User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Surfdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
living on a boat....

So... I'm thinking of living on a sail boat... Anyone living on boat want to tell me about it ?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
Where do you put the garage?
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Living as in keep the boat docked and using it as a home? Or living as in travel the world?

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
If I could work from the lake I love, I'd live on a houseboat there. Shoot, if i had a big cabin cruiser I'd live on that.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog View Post
So... I'm thinking of living on a sail boat... Anyone living on boat want to tell me about it ?
I will let you know in a year or two.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
My uncle just recently moved to one of his rental houses after living on his sailboat for... oh, say 15 years. I also have met many people who were liveaboards. It takes a certain kind of person, but if you're one of those people, it's really wonderful. It's the same type of person that can live in one of the "tiny houses". If you can do without a lot of "things", it's great being able to take your house out for the weekend. People worry about space, but if you're a bachelor, or it's just you and a wife (on a large enough boat) you have to wonder... in your house, you have what, 2-4 bedrooms? Without children, what do you do with the extra bedrooms? The answer of course, is fill them with shit that you don't need and never use. How many bathrooms does the average house have? 2-3? Why do you need 3 shitters for one person? The only reason is convenience... when you're upstairs, you shit upstairs. When you're downstairs, you shit there. Solve that problem by not having 2 floors.

BUT, you have to take some things into consideration. First, it's not as cheap as most people think. Liveaboard costs in a large marina will run you about $400+/month. Then there's the cost of maintenance, which adds up to more than a small house usually. You also have to factor in haul-outs, zincs, bottom paint, deck coatings etc etc. It adds up.

If I were you, I'd try renting a boat for about 2 weeks. While it won't really give you an idea. Think long and hard before commiting. If you're "that" kind of person, it's a wonderful thing, with a lot of positive aspects. If you're not... it will be hell.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
I lived on aboard my 26 foot sloop for three months one summer when I started my current job. We have a pretty good little club, with showers and all the trimmings. I was by myself, so it was really kind of cool. My car at the time was a large Dodge camper van. It acted as my closet/storage unit. If I was single, and we didn't have winters, I'd have stayed on the boat. I would toss everything into the V berth and spend my days off sailing. As one poster stated.....try it for a few weeks first.
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
Lived aboard my Westsail 32 for about 15yrs. LOVED it!!! Helped a lot being a bachelor. You DO have to trim back all your shit as there is limited space (although the Westsail had a huge amount of storage for its size)....which is actually a bonus. Loved sitting on deck reading, watching the sun go down. Quiet mornings without a ripple on the water....good times. Never knew it when there was a power outage as I was on 12v and solar panels. Installed a small refrigeration unit into the ice box after several years of using ice. That was my biggest improvement. Biggest downside was keeping a bike stored. Salt water and bikes are NOT a good combo. I think compared to renting a house it was a bit cheaper. Maintenance isn't too bad when you live aboard as long as you keep up with everything. Haul outs every 2-3 yrs were the biggest expense. Did my own zincs for years so no/minimal cost there. I will say it's a lot easier when your young and full of piss and vinegar....
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
snip...

If I were you, I'd try renting a boat for about 2 weeks. While it won't really give you an idea. Think long and hard before commiting. If you're "that" kind of person, it's a wonderful thing, with a lot of positive aspects. If you're not... it will be hell.
a strong +1 on renting or somehow doing a trial run first, I bought a 27' Ericson years ago, tried living on it and it was not for me (despite a couple of years in the Navy living on a big boat before)...but had a LOT of fun sailing and had friends that loved living aboard and made it work.

this thread also reminds me of an adage I read somewhere (maybe here?) "If it flys, floats, or fux....rent it!"

victor441 screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 01:16 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I don't think it'd be for me full time for decades. But I'd sure like to spend a year or three floating around the world. I wouldn't mind eventually switching to a sailboat at a marina and a house on an airpark instead of a house on the water though

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I don't think it'd be for me full time for decades. But I'd sure like to spend a year or three floating around the world. I wouldn't mind eventually switching to a sailboat at a marina and a house on an airpark instead of a house on the water though
I've found that a vast majority of liveaboards are much more likely to move onto shore from their boat than the other way around. Once you get a few years behind you, it gets hard to crawl into V berths, under the deck to play with wiring at odd angles, etc. If you want to do it, don't wait until you're retired or similar, because it probably won't happen. Just my .02
Old 10-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
I lived aboard for several years in my late teens/early 20s. Issues were limited storage, no place to work on cars, motorcycles, etc. Everything metal corrodes/rusts unless it is constantly cleaned.

The biggest down side was waking up to a foot of water over the deck. Boats leak. Pumps die at the worst possible time.

That said, I still love boats and would live aboard a suitable one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,332
I've lived aboard for 20+ years. Still do.

You need to appreciate living simply. You will adapt to not so much crap and clutter.

I live at a nice club with full amenities. Bar, restaurant, pool, hot tub, tennis, gym, laundry, onsite storage lockers, etc.
It makes a difference.

Still dislike doing laundry off the boat and having an offsite garage is not as convenient as an at home set up.

Go for it!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,006
I live aboard part time. Total of about 2.5 years in the last 6 years. I couldn't do it if I didn't have a house to come home to where all my toys and tools are located. As others have said, it is a very minimalist lifestyle. Make sure you can do without. It's the ultimate extension of the "small house" movement. As in, not only is it small but it has no foundation. There are both good and bad attributes associated with that. Mostly good in my view since you can change your view anytime you want.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,402
This is what we are looking to retire on, just have to get rid of our current boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: