Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarterbore OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Grow into a Harley Heritage Softail - DR650 to ???

I am looking for an opinion on my next steps... I grew up with a Yamaha 125 dirt bike and now 25+ years later I am getting back into bikes. My first road bike is a 97 DR650 and I am using it to learn but I want a Harley even though I now have doubts I will ever sell my DR650 as it is just so much fun.

My question is, is moving from the DR650 directly to a USED Harley Heritage Softtail Classic too big of a move? I am a 43 and pretty big guy at 6'3" and 250 or so and I like to think I am reasonably fit. My two options I am considering is something like a Kawasaki Vulcan (or similar) in the 1100 size or a 1200 Harley Sportster as intermediate bikes. On the other hand I have seen a couple nice looking Heritage Softtails for about $8000 on up which makes it tempting to buy a 90s era Heritage. I can pick up a similarly aged Sportster for about $5000 on up to put it in perspective.

I am not in a huge rush but I need to decide what I should be looking for so I can start studying the years and prices so I can recognize a good value when I find one.

As an example, this bike is local and it has me twitching from an urge to write out the check...

http://www.chopperexchange.com/ForSa...Classic/382326

Quarterbore screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 12:37 PM Reason: Typo
Quarterbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
I would go straight to the Harley, since that is what you want. Cruiser-type bikes don't have much power anyway, it is the weight and handling that will take getting used to.

You should be able to get a pretty late model Sportster for $5k. I doubt a 6'3" guy would be comfortable on the Sportster though.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
You'll be fine on the Harley. I bought my Heritage after about 8 years of not riding after an accident. I had only ridden 600cc bikes until then. I'm 6 foot 180 lbs. In fact, I let my buddy learn to ride on my Heritage and he had no problems. Just take your time and get used to the weight.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
You shouldn't have any problems handling it, as long as you do what other say: take it easy, get used to it...

My pal has this same era bike. It's fun to ride, but it doesn't handle well. It's nowhere near as competent as the newest touring frame.

I'm not a Harley expert at all, but I'd rather go for a Sportster, and modify it a bit to fit. Cheaper, handles better.

However, my pal has ridden his bike all around the country, he loves it...it's been completely trouble-free, so what's not to like about that?

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
I would skip the sportster and go right for the softail. I don't think riding a sportster first will help at all and as someone else pointed out, at 6'3" it's unlikely you'll be comfortable on one.

2007 Harley Fatboy
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
rokinrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I love my new Softail SLim. I've been on an Electra glide for 14 years. It's been sitting a lot since the new slim showed up. To me it's the essence of motorcycling, stripped down, low, enough power to make me smile. This is the first SofTail I have ever owned and I'm hooked!
rokinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
Iv'e had many bikes including a Kawi Vulcan Nomad 1500. The newer Harley's handle much better and feel like they are several hundred pounds lighter then they are. The metric cruisers are not in the same league. Neither was the EVO Softail I had. I really enjoy my current and previous Harley's, both new frame touring models with 103's.

An older Softail may not be the easiest Harley to ride. Softail's have limited suspension and bottom out easily. You might want to consider a 2009 or later Road King or Electra Glide for the new frame and larger engines. A Road King Classic looks similar to the Softail Heritage Classic. It has no fairing and leather like bags.

I don't know your financial situation but the soon to be released Indian Vintage has the look of the Heritage Classic and then some. I am drooling over it in black with tan seats and bags.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
at 6'3 and coming off a DR650 you are going to feel like the Heritage Special was designed for a midget.
grelcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,965
If you are good at very slow parking lot speeds, doing lock to lock figure eights, for example, you'll be more than fine moving straight to the Harley, IMO. They are easy bikes to ride, once you are moving.

Even at low speeds, because of the low seat height and center of gravity, they are easy too. It's just the weight that will be an adjustment.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
$8K for a 90's Softail? I'd suggest you keep looking.

Have your ridden one yet? If not, try it. And take the likes of a Road King out as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you find you like the Road King better.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Quarterbore OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I will do some test rides or attend an open house when I can and before I buy. I do love the looks of the new Indians too but that is outside my budget at this time. This next bike needs to be under 10k so I am looking at used bikes and used is fine by me.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will keep the DR under me until I have it figured out but I will start studying the Harley's more. I also had a guy suggest that The Vulcan 93c (I think that is the model) is worth looking at too. I just need to sit on some bikes now.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Certainly pays to do your research and look around, but it's also easy to get lost in the sea of good bikes out there. Just make sure when you buy one it's not only because it checked some boxes, but because it's the one that puts a smile on your face when you ride and makes you take a second look at before turning the lights out in the garage.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 409
An ex-GF of mine went from a 350lb LS650 Savage to a 700lb Heritage Softail with no issues whatsoever ... and she's only 5'-2", approx. 115lbs herself ... you should have no problem ...
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #14
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,465
it should be like going from fun to humdrum.
stay off the front brake when taxiing
you will miss the DR
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
Gyprat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm about your size and have a hard time finding anything that fits. Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad was the only bike that somewhat fit me and I bought a new one back in 2006. The seat was raised about 3" and I added a backrest to be able to ride it for more than an hour. I tried sitting on many other bikes back then, including Harleys but they all were to small. Harleys are a maintenance nightmare too.
Two years ago I stopped by a motorcycle dealership to get an oil filter for my Nomad. They had a used KLR-650 on a show floor. I sat on it and fell in love. It was the most comfortable bike I ever sat on. Bought a new one last year and absolutely love riding it. My cruiser is sitting lonely in the garage as it only gets used when my wife wants to go for a ride. KLR is just too small for both of us.

P.S. Check out some used Yamaha Royal Star or a Voyager. They have decent leg room and lot's of power when compared to other cruisers. My friend owned a Royal Star once. He put over 120,000 miles on it with zero maintenance issues. He sold it on favor of a new Harley and now he knows all the dealership mechanics by name as his bike spends a lot of time in there. The engine was already replaced once while it was on warranty.

2012 KLR650.
2006 VULCAN NOMAD 1600D.

Gyprat screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 05:17 AM
Gyprat is offline   Reply With Quote