ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #16
foggy50361
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: God's back garden, Wales
Oddometer: 74
Thumb I think you did good

We all have to assume that in general people will abide by the traffic rules, or you'll never get anywhere. It is my right of way so I could accelerate how ever I want, yes you must be aware of everything that is going on around you and you were, as you stopped, but the taxi driver is a pr*ck! You did good. I would have called the LEO on him saying I smelt booze. F*cking pr*ck (have I said that once).
On a serious note, do you guys in the States have "Driving without due care and attention" as an offence like here in the UK, I would have provided the video as evidence.

The only thing I think you could improve is not dropping your bike next time you have to do an E/stop!
__________________
This is only my opinion, other opinions are available on request.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."
"I do not like green eggs and ham".
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,377
Do not come to the US and ride!

Safe riding in the US demands just the opposite, assume everyone is going to do something really stupid.
People go through red lights, pass on the right, change lanes without looking, make left turns from the right lane, right turns from the left lane, make illegal turns, U turn without a signal (or looking), speed, go slow in the passing lane, stop for no reason, text, eat, put on makeup, fool with the gps while driving in heavy fast traffic.

This all happens at 70 to 80 mph, with people in huge SUV's and pick up trucks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
We all have to assume that in general people will abide by the traffic rules, or you'll never get anywhere. It is my right of way so I could accelerate how ever I want
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
hurielg
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
........Be ready for the stupidest thing the "other guy" could possibly do, they'll do it, and you'll not be surprised.


CW
That's how I think when I ride. I had a passenger tell me "You ride like you're scared." It's not about being scared, it's about staying out of the hospital. Intersections are a war zone. I never pull out after it's green until I look left and right and then at the guy across from me. Drivers do what the taxi did ALL OF THE TIME (NY, NJ, PA).

And as long as you're taking constructive criticism, it looked like you could have hit the brakes a little harder. When I took the MSF course, I had zero motorcycle riding experience. I learned a lot, but something I always wanted to focus on was breaking hard and quick maneuvers. I practiced in a parking lot over and over again until you can lift the rear of the bike and stop very quickly. Practice, practice, practice. I dropped the bike a few times because my feet were too slow to come down.

A car was in front of me once and she missed her turn so she just cut the wheel to the left. I was following a little too close for comfort (my fault) but I hit the brakes so hard that I stood the rear wheel up on my GSX-R750 and I was staring at the ground. When I came back down (did not drop the bike) I was next to the driver's side window with the woman screaming AT ME. They all get out and start yelling at me. I was just in disbelief that I didn't drop my bike and didn't hit the car. I slowly walked my bike backwards and went around them while they were still yelling.
hurielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
filmfan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 648
In the Northeast, at least the part around here and Mass. it's a really common thing for left turners to try and get the jump on the opposing traffic going straight from a stop light when it turns green. Moreover, a lot of people going straight in those situations hesitate when there is a left turner on the other side.
If the left turner is a taxi or perhaps a boy-racer Honda, it's maybe best to figure they will jump.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,801
did you have YOUR indicator on?
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
rpeter OP
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
did you have YOUR indicator on?
No, at night it is very easy to see the blinking amber reflection in the lower corner of the video when my indicator is on, even under decent lighting.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
No, at night it is very easy to see the blinking amber reflection in the lower corner of the video when my indicator is on, even under decent lighting.
ahh i just watched the video again i though that you were wanting to turn right too but now i see you were wanting to go straight through.
It seems to me you were slow to react to his turning.Its easy to be superior in hindsight tho
__________________
aka BMWST?
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
yourdrunkdad
I just wanna ride!!
 
yourdrunkdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: STFU, U NAZI
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post




This
__________________
For being a people person, I really don't like very many people.
yourdrunkdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer
 
JOKER650's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: British Columbia , Canada.....Eh
Oddometer: 1,533
Well.....
It was totally his fault..BUT
I actually thought u were making a RH turn at first

Glad ur ok
__________________
Life's short...ride far

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
rpeter OP
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
Well.....
It was totally his fault..BUT
I actually thought u were making a RH turn at first

Glad ur ok
I can understand why it looks that way. The street doesn't go through that intersection in a straight line. In the direction that I am traveling, the other side of the street is offset to the right and then angles off to the right as well.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
If I planned to exercise my right of way and I suspected that the taxi driver might try to make a quick turn I would have warned him by hitting my high beams as the light turned green. Did he at least offer to pay for any damage?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
rpeter OP
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 88
Just a couple of other misunderstandings that I've seen voiced here. The taxi across the street is not in a turn lane. It would be in that position whether it was turning left or going straight. The road is not wet. Also, that intersection is wide open and you can see for half a mile in either direction from my position. So I knew there was no cross traffic coming when the light changed.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
rpeter OP
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
If I planned to exercise my right of way and I suspected that the taxi driver might try to make a quick turn I would have warned him by hitting my high beams as the light turned green. Did he at least offer to pay for any damage?
Flashing high beams here means that you are giving up your right of way, and telling the other driver to proceed.

The procedure in Massachusetts for incidents like this is for both drivers to exchange license and insurance information, and within five days submit a crash report to the local police and state registry of motor vehicles. The taxi driver insisted that since there was no actual contact, he had no fault and so wasn't going to give me any information. At that point I called police to the scene. The police officer was very irritated at having to be there, it was kind of funny. All the officer did was instruct us to exchange information.

I later gave the taxi driver the cost of the three parts that were damaged and asked whether he would like to take care of it off the record, or to get insurance companies involved. He threatened to have me investigated for insurance fraud, so off to my insurance company I went.

Just have to see where it goes from here.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #29
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
Flashing high beams here means that you are giving up your right of way, and telling the other driver to proceed.

The procedure in Massachusetts for incidents like this is for both drivers to exchange license and insurance information, and within five days submit a crash report to the local police and state registry of motor vehicles. The taxi driver insisted that since there was no actual contact, he had no fault and so wasn't going to give me any information. At that point I called police to the scene. The police officer was very irritated at having to be there, it was kind of funny. All the officer did was instruct us to exchange information.

I later gave the taxi driver the cost of the three parts that were damaged and asked whether he would like to take care of it off the record, or to get insurance companies involved. He threatened to have me investigated for insurance fraud, so off to my insurance company I went.

Just have to see where it goes from here.
Thanks to your vid it seems like a pretty open and shut case for the insurance company.

Did you show the vid to the police? You'd think they could at least charge the driver with reckless driving as you had the right of way.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
rpeter OP
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks to your vid it seems like a pretty open and shut case for the insurance company.

Did you show the vid to the police? You'd think they could at least charge the driver with reckless driving as you had the right of way.
I put the youtube address in the crash report that I submitted to the police department. I'd at least like to see the driver cited, but don't honestly expect them to do anything.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014