Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #31
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Road King. Or some other Harley. Never pass up the chance to buy a Harley if you can afford one.
I had a pair of them, haven't particularly missed either one, in fact my ex had a pair of them, and I don't miss those two pain in my asses either. Despite at least 50,000 miles on that Ultra Classic.

Not to mention that the used market is hardly unaffordable, in my area Sportsters go in the $5000-8000 range used, Dyna's from 8-10 softails the same and tourers 10+ used.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #32
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 762
A lot will depend on where you ride. In the hills of PA the R3 can make all the passes while the buds on the RoadKings usually get stuck behind as they cannot make the pass in the small spaces we get to do so.

This is a consideration worth noting if your conditions are similar. Yes, we have a 88 twin cam in the garage along with the others so I have some experience here. In the hills the 110's stay with the R3, the 103, 96, and 88 not so often. Getting stuck behind 3 semi trucks thru 30 miles of elevation change stinks.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I have the rocket 3 tourer ,, make note thats the tourer not the touring or classic , Its the one that comes standard with hard bags and screen .

With the longhaul seat and backrest , its the most comfortable bike i've ever owned , the power is awsome , mileage i get 35-40 miles per gallon good for a big bike , once moving it handles very very well , now i'm used to it , it handles just has good has the road king in the slow stuff .

Don't let anyone tell you these bikes don't handle well , i use mine mainly for 2 up and touring , , for day rides and playing in the hills , i use a v strom , which I can throw around easier , BUT when my mate is with me on his rocket i cannot keep up with him even in the tight twistie stuff ,

The rocket will be able to handle ANYTHING the rider can throw at it , its only limited ny the riders skills .

The road king is limited by clearance , the rocket has a lot more clearance .
If you get a rocket , be prepared to talk a lot because every where you go people want to talk about them , Then again the touring model doeas look like a road king on steroids .....Good look with your choice . Oh by the way the problems they were noted for , not all bikes had them , and they were all ironed out by 2008 , so i would be inclined to go for a 2008 or later , i've had 50,000 trouble free klm .
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
Celtic Curmudgeon OP
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 278
I'm planning to look at a local 06 RIII that has < 3k miles. Living in S Florida, the riding is suited for cruisers,most of the roads are fairly strait and flatter than central Kansas. I like Harleys, but can do without the whole Harley subculture thing.. The way I see it, the RIII is ideal for a middle-aged bloke like me who is a former sportbike and ST type, ready for the comfort of a cruiser, but won't let go of that inner hooligan. It's also completely unique, youd don't see many of them.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
This isnt even a contest! Rocket III for the win with 150 hp and 160 ft.lbs of torque!! plus supposedly its good for 172 mph at Bonneville

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 02:03 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I'll be the contrarian...

I've test ridden the '13 RK and a friend let me ride his '10 R III Roadster.

IMO, the R3 has (no surprise) the motor, but the RK is easier to handle. All the weight on the R3 feels like it's low and in front of you. On the RK it feels low but more evenly distributed front to back.

The R3 is all about torque and power - it's a more is more bike. The RK is more of a pootle-along and enjoy the scenery bike. While I appreciate the R3, I wouldn't want to own one. The RK I would consider, paint-shaker hop at idle and all.

If you want to go fast, get something else entirely.

My $0.02
Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Holy shit! I don't really keep up with cruisers, but I never knew the Rocket put out that kinda power! yikes.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #38
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
Holy shit! I don't really keep up with cruisers, but I never knew the Rocket put out that kinda power! yikes.
...and that is way undertuned.

Guys are changing the airboxes and retuning to pull in the ballpark of +170hp plus. Built engines are passing 200.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #39
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
...and that is way undertuned.

Guys are changing the airboxes and retuning to pull in the ballpark of +170hp plus. Built engines are passing 200.

Haha. insane.

I don't see why it shouldn't, after all, it has more cc's than a good % of cars these days.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #40
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
I don't like pushing 800 pound anything to back up, especially in a campground or other uneven ground like the unpaved roads I venture down to find a secluded camping spot or outdoor toilet. There are at least three companies that sell reverse gearing kits for the Harley, Victory offers reverse as an option, but what about Triumph?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #41
Izzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I'm on my 2nd Rocket III, never heard of a reverse kit. Love the bikes, they're a blast to ride and haven't given me any problems. Some of the early ones, though, had major transmission and final drive issues. I wouldn't buy anything earlier than an 08 unless you were sure it had the complete update kit installed.
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #42
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I had a pair of them, haven't particularly missed either one, in fact my ex had a pair of them, and I don't miss those two pain in my asses either. Despite at least 50,000 miles on that Ultra Classic.

Not to mention that the used market is hardly unaffordable, in my area Sportsters go in the $5000-8000 range used, Dyna's from 8-10 softails the same and tourers 10+ used.
Damn! I need to start buying used bikes and shipping them east! The market for all used bikes is pretty soft here (naturally it's almost winter in the high country.) But even this summer it was as soft as I've seen it for quite a few years.

Edit: you might look into Valkyrie as well. I have a friend who's had two of them, likes them a lot and they've been utterly bomb proof for him.

Personally I'd pick the Road King hands down but I'll bet that Rocket would be a bunch of FUN!At least for a while...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #43
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,038
Get a 650 Burgman, for 99% of what you will actually be doing with it it will far outperform any cruiser on the market.Has better weather protection,more storage,cheaper to insure,easier to maintain and your old lady may even decide to give ir a whirl. That last one could also be a negative.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #44
Celtic Curmudgeon OP
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
This isnt even a contest! Rocket III for the win with 150 hp and 160 ft.lbs of torque!! plus supposedly its good for 172 mph at Bonneville

Just closed the deal on a 2007 RIII Classic. Going to get rid of the Caponord, though.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Never ridden a R3, but it reminds me of the fist gen V-Max. It has more power than the pipe rack chassis can handle. Fun in a straight line, but in curves it's just a big heavy bike that doesn't handle well. The Goldwing likely handles better than any of the others, but it just has too much plastic, and while the mechanical part is mostly reliable, it is loaded with gadgets, and they tend to fail. I had a '95 1500, and it had lots of problems, but never left me stranded. The stereo didn't work when I bought it, but I never understood the concept of a stereo on a bike anyway.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote