Oddometer: 886
Pella Thermastar Windows

Any one have experience with these windows - I need to do the house, thanks
JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 668
i do not have experience with those specific windows - but i'd like to add a little unsolicited advice - don't replace the windows with energy savings in mind. if the windows need to be replaced and you are thinking "hey, lets get some better windows while we are at it" then, good on ya, but on energy savings alone, windows almost NEVER pay for themselves in less than 20 years.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i do not have experience with those specific windows - but i'd like to add a little unsolicited advice - don't replace the windows with energy savings in mind. if the windows need to be replaced and you are thinking "hey, lets get some better windows while we are at it" then, good on ya, but on energy savings alone, windows almost NEVER pay for themselves in less than 20 years.
Good point. Yeah, I need the windows-I've got about 13 windows in the house that need to be redone. The reason I'm looking at the Pella, is that Lowes sells them, And I was looking at them when I visited the store this morning. I've heard that Anderson makes good ones As well, and I was interested to get some feedback on Pella, Or any other brand that might make sense.

The price I got from Lowes was a roughly $400 per window-I think I need to check into Anderson as well
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,802
We recently built a new house and put Marvin Integrity windows in it.

We priced out Pella, but they were twice the price of Marvin. (I suspect the guy doing the quote messed it up, but even our GC said that they were usually the most expensive). I'm very impressed with the quality of the Marvin windows- I would do it again. Marvin and Anderson were about the same price.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
S3bird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I sold windows for 11 years when I worked at Menards including Crestline, Jeld Wen, Anderson and Pella (not a full dealer though). I will say Anderson was absolutely the hardest to work with but part of that was because we had to get them through a third party (terrible service) before eventually dropping them all together. My experience with Pella was positive as we hardly ever had any problems and if we did the Reps were good at taking care of the problem. I haven't sold windows for five years now so I'm out of the loop but the higher end homes around here will either have Pella or Marvin. They are too rich for my blood as I have replaced all of the windows in my own house with Jeld Wen pocket windows.

It was pretty typical for someone brag up a brand and shortly afterwards another guy would talk what a POS that same brand was.
S3bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Pella

We've put in one bay window, one bow window ( 1 has two screened windows that open and the other just 1), 1- 6' and 1- 8' sliding door in the front of the house and 2 - 6' sliding doors in the man cave. Also 4 of their windows in the front of the house. I've been verify satisfied with them and am crazy about the little blinds on the inside of the doors. They did a great job of closing up the holes where the standard pane windows were losing a bunch of heat in winter and cool in summer. They did seem to be a tad pricey but I'd buy them again.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
I've got Anderson and they work!!!!! Been installed since 1971 with no issues.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Dieseldoc
retired

Oddometer: 43
Pella Windows

We replaced our two "sunny side" windows and a sliding door with Pella Thermastar windows about 7 years ago. It made a huge difference in the living room in the afternoon when the sun hit the west side of the house. They have been flawless, with one minor exception. They are single hung type windows and the lift assist mechanism broke on one of them.

I took the part over to Lowes, where we purchased the windows, and the window guy told me they weren't available and couldn't even be ordered from the factory. I might find them at a glass shop. Home Depot is on the way home, so I stopped there and the window guy knew exactly what I needed and ordered them for me. It only took two days since they came from a local supplier.

I wanted to replace the three front windows and another slider, so I went to Home Depot. We got the Simonton brand due to their lifetime warranty, even for glass breakage. Good quality units and a piece of cake to install. One of them was damaged in shipping and there was no problem getting it replaced. They even told me to keep the damaged one in case I broke a glass.

I did break a glass in the Pella slider, hit it with a rock from my string trimmer. DUMB ASS!
Sliding door sized, tempered, double pane, Low-E glass, with 1" grids, $389.00!
That was the money I'd set aside for a motorcycle trip up Highway 1 to Monterey last year.

EDIT: Do a search on Pella window problems, apparently there are a lot of issues with their wood and casement type windows.

Dieseldoc screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 01:47 PM Reason: more information
Dieseldoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 1,986
Personally, I would not purchase Pella.

I knew them to be a "value" window years ago, at some point they ramped up their pricing while quality remained the same.

Here's an eye opener- customer has a large houseful of Pella windows & doors circa mid 1980's; in the course of a project there i noticed all the casement windows(ALL of them) had broken hardware, so I called the Co... Well, they don't make that hardware anymore but there is a retro-fit kit available. OK. How much & lead time? Oh no, we don't sell the kit but we'll send a "tech" out to install @ $110/hr, minimum charge of 8 hrs.

Yeah,ok.

So those casements are now Marvin units.

I have installed many & prefer Andersen or Marvin; Jeld-Wen makes some nice products as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,833
My 25 year old Pella sliding doors were such crap I'll never forgive them. (I'm sure they are better now.) I also vote with Adam for the Marvins. Looking at his house build thread there is little doubt that he did quite a bit of research. I also looked at most companies while rebuilding our lodge. Marvin won hands down in quality and what you got for your dollar. Six years later I'm still very happy with them.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Oddometer: 4,716
No experience with Pella but I have an Anderson Silverline (replacement line) bow window and I loath it. The crank handles may have been made of marshmallow fluff. Wouldn't be too big a problem if the mechanism worked properly... but it sucks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
If I was building a new high end home, Pella maybe.
Retrofitting my 1968 ranch, Window World worked out just fine for the money
Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #13
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 38,946
Stay away from Pella - we did the back half replacement in Pella plus front door, screen doors and a French door leading out onto the deck. Absolute garbage.

JMHO.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
When I did windows on my house years ago I found a big commercial supply company that sold unbranded windows. They were excellent quality (double pane, low-e, energy-saving, can clean from the inside, and all that good stuff), substantially less expensive than Pella/Anderson, and are holding up perfectly. I think Pella/Anderson have a substantial brand-name upcharge. Get the window equivalent of Kirkland potato chips

Also watch for use of wood in windows. I prefer windows with zero wood, at least in damp climates, b/c wood tends to rot out in short order.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
JohnBoy777 OP
Pseudo-Adventurist

I decided to just get one window In the kitchen installed from Lowe's, and then see how I like The low-end of the Pella line. I'm 59 so the windows only have to last may be, 20 years tops, If I am Lucky --me that is not the windows. I just don't want to get crap windows Because I'm trying to save a few bucks. That never works out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: