User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
beware of broken belts

I just had a belt break on my Vino 125. The belt only had 4,000 miles on it, and was completely destroyed, all chewed up and kinked, with teeth broken off of it. Yamaha says these belts are supposed to last 12,000 miles, and the last 2 did last 10,000 miles, and still looked good. The rollers also only had 4,000 miles on them, and looked like new. In fact, there was NOTHING else wrong. Everything was oem Yamaha. There is nothing to indicate what happened to the belt. And on a Vino 125 this is not a side of the road job, the oil has to be drained and you need a new gasket. I had to wait several hours for someone to come and pick me up 35 miles from home.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Emanuel_v19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
but you had control over the scooter after it broke?
Emanuel_v19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
How fast were you going at the time? Did you check the belt for proper alignment when you replaced it for the old one? Belt failures are not entirely uncommon; Yamaha changed the composition of the belt for the 125's about two years ago, but there are probably quite a few of the old belts in stock. Did your new belt have black sides or silver/grey sides?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Everything was installed properly, I had done it 3 times on that scooter. I was all Yamaha parts. Nothing was missing or in the wrong place. It did not lock the wheel. It just started to rev like you had pulled in the clutch on a manual shift bike. The engine ran fine, but it wouldn't move. I figured it had to be the belt or the clutch. I had even tightened the variator nut to the proper torque. I was surprised when I took it apart, and saw what was left of the belt. It was running just fine right up to the time it broke. I was riding full throttle at just over 50 mph indicated. I've always ridden it like that.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Could be just a faulty belt?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,783
Good thing it wasn't one of those fancy new e-belts that are electronic!

Kidding Jerry.

I would check the variatorand pulley surfaces for anything that could cause excess friction.

Did the pulley come into contact with the sharp side of a case half causing a cut? This happening if the rear pulley is not removed to change a belt and requiring force to get it past the casr.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Cooling

Make certain there is no blockage on any and all housing air inlets and outlets designed to cool the belt. Heat is definitely the enemy of the CVT belt system.

Youre lucky the rear wheel didnt lock up.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
That's too bad, Jerry. Fortunately you didn't get hurt. As heat is an enemy of belts, you might want to check the vents. Also, it's crazy hot in Chandler about six months a year. That could be a contributing factor. On the other hand you said you had some belts go 10K miles and I assume you were living in Chandler then, too. Which leaves me scratching my bald head.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

It is a puzzle to me. I have never had the rear pulley/clutch assembly off, but they work fine, and the pulley is completely smooth. The only thing I did notice is there was a build up of rubber around the very outer edges of the front pulley, slightly less than 1/8" wide. Not a whole lot but noticeable. All the openings in the cover were clear, and I cleaned and reoiled the CVT filter on a regular basis. I think it was on it's fifth filter. The filter was fairly clean.

New belt is here, and I will be putting it back together in the next couple of days. Don't know how far I will trust it now though.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have never had the rear pulley/clutch assembly off
Reference resources:
Belts breaking all the time!
How-To: Grease/Service the Torque Driver (Rear Pulley)
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have never had the rear pulley/clutch assembly off
Jerry, the factory service manual specifies that the entire transmission (excepting the final drive gears) be cleaned, inspected, and lubricated every time that the belt is changed. Since you haven't done that, and are on your third belt, you have found the cause of your belt failure.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

What is it about the rear pulley that could destroy a belt? The pulley faces were completely smooth with no noticeable wear, and the clutch still worked fine. Most of my miles were highway miles. What should be replaced on the rear?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Coincidence of a "bad" belt is (we hope) the likely thing.

Though not in this case, a contribution from worn pulleys is usually on the cards.
I look forward to the day that manufacturers get around to using steel-faced pulleys.

Blugg raises the important point of heat-vulnerability of belts; and it needn't be just poor ventilation or bad pulley bearings.
Sheer environmental heat [summers, or tropics] is also bad news for belts.
It is a major weakness in standard scooter design.

~ Not so easy a matter to fix, I think.
Quite a re-design would be needed to make for quick-n-easy road-side replacements of belts [and with minimal tools].
Meanwhile we'll just have to wait for technological advances in belts.

Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
The problem could be solved completely if scooter manufacturers would return to transmissions. No pulleys, no belts, no sliders. A clutch? Sure, but it's cable operated and you only operate it when you shift. I don't know enough about scooter history so I'll ask this innocent question: When did twist 'n go come into fashion? And why did manual transmissions disappear?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
The problem could be solved completely if scooter manufacturers would return to transmissions. No pulleys, no belts, no sliders. A clutch? Sure, but it's cable operated and you only operate it when you shift. I don't know enough about scooter history so I'll ask this innocent question: When did twist 'n go come into fashion? And why did manual transmissions disappear?
Vespas have been around since just after WWII, but manual transmissions have been used on two wheel transportation since the turn of the century. Some of the early two wheel designs sort of split the difference between a scooter/moped/motorcycles so I won't claim scooters didn't exist before Vespa, but lots of folks would consider then the first modern scooter (step through frame, metal body, covered engine, etc.

As far as why they got rid of manual transmissions- simple- they cost money to build, have more moving parts and require skill and extra work to ride. Remember, unlike a motorcycle manual scooters have a two cable operated shift setup that use a push/pull design. Many manual scooter problems are clutch, Shift cross, cable and/or shift assembly related. Fun, but a royal pain over time to maintain.

Twist and go scooters opened up a whole world of practical, inexpensive and fun transportation for folks all over the world.

Trade your CV drive for a transmission and all you do is lose your belt and gain a whole new set of problems. If you want to tinker with cables and a clutch get an old Vespa. If you want reliable transportation stay with your HD200- you have a great scooter. I'm betting even JerryH will acknowledge that the belt drives are usually a reliable, and well thought out design. FYI, I have a manual Vespa and SO want and HD200......

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote