Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
scatland OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Glasgow to Greece to Spain - Supermoto Style!

So I've been planning this trip for some time now, my first big trip on a motorcycle and my first RR. I'm hoping im not gonna get lazy and stop updating this but I will try my best to get my arse in gear

So the plan is - Set off from my hometown of Glasgow in the (probable) pissing rain and blast down to Dover for the Monday ferry to Calais. The only plan after that is a couple days stop in Dusseldorf to see some relatives and my Dad, celebrate my 21st birthday with an obscene amount of beer and set my destination for Greece, either through the eastern european balkan side or down through the alps to Italy and get the Ferry. I also have some big plans for a route around Sicily to try and ride up mount Etna. after that I am doubling back and riding along the coast all the way to Spain to do a complete circuit including Portugal.

My bike - What started out a few months ago as a completely stock DRZ400s with 3000 miles on it has now become a budget farkled out supermoto .

Mods on bike-
3x3 Mod + Jetted with JD Kit
Stock pipe so far (You lucky Americans with your cheap MRD SSW, its about $350 more to get it shipped to the UK after customs has their way with you)
Very large aftermarket bashplate forget the brand
CNC case savers
Trailtech Vapor Speedo with.. super custom pickup guard!!!!!!! (Welded piece of metal screwed down with the axle pinch bolts)
Hefty pair of no name handguards, the ones that are metal inside and bolt to the bars

Stock S tank which has a quite a concerningly low fuel range, ive made it from Edinburgh to Aviemore before on it and it was close to death at something like 125 miles, hopefully the fuel bottle will give me an extra 30 in reserve but we shall see about that.

The wheels I picked up for this bike are off a Husqvarna SMR610 of all things, they were not fun to fit I must say... they have a cush drive that may increase chain life but not sure if it makes a huge difference, tyres are maxxis supermax touring that came with the wheels. havent been able to test them in anger yet but they seem to give good grip in the damp and wet roads i have tested them on

Scotland Sticker - good for an extra 5bhp and hopefully friendly natives when they learn I'm not English.

scatland screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 08:43 PM
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
scatland OP
Adventurer

My Route - Created by a master cartographer.. you may notice that I'm staying as far south as possible due to the fact I dont want my balls to freeze off in the inevitable freezing November and December weather

Luggage is a single 60 liter dry bag with some assorted non essential items such as - a pair of shoes, clean clothes, I cant remember what is in that bag now its been packed for a week!! + I have a tent sleeping bag and roll mat. upfront is a tank-bag with a road-map (no jessy GPS for me) a 1.5 liter primus fuel bottle for emergencies and spare tubes tools etc...

Hopefully that big wall of text made sense, I will post some pics of the bike tomorrow and then if all goes well will start posting pictures of the beautifully sodden Scottish and English countryside the next time I get an internet connection
Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Well, Mr Scatland, I wish you the best of luck with the ride and the weather....October through Scotland & England...you could be lucky. Just enjoy everything and remember, most of the readers will not be going anywhere and some have never been anywhere !!
You are starting young so I hope it continues !!
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
scatland OP
Adventurer

Unfortunately theres a wee bit of a delay.. I'm now flying to Germany next week rather than riding there so will start my adventure once I get back the following week. Hoping to get a good ride in before then so will post some pics of that and of course the bike
Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
scatland OP
Adventurer

Budget Supermoto -

scatland screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 04:26 PM
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
scatland OP
Adventurer

Went on a couple hour blast around the loch lomond area and got a couple pics, still waiting to leave for Spain and its getting MUCH colder. I could be riding through ice and snow at this rate

Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
scatland OP
Adventurer

Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb

Hi there, scotsman. I lived for a while in Ayr, took my FZ6 there and went all round Scotland up to lovely places such as Cape Wrath, Nestie's point in Skye, the unforgettable Glencoe road. A few islands too, Scapa Flow and the windy Orkney and the deserted roads up to the Butt of Lewis. Arran was in the nearby, took me a while to climb to Goat Fell.
Great landscapes, motorcycle roads and more important, great people too.
So if you pop round NW Spain I can show you around a few worth visiting places.
Keep up with the report, see you!
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
scatland OP
Adventurer

Cheers Tonic, Arran is always a cool place to ride to. Here's a pic from across the water when I took a ride on a nice day a while back, I'm sure you will recognize this view!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
scatland OP
Adventurer

still waiting to leave...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
scatland OP
Adventurer

I don't know if I can leave this thread hanging here, my schedule has now changed to leaving at the end of November on another bike. Decided I didnt want to risk the DRZ getting stolen/messed up, so have bought a budget ADV bike (1991 Kawasaki KLE500) got the whole deal completely serviced with new tyres, oil, sparkplugs and adjusted valves for 600!

So... hopefully in a month I will be posting the first icy pictures of my trip
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #12
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

No matter which bike you take, if you finally make it to NW Spain give a shout.
The KLE has a nice torquey engine, and 600 quid don't sound as a rip off.
Keep warm and enjoy.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #13
scatland OP
Adventurer

So it turns out buying a bike for 600 is not always the best option... 300 miles into the journey the exhaust header has ripped a massive hole in itself and is spitting flames like a drag racing car! currently just outside Birmingham with the bike sitting at a dealership while they try re-welding a heavily rusted exhaust . Catching the ferry to santander tommorow so if the exhaust bolts are siezed I'm going to have to go with jb weld and a piece of metal to patch it..

Really should start taking some pictures now to make this report worthwhile
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

You've probably tried these, Maybe on ebay or at a Birm'gham moto brakeyard you can find a cheap rust-free one.
Once you get to Santander are you going east or westwards?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
scatland OP
Adventurer

http://imgur.com/GqRu6Tc

The only two pictures I have of the entire trip so far, the beast lives! Managed to get the exhaust welded with new header gaskets and lights all round, off to Spain this evening and then to madrid