User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Anything to worry about? GSX650f

Local shop has one. I wont say how much because i'm prepared to pay too much for it. One owner, 3k miles, dropped once with very slight road rash.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Ed-B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
There's a forum specific to this bike with a lot of information:

http://gsx650f.freeforums.org/gsx650f-forum-f1.html

You might also consider a Bandit 1250. While the GSX650F is a very good bike, it's virtually the same size and weight as the 1250, with half the displacement and less power. Used Bandits can be had at very reasonable prices, too. Don't overpay for the GSX650F.

I'm using a GSX650F saddle and a lower handlebar on my Bandit 1250, and the ergonomics are nearly identical.
Ed-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 548
Be prepared to be laughed at by gixxer owners who think you are posing as one of them.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Be prepared to be laughed at by gixxer owners who think you are posing as one of them.
Hadn't thought of that, I do like the colour scheme though. I'm just not squidly enough for a gixxer.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find a bandit in the same price range with those miles. I have about 700 miles on one of these already, found it supremely comfy up to about 100 mph and with the suspension correctly set it corners well...I've heard people call it a pig but as long as you aren't afraid to commit to a corner it seems to do fine.

Haven't made up my mind yet but moving that direction.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

What's your budget?

One of the things that kept me away from the GSX650F is the plastic parts are expensive to repair...especially if you are just starting off because it's not if, it's when you drop it.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
What's your budget?

One of the things that kept me away from the GSX650F is the plastic parts are expensive to repair...especially if you are just starting off because it's not if, it's when you drop it.
You don't have to lay 'er down every time you ride!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
You don't have to lay 'er down every time you ride!
No one every "lays" down a motorcycle. It's not like you are putting it down for a nap.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
No one every "lays" down a motorcycle. It's not like you are putting it down for a nap.
So what do you call 'softly dropping' an FJR in grass when it starts to get away from you? (not that I did that)

OP, I don't have much to add except I worked with a guy that bought one for his wife, but ended up using it as his commuter. He liked it and I vaguely remember it having a pile of miles on it with little to no claimed problems. He was a Harley guy too, rode that thing in full pirate attire every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Keyf
5 o'clock World

Oddometer: 15
I bought a 2008 in black/silver one year ago and just did a quick 1200 mile ride last weekend on it. I had found that the GSX650Fs do not have any one outstanding problem. Many have found that the TPS was out of adjustment (as was mine) but quickly fixed.

I really like the bike for roads like the Cherohala Skyway and it is an excellent highway machine. Most aftermarket items for the 1250 fit the 650.

Keyf
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I think these bikes are awesome looking. I would love to take one for a ride...but they are hard to find in my area. Nothing but pirates and squids so, it's normally HD's/cruisers and SS bikes.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
What's your budget?

Maybe 5k. Some of that will be on credit though. I'm not worried about dropping it, I have wrecked one bike but I'm at 6' 4" and pretty strong so I don't have a problem keeping them upright at low speed. Good point about the plastic though
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Gsx 650 f

I bought a '08 in 2012 as kind of an "interim" bike, planning to buy a BMW 800 ST when funds allowed. After the first season, I fell in love with it & forgot all about the ST. I've got 18,000 on it now, all without a single problem. It's reliable as a brick. My only complaint is the blue/white, classic, Zooki colors. They look gorgeous, but attract just a bit too much attention from the local Ct. troopers. Surprisingly, the ergos are almost exactly the same as my old Connie C-10, just minus 150 + lbs. Here in Ct. I paid $4888.00 plus my 11 year old Concours (w. 50 K. miles). That was everything, taxes, registry transfer, (plus the center stand), out the door.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

How about a Kawasaki Ninja 650? Vstrom 650 or even a 1000?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I bought a '08 in 2012 as kind of an "interim" bike, planning to buy a BMW 800 ST when funds allowed. After the first season, I fell in love with it & forgot all about the ST. I've got 18,000 on it now, all without a single problem. It's reliable as a brick. My only complaint is the blue/white, classic, Zooki colors. They look gorgeous, but attract just a bit too much attention from the local Ct. troopers. Surprisingly, the ergos are almost exactly the same as my old Connie C-10, just minus 150 + lbs. Here in Ct. I paid $4888.00 plus my 11 year old Concours (w. 50 K. miles). That was everything, taxes, registry transfer, (plus the center stand), out the door.
It does grow on you.

I borrowed my buddy's 20011 last night and put about 25 miles on it. The first few I was having trouble finding the power band and getting it moving, but then it clicked and I remembered how much fun it is.

Thing is, I don't think it's as fun as the SV. My current ride is an Curvy SV650S but it needs major suspension work and probably a new clutch and master cylinder. Fixing it would be cheeper than buying a new machine but I'm still stuck with a cosmetically questionable bike with 29,000 miles on it. (I've only had it for the last 5k so I don't know how well it was cared for.

I'm sure the GSX650F would be reliable and fun but it has no...soul. I sound like a britbike owner, I know. I think I may just be in love with that 90 degree twin on the SV. It speaks to me.

Another shop has a DL1000 for not much wampum, I'm going to see if they will let me test drive it sat and report back.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Heavy for a 650, but apart from that?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote