"he/she doesnt have a right on the road anyway!!-------this CREEP ,after running a guy over, DIDNT even try to stop or help out---nothing!!------and of coarse ALL bikers know------its their fault.----------isnt it??? BKRDOUG (joined 08)
bkrdoug80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
this could never happen scooterists are too nice and people love us. i was out riding today as is usual, lookin' for some trouble. everyone just smiles and waves, though. its like i'm not even on one of those terrible, two wheeled contraptions at all
I don't know, that black one looks kind of menacing.

*picture copied from the scooter pics thread.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
klx250sfguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdoug80 View Post
that was the beginning--------------that person(biker) is on life support!!!!!!! after over half million miles on the road-------I have been targeted, run off road, followed within inches of rear end and deliberately put in precarious positions----i have called police many times-----NO SUCH LUCK!!!!--------I have survived because i was "intolerant" of people that put me in harms way. when i started riding in the 70s there were few scoots----mostly very tough road hombres!!-----I learned to be aggressively pro-active-------i have used that experience over the years------think of the bikers that have been hit,killed and maimed and little or nothing done to the drivers!!-----I have lost too many friends-----watched crushed bodies in the ER------listened to too many drivers tell the officer "I didnt see him/her"----"he/she doesnt have a right on the road anyway!!-------this CREEP ,after running a guy over, DIDNT even try to stop or help out---nothing!!------and of coarse ALL bikers know------its their fault.----------isnt it??? BKRDOUG (joined 08)
You sir are a rider, those that surrounded the RR were thugs who happened to be on motorcycles. I would encourage you to watch the earlier videos, from about half an hour before they met up with the RR. Those lawless losers were running red lights, riding on sidewalks, riding against traffic - doing whatever the hell they wanted.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 04:05 PM