Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
This is what we are looking to retire on, just have to get rid of our current boat.

A Crealock 37 has been my dream boat for the last 25 years.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
A Crealock 37 has been my dream boat for the last 25 years.
We found one, a 2002 model, cheap enough that we could do 2 boats for a bit. Two things kept us from buying it, no separate shower area and the lilliputian sized galley. If they would just shrink the starboard settee then they could add a foot to the head and enlarge the galley. Moving the sink more to the centerline would also be nice as they fill up when heeled to starboard.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
I've spend a LOT of time with people that live full time on their boats. From what I've seen it helps if you drink a lot

Longest I've spent is six weeks. But I've spent hundreds and hundreds of weekends on them and many one and two week vacations.

I've always dreamed of living on one but these days I'm thinking a nice condo/town home on a canal with a 20ft center console would be nice.

Take the CC to dinner, drink your coffee while blasting on glass like water in the mornings, etc.etc...
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
Damn

As beautiful as that is my motto is "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on not the biggest one you can afford".
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
We found one, a 2002 model, cheap enough that we could do 2 boats for a bit. Two things kept us from buying it, no separate shower area and the lilliputian sized galley. If they would just shrink the starboard settee then they could add a foot to the head and enlarge the galley. Moving the sink more to the centerline would also be nice as they fill up when heeled to starboard.
A separate shower is a must in a live aboard. IMO. I don't like wiping my ass with wet toilet paper. Galley, I don't really care. I'm far to lazy to cook.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A separate shower is a must in a live aboard. IMO. I don't like wiping my ass with wet toilet paper. Galley, I don't really care. I'm far to lazy to cook.
Me too, but for some reason the wife says we gotta eat somehow. If I gained a little weight I could not even get into the galley on the Crealock 37:

Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

The galley on the Pacific Seacraft 40 (another Crealock design) is much better:

Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 266
Most of the useful stuff has allready been said here but here are few more tips:

1. sailing boat is a must if you are not a retired milionare, because you move around for free, depending on the season of your traveling, diesel is not cheap, and if you know how to sail, your fuel consumption will be at the minimum
  2. solar power + wind generator is also e fantastic and nonexpensive addon which is a must on trans-ocean crossings if you dont have a huge diesel tank on board to power your diesel generator. You can run you ravigation, lights and fridge non stop fith couple of solar panels and a wind generator
  3. watermaker that can be powered by hand also ( in case of a boat capsizing and/or your electrics going bananas in the middle of no where, it is nice to be able to produce your own water to make your iso drinks ;-)
  4. put a bicycle on board
  5. double heads ( toilet/shower) one on each side of a boat (portside, starboard ) so you can take a shit regardles of a tack you are on
  6. good freezer + fridge + fishing skills are a must on longer trips
  7. when you buy a boat make sure that you know how vital components work, inspect it properly with an expert and source out crutial parts so you have a lot of spares onboard,and that you know how to repair them ;-) If you get dissmasted in some shitstorm ( and you probably will and it will be at night, make sure that you have all the wirecutters and battery powered waterproof lights stored safely OUTSIDE on the boat so you can cut all the shit of your boat in minimall time
  8. and most important part is that you have smo company on the boat, you can get pretty lonely sailing on you own :-)
I am working as a skipper on sailing boats for quite some time now and I am also considering living on a sailboat. I found a nice Bavaria 49 and the boat really suits my needs, and I can charter it in Croatia durring the summer which will cover the boat servicing costs and will cover all of my living expences. The rest of the year I plan to travell around the world, on my own pace, exploring :-)

aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
[QUOTE=Ken;22488045]I've spend a LOT of time with people that live full time on their boats. From what I've seen it helps if you drink a lot

The only real exprience I've had was visiting and staying with my ex wifes Uncle when he would dock at Kerr lock and dam close to were I live on the Arkansas River. actually we are still very good friends. He is a self admitted river rat. Was a gunners mate on a PBR on the Saigon River in Nam and it never left his blood.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
The galley on the Pacific Seacraft 40 (another Crealock design) is much better:

It's amazing the difference a few feet can make. Island Packet makes a boat that rivals the Crealock designs in my mind. Very stable open water boat. They had one fully outfitted at the boat show in Seattle a couple of years ago. The asking price was low enough that it left me wondering what was wrong with it.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's amazing the difference a few feet can make. Island Packet makes a boat that rivals the Crealock designs in my mind. Very stable open water boat. They had one fully outfitted at the boat show in Seattle a couple of years ago. The asking price was low enough that it left me wondering what was wrong with it.
I would not sail an IP out of sight of land. They make great dockominiums though. Some of the issues I have with them:

1. Aluminum fuel tanks that require replacing after around 10 years ($$$$$$$).
2. No lead in the keel, they use cement and who knows what. Not a low center of gravity.
3. Funky seat behind the wheel, would rather have a rounded bench.
4. Don't point into the wind very well, close to being a motorsailer.
5. Some berths are at odd angles, should be parallel with the centerline.
6. Very difficult to dock, even with a bow thruster. The dealer needed 5 people and three tries to park a 485, the wind was under 10 knots with no current.
7. In-mast furling, although this is easily (but not cheaply) fixed.

For the same $$$ I would choose a Pacific Seacraft for actual blue water sailing. The build quality of IP's is excellent though, too bad they design the boats for 80 year old Florida retirees who are afraid to heel more than 5 degrees.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,754
I think if there are two of you, a boat 40-50 feet in length would be best. We don't liveaboard but we are aboard every weekend from the middle of March to last haul out as well as vacation. A custom mattress and a cockpit enclosure added this year make it nice.

It's 41'. We've also had a 38' and a 47'. If there ever is another, it will be 44-46' two cabin, single head.

I'm not sure we could do without a place on land. Current thought is to maybe rent a place in Quebec in the winter for skiing and snowmobiling and live on the boat for the rest of the year. We'll see. Still a few years off. Plenty of time to change my mind.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
I would not sail an IP out of sight of land. They make great dockominiums though. Some of the issues I have with them:

1. Aluminum fuel tanks that require replacing after around 10 years ($$$$$$$).
2. No lead in the keel, they use cement and who knows what. Not a low center of gravity.
3. Funky seat behind the wheel, would rather have a rounded bench.
4. Don't point into the wind very well, close to being a motorsailer.
5. Some berths are at odd angles, should be parallel with the centerline.
6. Very difficult to dock, even with a bow thruster. The dealer needed 5 people and three tries to park a 485, the wind was under 10 knots with no current.
7. In-mast furling, although this is easily (but not cheaply) fixed.

For the same $$$ I would choose a Pacific Seacraft for actual blue water sailing. The build quality of IP's is excellent though, too bad they design the boats for 80 year old Florida retirees who are afraid to heel more than 5 degrees.
Not good. Yes I do like the Pacific Seacraft execution of the Crealock designs. Still my top dream boat. Must admit that I have never owned a sailboat. I've started off looking at them almost every time I've bought a new boat but I always end up with a power boat. Almost pulled the trigger on a Swan 41 six years ago when I bought the current boat but it needed too much work. They ended up dropping the price some 30% and someone bought it. Had they done that when I was looking at it and point out the problems to them, I would have bought it.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #29
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,184
Hell .... If I was going to full-time on a boat it would be on one of these. Far more room than a sailing boat.

Too bad they don't have too many of them over this side of the pond.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #30
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,179
I lived aboard a tug for just under half a year. +1 on the upkeep--renting doesn't really give you a sense for how that'll hit your pocketbook...and/or time if you are attempting to do a bunch of the work yourself. It was definitely one of the coolest times of my life, though. Would not trade the experience for anything.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: