Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I wasn't even born by then, so reports like this allow you to somehow get a flavour of things that, otherwise, you'll never be able to know.

Interesting as "current" RR may be, they will never get as interesting to me as one like this one

Thanks
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
Wal2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
loving the SL350....we didnt get them over here in UK, i lusted for one for ages....we only had the SL125 (which i had as my 1st off road bike) we had the CB250,(road model) which i think was bored out for the SL350..iirc...great days
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizingson View Post
I hope my little road trip brought back some memories for some of you. Obviously attempting a trip like that with that size/type of machine today would get many people questioning your sanity. I love reading peoples travel adventures especially on machines that seem unlikely for the task. Sometimes the best memories come from the unexpected things that happen (that's why it's called an "adventure") rather than a smoothly planned excursion on the main interstates. I have to say back then we didn't worry about things as much as today, such as no cell phone if you broke down or no credit cards for emergencies, just enough tools to hopefully repair whatever happened along with your own survival skills. Your basic plan was, "if it is to be it is up to me", a concept many don't or can't accept today. Hopefully some of you can also share some travel stories as well from the '60s or '70s on vintage bikes!

...the era is gone forever, fortunately the motorcycles remain...

The era may be gone but I'll keep its spirit alive as long as I can.
Best decade ever.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Your report did indeed bring back memories! In '73 I took my '72 CL 350 on the East Coast equivalent of your tour….. 3500 miles in 28 days, to the Canadian Maritimes. My sissy bar was laden in a very similar fashion to yours, but I was a fan of goggles rather than bubble, to go with my open faced helmet.Those 350s were unstoppable! Funny 'tho, I always thought that my CL "Street Scrambler" was the pretender on dirt, & your SL was the real deal. I only wish I had a photo record like yours to document that trip. Of course, my memories are still in unfaded color! (maybe even a little rosier than the reality) Thanks for the write-up.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Great story! Reminds us that adventure is possible w/o all the most hi-tech do-dads! Super bike trips are really still available to almost anyone even if you can't afford the farkles....just go old-skool!

Your motor rebuild story reminded me about the time I, whose only experience was working on lawnmower engines, pulled my g/f's Honda 175 engine and rebuilt it in the middle of our kitchen floor. Took key bits to a machine shop with a auto scrap yard out back, run by two brothers who each must have tipped the scales at 400lbs at least. Nicest guys in the world, though, and experts w/ engines. As he looked over the head, one of them said to me "y'all are novelists, ain't cha?" I didn't know what he meant. I'd never even written a short story. "Novelists?", I said. "donch ya know what 'novelist' means? It means ya ain't ever done anything like this befoah." "Oh, yeah, you're right, I'm a novelist." Put it all back together and it ran like a champ. She took it with her when we split up and it was promptly stolen in Raleigh. Still miss that bike.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #36
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Very cool ride report. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

This brought back memories of the bikes, the riding gear, and the luggage used for touring. At times I run across one of my old photos and get embarrassed with how I dressed and packed but then realized everyone else did it the same way. That's how it was done then.

Ohhhhhh yes, those were the days!! Wasn't it great to be able to just enjoy what you had, what you could afford and not feel like you have to have the biggest and best to see the world around you?

Ride on.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #37
Gundecker
aka fng

Oddometer: 133
My first bike was a 1971 CL175. The perfect starter bike for a skinny teen. Bought it for $450 in 1977. Burnt orange. Also lusted after the bigger versions. Thanks for the ride story. Great stuff.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #38
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
A friend at Tinker AFB had a SL and I liked it so much that I bought one. Like you said - not a dirt bike, but one that handled dirt backroads without working up a sweat.

It's one of the bikes I wish I still had (with a garage big enough to stash 'em all in).
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #39
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 194
As I had mentioned, this was my last road trip prior to getting married, but didn't mean to imply my wife put a stop to bike travel. (4 daughters would do that later) In fact she joined me and my brother on several more trips over the next couple of years, riding on the back of my new '73 Suzuki GT550 Indy. Now that bike was smooooth riding and had plenty of power for two up riding through the mountains or down the interstate at 75 mph all day. My brother had also updated from the CL450 and was then riding a CB750, so no issues there either. (still can't understand the need for over 1000cc's)

Here she is getting her first riding lesson about a month before my brother and I headed out on our Canadian adventure.

And here again with me after 40 years. This is the same bike, which is now one of my most prized possessions

Here's some photo's of a trip we took down to the 4-corners area back in '74

Just after arriving at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve.

Relaxing at the dunes, those really were some carefree times before kids came along.

The bikes in the Colorado mountains going to the next stop at
Mesa Verde National Park

Notice we did have fairings by now
Time for a little bug clean up and polishing at a hotel in Cortez, CO

Shortly after arriving at 4 corners

And me with my butt planted in 4 states. (Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah)

Somewhere on the long road home!

Latter that year we also made it to Sturgis for the bike rally (which wasn't anywhere near as big as it is today!

Here we are arriving at Mt. Rushmore. My brother and wife getting things from the back packs. Note my wife now has a 3 in foam pad to sit on, for a little extra padding and comfort

Yeah, it looked about the same then as it does today. (My brother and I)

And the wife, somewhere along the needles highway.

After leaving the Black hills, we made one more stop at Badlands National Park, before heading back to my parents farm on the east end of the state. About 400 miles away.

This picture was taken just before sunset. My wife getting on some warmer gear for a cool night ride across South Dakota on I-90.

Looking back on it, I'd never do a night ride at high speed like that again, with wildlife and the poor lighting that was normal back then. I did however run over a skunk that night near Chamberlain, SD but that just caused a bad smell We arrived safely at my father's dairy farm near Hurley SD at about 4:30 am. Of course Dad was already up and wanted to know if we would help milk the cows. (no thanks, I think I'll rest instead)
After a few days of relaxation it was back on the bikes and a single day ride (640 miles) back to Denver. We were almost pushed off the rode by high winds that toppled trees along I-80 near Henderson, NE. We were able to get under an overpass and climb up the embankment and ride out the storm under that bridge.
Other trips were taken, but I can't really put together a ride report due to lack of good photo's plus my memory isn't as keen as it used to be.
In 1976 our first of 4 daughters, was born and shortly after that I reluctantly sold the Suzuki and focused on my personal responsibilities. The next 29 years I didn't own a bike, but occasionally would take a quick ride on different friends or co-workers bikes. The urge to ride just never went away, but after all four of my girls were through college in 2005, (with medical degrees) I quickly caught the fever again, and began to collect the bikes I used to own. (In some cases the exact bike of my brothers and also my best friend from back when I was 16 years old.) After that I decided I needed every bike I lusted after back in the '60s. This soon turned into wanting one each of every model that was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
A friend at Tinker AFB had a SL and I liked it so much that I bought one. Like you said - not a dirt bike, but one that handled dirt backroads without working up a sweat.

It's one of the bikes I wish I still had (with a garage big enough to stash 'em all in).
So MichaelJ, there is no garage big enough for that!!

Here's some pics from a couple years ago of my man cave and what seems to be my ever growing collection of Vintage Japanese bikes from the '60s to about '75.
Me by one of my two lifts, just finishing up some electrical work on a '70 Suzuki T-250II Hustler.

And a couple of shots that doesn't come close to capturing the insanity

Now day's, since I retired, I just enjoy wrenching on the bikes and ride most of them as much as possible, although that can be a monumental task at times, with keeping batteries up and carbs clean etc. I also take in as many bike shows as possible and enjoy showing many of my own as well.
I still dream of road trips, but not through big cities or interstate travel. Things like the TAT do get my juices flowing, but then I'd have to decide which bike to take. Also I wouldn't go it alone like I used to, just for safety reasons.

Here's the bike I usually take these days, if I do wish to ride some paved backroads into town, sometimes the wife rides along as well. Yes, I still keep it Vintage, even though I own a more modern Cruiser.

It's a show ready 100% original '73 Yamaha TX650. I really shouldn't even put it on the road and chance any rock chips, but some day's I just like to get away for some nostalgic reminiscing still!

Rizingson screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 04:11 PM
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Great report. Brings back lots of good memories from the old days. Some buddies and I took a trip around the perimeter of the US back in '77. 15k miles.We get together every 5 years to reminisce.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #41
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Great report. Brings back lots of good memories from the old days. Some buddies and I took a trip around the perimeter of the US back in '77. 15k miles.We get together every 5 years to reminisce.
Wow, now that would be an epic road trip. Doing it with a bunch of buddies had to be the best way possible to spend the summer. I can definitely see that getting together to tell stories about that trip would be something to look forward to every 5 years!
I noticed you had some pics in later RR's, which you had been down to the 4 corners area also. (much clearer than my pics from '74)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #42
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 739
the good old days

after spending two toures in the navy in vietnam,a fellow shipmate and I bought two new 1971 harley sporsters out of a motorcycle magazine, picked them up after being discharged in southern california and catching a jump flight to seattle washington. all we had was our millitary clothing and old flight jackets. he lived in waco texas and we spent 16 days traveling around the western us to texas. it was late october and when we left seattle and several times we thought we were going to freeze while crossing the rockey mountians and in the desert. I remember robbing newspaper boxes and wraping the papers around our legs and bodys to try and stay warm. we slept mostly on the ground with a tarp and an old wool army blanket. our luggage was a navy duffel bag and a seamans dry sack, tied to the rear seat with ropes. I spent a week in waco and and took another 2 weeks on the road before ariving home in andrews nc in a about 2 foot of snow. I wouldn't trade those memories from that trip for anything. I myself have a few old pictures I will try to dig up and post of our trip (adventure) and post. my friend from waco and I remained friends throught our lives. he eventually settled in georgia. we made several other bike trips over the years. in early 2009 we purchased 2 xr 1200s, from a dealer in nc and spent 3 months preparing them to re-trace our origional route as much as possible. we left nc in early june and spent 42 days traveling back thru waco, the southern us, canada, alaska and back to nc. due to health issues, he has since had to give up riding, but we meet often and re-live all these great memories we have of our motorcycle adventures. I still ride most everywhere I go on the xr 1200. It has been a wonderful bike. thanks for sharing your story and adventures with us all.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #43
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizingson View Post
...and ride most of them as much as possible...
Impressive fleet! If you don't mind me asking in a public forum, what do you do regarding registration and insurance? Doing each bike individually would take the GNP of a small country.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #44
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Impressive fleet! If you don't mind me asking in a public forum, what do you do regarding registration and insurance? Doing each bike individually would take the GNP of a small country.
I explained cost aspects in a different post elsewhere on this forum.
Here's a link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5562
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #45
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,055
Wow, VERY cool thread!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote