User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
House water pipe routing.

I was under the house last night doing to insulation work. I was checking out the water lines and their routing and I got really confused. Water comes into the house from the ground at the center of the house, then branches off. One goes and supplies the house with water, the other goes to the far side of the house, to a valve, turns to flexible plastic pipe then back into the ground. I did not mess with the valve. I remember it being on, though I can not tell for sure. What is this branch for?

It is not the sprinkler or outside water, I know where those are.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 748
Do you have a well or city water?
GoGoGavin41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
liquidrock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
That was my guess, an old well line.
liquidrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

City water. Pretty sure it has always been city water.

But that line is an OUT line. I should go check again if the valve is open or close
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,823
Could this be for circulating in the winter to prevent freeze-up - not sure where you are but in the north, where there are exposed lines or extreme cold
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

It does get cold where I am at. 28 last night. So this line then ties into the main in. You crack the valve and it keeps the water circulating to prevent freezing. Interesting. But this would not prevent the supply lines that feed the house from freezing as this circuit is the first branch.

I was thinking about the well comment. I guess it could also be an "IN' line tot he house water system.

MrPulldown screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 10:43 AM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,450
Was there once an outbuilding on the property? Maybe they piped fresh water to it.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
It does get cold where I am at. 28 last night. So this line then ties into the main in. You crack the valve and it keeps the water circulating to prevent freezing. Interesting. But this would not prevent the supply lines that feed the house from freezing as this circuit is the first branch.

I was thinking about the well comment. I guess it could also be an "IN' line tot he house water system.
If there was a freeze relief valve, it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in the crawl space. There are much easier ways. I would be trying to open/close the valve and see what happens.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Or my neighbor is stealing my WATER
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Hmm

Turn the valve off and see what happens. You are on city water, so you should have pressure and never need to prime a pump.

If your neighbor comes out and says his shower just stopped, you know what it is
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Turn the valve off and see what happens. You are on city water, so you should have pressure and never need to prime a pump.

If your neighbor comes out and says his shower just stopped, you know what it is
Now that you mention it, my water usage has been a bit high for a couple of months and my neighbor has been endlessly wet-sanding an old Dakota he bought on the cheap. I have an inside shutoff for that sillcock, so maybe I'll turn that off to see if my usage goes back down. (Besides, it's almost time to turn it off for the season anyway.)
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
I was under the house last night
It is always good to get/keep up close and personal with the underside of your house. Seriously. Its always good to see whats going on.

Once a year at least.

Previous line for a Koi pond or fake creek or waterfall that's long gone from previous owner?

BTDTGTTS
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
MrPulldown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok I think I figured it out, it is a drain line.

Was under the house yesterday and storing some summer gear. Thought about the line again so I went to mess with it.

The valve on the extra line was open. I opened it and closed it several times, while allowing time between it. It seems like there is not water/pressure in the line. the plastic hose runs down into the vapor barrier. I notice allot of white hard water deposited like staining on the cinder block foundation at the edge of the vapor barrier near this hose/pipe. So I rip a small opening in the vapor barrier to see what is underneath. A wet towel/rag!!!

What I think is going on is when you shut off the main water coming into the house the lines in the hose self drain out of a relief valve. The draining water is suppose to drain through this extra line. It doesn't do the best job as the draining water sprays out right at the shut off valve. But some water must travel down this extra water pipe and into a pit of some sort.

I was not please to find the wet rag underneath the vapor barrier. I did not want to mess with that crap unless I was all geared up. Looks like I need to pull up the vapor barrier and make sure the pit is draining well. Did not see heavy molding, but imagine there could/should be.

Something to look forward to. GREAT!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Ok I think I figured it out, it is a drain line.

Was under the house yesterday and storing some summer gear. Thought about the line again so I went to mess with it.

The valve on the extra line was open. I opened it and closed it several times, while allowing time between it. It seems like there is not water/pressure in the line. the plastic hose runs down into the vapor barrier. I notice allot of white hard water deposited like staining on the cinder block foundation at the edge of the vapor barrier near this hose/pipe. So I rip a small opening in the vapor barrier to see what is underneath. A wet towel/rag!!!

What I think is going on is when you shut off the main water coming into the house the lines in the hose self drain out of a relief valve. The draining water is suppose to drain through this extra line. It doesn't do the best job as the draining water sprays out right at the shut off valve. But some water must travel down this extra water pipe and into a pit of some sort.

I was not please to find the wet rag underneath the vapor barrier. I did not want to mess with that crap unless I was all geared up. Looks like I need to pull up the vapor barrier and make sure the pit is draining well. Did not see heavy molding, but imagine there could/should be.

Something to look forward to. GREAT!!!
Condensate drain or T & P discharge pipe from the water heater ?

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,164
sounds like it was a summer use house.