User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
rpeter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Inviting Criticism

Please let me know what I should have done differently.

At first I was thinking "Okay, that taxi just put on a turn signal, it will pull into the middle of the intersection and wait for an opening." The next thought was "Oh crap that driver is making the turn no matter what." And then I was swerving and braking hard with feet on the pegs, and then I was letting it tip over as gently as I could.

Should I just come to an emergency stop every time I see someone use their turn signal at the last moment?

Bike damage is minor, no bodily injuries. Everyone is fine.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
at least you didn't do what some may have done

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
It's pretty hard to criticize since you seemed in the right. But since you asked for advice, here's my thought on it. Think about whether you had the situational awareness you should have had. Did you predict the guy would turn into your lane? You were well positioned behind the crosswalk - generally a good thing. But you seemed to accelerate a little too much into the intersection. Maybe a little less throttle and more concentration on the big pic. You have to look at left and right, but also at the straight ahead, especially when you see the blinker and know where the guy is headed. If I were to concentrate my advice - be aware of left, right, and ahead as you sweep your view before proceeding into the intersection. I think with a little less throttle you would have braked and stayed upright as the guy passed in front of you. Anyway, glad you came out okay.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,951
That's a bummer, glad you and the bike are no worse for the wear. This is one of our biggest dangers at intersections, drivers entering your right of way. as ADVBMW stated, you accelerated a bit fast into the intersection and assumed that the cab saw you. It sucks, but sometimes you just have to give up your right of way to keep from being hit. Just be more aware in the fact that cagers can't figure out how fast we are going, and how close we are to them. Go to a parking lot and practice your emergency breaking and swerving. And if you get a chance, take an MSF class. Being in a group of riders, talking about accident avoidance helps kickstart your brain in to recognizing danger sooner.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
at least you didn't do what some may have done

Why would you bury your gun?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 749
There really isn't anything you could have done differently, at least you were geared up. Glad you're you and your bike are ok.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
Seemed like slow reaction time to me.
I would have expected the car to try and beat traffic and would have been ready.

If you are going to bolt through intersections quickly, you had better be ready for that.

Bikes are a lot quicker then cars, and car drivers expect car performance.

Also, you need to look for cross traffic, someone might run the yellow, and if you bolt out the second the light changes, you could get taken out from the left.

If you want to be safe, treat every intersection as a high risk zone.

Half the drivers are texting, the other half are in a big hurry and will push things.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
Looks like the same kind of shit that's happened to me about a 1000 times over the years (lots of 'em), with a happier ending though.
Be ready for the stupidest thing the "other guy" could possibly do, they'll do it, and you'll not be surprised.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Glad it turned out OK, but...

Yes, he was wrong for not waiting.

But I agree that it looks like you accelerated pretty quickly into the intersection... not just in terms of speed but in terms of amount of time after you got the green light. It's dark, looks damp... little motorcycle headlights get lost in all that other glare in that situation. It's probably a light he's jumped successfully many times before.

And *MSF hat on* remember to have your handlebars squared when you stop. If you must swerve and brake, be sure to separate the actions.

*Back to regular rider*

The problem with swerving to avoid a vehicle turning into your path is that you have no idea which is the safest direction to swerve.
In your case, you went right... but if that cab hadn't stopped, you'd be heading right into his path of travel.
But, if you went left, there's the chance you would've hit him because he stopped.

BTW, did you call the cab company and report him?
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
travlr_45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzoSteel View Post
Why would you bury your gun?

Or shoot the shovel?
travlr_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Your mistake was not expecting the left turn in front of you. Technical fault means nothing since even though this one was minor, you lost. I agree, you entered with too much acceleration which cut down your reaction time to his turn. There are times to ride aggressive, and time to be tentative. Anytime a car is in a left turn lane you must be ready, watch the drivers face(hard to do at night), watch his front tires, if they are already cocked in your direction it's Defcon 2(cover the brake and clutch levers), if you see the tires turning even though he is not moving forward...Defcon 3(begin to brake and aim for you escape route that you should have already plotted). Also at night, the headlights betray movement.

You are asking the right questions, learn from this one to avoid the next...there will always be a "next".
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Seemed like slow reaction time to me.
I would have expected the car to try and beat traffic and would have been ready.

If you are going to bolt through intersections quickly, you had better be ready for that.

Bikes are a lot quicker then cars, and car drivers expect car performance.

Also, you need to look for cross traffic, someone might run the yellow, and if you bolt out the second the light changes, you could get taken out from the left.

If you want to be safe, treat every intersection as a high risk zone.

Half the drivers are texting, the other half are in a big hurry and will push things.

rpeter,

It is great you are willing to openly accept constructive criticism; experienced riders on Adv will not only offer great advice but also hold you accountable for your actions. In my opinion, NJ-Brett lends wisdom you should take to heart. You were riding as if you had the visibility (and protection) a car would afford, and that assumption can be lethal.

Wishing you all the best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
rpeter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses and the time that went into them. I agree that I was just taking off too hot for that crowded intersection. I blame the need for a cathartic purge of heavy nicotine withdrawal I should have immediately eased off when I saw that turn signal suddenly light up. I honestly just thought he was pulling into the middle of the intersection until I had passed. Won't make that mistake again!

I actually practice emergency braking all of the time. I love to do it when I'm approaching stop lights and no one else is around, just to see in how short a distance I can do the stop. The complication this time was the swerve at the end, which I never thought I would need to practice.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
I think I would not try and dodge the car, just brake as hard as I could.
You do not know what the car is going to do, speed up to try and avoid you, or brake hard when and if they see you.

In some situations, it might be safe to dodge behind the car if you have room and time.
If I was to have to hit something, I want to be going as slow as possible.

Put me in the camp of people who think there is almost never a reason to crash on the street if you do not want to.

I decide when, where and how to ride, and have never had a problem with a car/traffic for 40 years.

I think the biggest part of it is not riding on bad roads at bad times.
Some roads in my area are just unsafe no matter how good you are, or how safe you ride.
Some riders seem to think they can ride anywhere at any time, but they can't if they want to be safe.

Riding at night, in the rain, has the risk factor go up 90%, people can not see, traction is limited and varies widely spot to spot.
I would be riding very slow and gently if I had to go.

That or get a dual sport, armor up, and have fun bouncing off stuff...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
You are too trusting.
Cars do stupid stuff constantly.
Don't be there when they do.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote