Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #31
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Cars do stupid stuff constantly.
Don't be there when they do.
That would require that we all ride on closed courses.
A beter choice is to be actively engaged in assessing every potential hazard during a ride (particularly in an urban environment).
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #32
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
You are too trusting.
Cars do stupid stuff constantly.
Don't be there when they do.
K-moe, I think what he means is to anticipate the stupid stuff, take immediate action, and not be there when it happens.

Kent, your quote although short, pretty much says it all

Practicing emergency braking is a excellent idea. However, if done unsupervised without either very experienced riders or instructors, it is risky if your bike does not have ABS. The reason is: a front wheel lock up at any real speed tends to break parts on the bike and body. The advanced MSF courses teach proper emergency braking, and also braking in a curve.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
Kudos to you for inviting critique. All I would say is that you learn from this experience, and good to see you wearing all your gear. I am of the mindset, that it is always my fault if something happens - thinking like this will force you to try and anticipate what every one else is going to do.
My only critique is that you seemed to accelerate away very quickly from the intersection. You assumed that nothing would happen, and this was your error. Never assume that anyone is going to obey the rules of the road. When at an intersection, faced with on-coming vehicles, I always will wait a few seconds to see what drivers around me are going to do. I would rather yield the right of way to another driver, if it turns an unknown into a known. This is driving defensivley, not offensively (this doesnt mean riding slowly waiting for an attack) if you need to use speed to get the hell away, do it.)
Next time - wait a sec, watch, decide and then ride.
or - Search, evaluate, execute.
Good Luck to you. Drive Defense, not offense.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
I'm not gonna jump on you for not anticipating he that he would have pulled in front of you - I wouldn't have anticipated it either. What I would have done, however, was lay on my horn as soon as I realized the cabby was moving. Might have gotten him to stop a split second sooner and given you enough space for your evasive maneuvers.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #35
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Especially if wait a few seconds on green, be sure to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind when the light changes to green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Kudos to you for inviting critique. All I would say is that you learn from this experience, and good to see you wearing all your gear. I am of the mindset, that it is always my fault if something happens - thinking like this will force you to try and anticipate what every one else is going to do. ...... When at an intersection, faced with on-coming vehicles, I always will wait a few seconds to see what drivers around me are going to do. I would rather yield the right of way to another driver, if it turns an unknown into a known. This is driving defensivley, not offensively (this doesnt mean riding slowly waiting for an attack) if you need to use speed to get the hell away, do it.)
Next time - wait a sec, watch, decide and then ride.
or - Search, evaluate, execute.
Good Luck to you. Drive Defense, not offense.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
Please let me know what I should have done differently.

At first I was thinking "Okay, that taxi just put on a turn signal, it will pull into the middle of the intersection and wait for an opening." The next thought was "Oh crap that driver is making the turn no matter what." And then I was swerving and braking hard with feet on the pegs, and then I was letting it tip over as gently as I could.

Should I just come to an emergency stop every time I see someone use their turn signal at the last moment?

Bike damage is minor, no bodily injuries. Everyone is fine.
my only criticism is you reacted too slow. you had 1-2 seconds to react but just held your ground. City riders need to be like ninjas. once a driver points his vehicle in your path, you have to move. they move slow. you could have accelerated faster at light or swerved behind to the left. Alternatively, if you don't like being that aggressive just wait 2 -5 seconds after a light changes.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #37
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Riding in one of the most congested areas of the country, I make it a point to have a pretty good idea of what everyone in an intersection is doing when my light turns green. I double-check that all cross traffic has stopped, and that that oncoming left-turner isn't trying to jump the light before moving out. Sometimes, I get honked by the guy behind me, but that's fine - worst that could happen is that I may get bumped from behind, which is definitely more acceptable to a T-bone in the intersection.

I think if you had just waited a second when the light turned green, you would've seen that the cab was going and not going to yield the right of way.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #38
dr_man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The same thing happened to me but I had a green light when approaching the intersection so was going much faster.
Long story short, the guy turned in the front of me just when I entered the intersection, I did a sudden turn to the right which saved me from t-boning him. Then 50 meters of rolling, me and the bike behind me.
I was lucky the bike went to the side and rolled passed me when I was stopped by a lamp post.
The motorcycle was totaled, I luckily ended up with sprained ankle only.

I was inexperienced back then and assumed that a green light is a ticket to go. Now I know that the accident could have been easily avoided if I slowed down and did not trust the guy in the front of me to respect my right of way.

Today, every time I am approaching an intersection, I slow down and try to make an eye contact with the driver in the front of me.

It seems to me that you assumed that he will not turn, which is a very dangerous thing to do, also you reacted bit too slow, rode bit too fast, he was already turning when you entered the intersection...

dr_man screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 09:40 AM
dr_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
My 2, rpeter ~

It's dark, wet and an intersection. Three reasons to be extra careful.

The time to accelerate in this case is after you've cleared the traffic in the intersection, not before. I can totally identify with your thinking here that the taxi is merely creeping to the middle and then waiting for your transit, but that's really just an assumption, nothing more. If your speed had been slower, then your braking distance is that much shorter. Maybe you could have stopped in time without the lay-down.

Side note: without a quick, left-right head check right as the light turned green, you could be having some much more serious concerns than simply some scratched bike parts.

Glad you're OK and thanks for posting.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #40
NHKTM990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Im certainly no expert, but gas gets you out of alot more trouble than brakes do when it comes to MC's. Snap the throttle and get past the trouble. also, years of motorcycling has taught me to watch the tires, it will tell you the drivers intentions.
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
1). Be more visible. Hi viz helmet and or jacket may have helped.
2). Put yourself in the most visible part of the lane. You may have already been doing this, I couldn't tell.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
All it takes is your high beam when the light turns green to signal you intend to exercise your right of way...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #43
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
All it takes is your high beam when the light turns green to signal you intend to exercise your right of way...
I'd be cautious with this advice. Different folks interpret this differently. Some folks think it means:

"After you...."

others think it means

"I'm coming through; you better look out!"
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #44
rpeter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I'd be cautious with this advice. Different folks interpret this differently. Some folks think it means:

"After you...."

others think it means

"I'm coming through; you better look out!"
Yeah, around here it means you are giving up your right of way.
rpeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_man View Post

Today, every time I am approaching an intersection, I slow down and try to make an eye contact with the driver in the front of me..
Dr, I have have more people looking straight at me, and proceed to cut me off, than I can count. The eye contact seems to mean little when on the bike. Don't trust it.

Slow done and try to anticipate every dumb-ass move the cagers can come up with. The little bastids' will still surprise you.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote