Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Actually, you can buy mine if you want to. We both live in AZ so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Just changed the fluids and installed new Shinko tires. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

blugg1 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 01:43 PM
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I still have the Zuma 125, which is basically the same scooter with a different look.
...and a better engine IMHO.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Are you sure the belt was even changed the first 2 times?
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Are you sure the belt was even changed the first 2 times?
Yep. I'm the one who changed them. Right around 10,000 miles. Did not see anything out of the ordinary when I replaced them. Both were oem Yamaha, just like the one that shredded.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #35
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Yep. I'm the one who changed them. Right around 10,000 miles. Did not see anything out of the ordinary when I replaced them. Both were oem Yamaha, just like the one that shredded.
Ah, good... You did the work so you would know for sure! Have seen few threads on the net about timing belts that were paid for but never changed and motors wiped out shortly after.

It's a bummer to have yours go out so soon.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Ah, good... You did the work so you would know for sure! Have seen few threads on the net about timing belts that were paid for but never changed and motors wiped out shortly after.

It's a bummer to have yours go out so soon.
The problem is I never found out WHY it broke so soon, and am afraid the new belt could break at any time, leaving me stranded again. Plus I have a fairly new Zuma 125 with the same belt and drive system, and it has around 4,000 miles on it. Don't know how much I trust it either. I was planning on putting some miles on it this winter, including a couple of 1000+ mile trips. Now I'm not so sure.
1980 Puch moped
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #37
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe you should sell both the Vino and Zuma and get a scooter with a larger engine, say 200-250cc's. Especially if you're planning 1000 mile trips. You'll have a much better time on a Kymco or a SYM or whatever on longer trips.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
I was planning on putting some miles on it this winter, including a couple of 1000+ mile trips. Now I'm not so sure.
I'd just bring along a spare belt and the required tools to change one out on the side of the road, if needed - and not worry about it. If one were to compare the time spent over a 1000+ mi trip doing chain maintenance vs. changing a belt... probably pretty close. The price of adventure!
Moat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
The problem is I never found out WHY it broke so soon, and am afraid the new belt could break at any time, leaving me stranded again. Plus I have a fairly new Zuma 125 with the same belt and drive system, and it has around 4,000 miles on it. Don't know how much I trust it either. I was planning on putting some miles on it this winter, including a couple of 1000+ mile trips. Now I'm not so sure.
An anomaly I'm sure.

Nothing to get your panties bunched-up over. Don't let it ruin your fun. Coulda been a new tire blowing out...that happens too.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #40
Dan V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Just something that is gonna happen. When we went on out trip to dragon land each scoot had a spare belt even though we could not change it out on the roadside. Wanted to have one aboard so as not to blow the trip waiting on a local mechanic to source a belt if one was needed.

Over the past years, accumulating thousands of collective miles, our club rides have never had a belt failure from normal circumstances. This is with scoots of all different sizes, and with varying states of maintenance and equipment age.

The only belt mishap was from a guy who kept mis-installing his variator, where by the nut was tightened on the shoulder of the crank and not on the variator face itself. This would cause the variator to work loose while riding, eventually ruining the variator, belt, and the crank itself.

That video above with the FU variator had to be caused by a bad install. Obviously something came loose, and friction heated things up to melt the sliders. I can't even imagine how it would run, but someone obviously ran it quite a while like that. I can hear it now "It was making a funny noise while I was riding it"!

Jerry, you got a bad break, or bad belt. Maybe AZ heat has something to do with it. Still no reason to dump the Vino.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #41
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,256
Jerry, when your belt broke, were you going down hill traveling faster than your normal top speed?

I say this because on my Aprilia, I can go down a large hill and hit almost 70mph indicated with the Malossi variator due to its ramp design. In pushing the belt out that far it wears on the engine case and that was the last time I went for a top speed run.

If you have pushed the envelope with your bike you could have damaged it prior to its failure.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Jerry, when your belt broke, were you going down hill traveling faster than your normal top speed?

I say this because on my Aprilia, I can go down a large hill and hit almost 70mph indicated with the Malossi variator due to its ramp design. In pushing the belt out that far it wears on the engine case and that was the last time I went for a top speed run.

If you have pushed the envelope with your bike you could have damaged it prior to its failure.
I still don't know what happened, but I'm not going to complain about it anymore. There is very little doubt I was abusing the scooter by overloading it and riding it at WOT 95% of the time. It's a stock setup, but yes I did let it run too fast downhill at full throttle several times. I also had the habit of going from WOT to fully closed throttle, and it looks like that might cause the belt to bunch up on the front pulley. I didn't realize until after this happened just how loose the belt was on the pulleys. A chain running anywhere near that loose would either come off the sprocket of jerk around and break.

I plan on selling this scooter fairly soon, and getting something bigger, that won't have to be run at full throttle constantly. I am still at a loss to explain why the first 2 belts lasted so long, being treated the same way, but I've seen stranger things.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #43
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

SYM HD 200, Jerry.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #44
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,756
Just finding this thread, Jerry. Now understanding your belt concerns a little better. So glad you weren't hurt by your mishap.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #45
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Just finding this thread, Jerry. Now understanding your belt concerns a little better. So glad you weren't hurt by your mishap.
I never did find a clue why the belt broke. The first 2 belts lasted 10,000 miles, and still looked good when I replaced them. They showed some wear on the edges, but were within the service limit. There was no wear or damage on either pulley, though there was a ring of rubber from the belt stuck to the front pulley. This was most likely caused by me riding it at full throttle most of the time, when the front pulley would have been all the way closed. But there was no groove worn in the pulley. I remember cleaning off the same rubber the first 2 times I had replaced the belts.

I had also replaced the rollers with stock oem replacements 4000 miles earlier, when I did the belt. Rollers are covered in plastic, and they were in perfect condition, no sign of heat damage. There was also no sign of any oil or grease on anything.

The first 2 times I replaced the belt, I did not remove or disassemble the rear pulley/clutch assembly. But after the belt broke, I decided to remove it and inspect everything. I cleaned and inspected every part, and found nothing wrong. I put new grease on the inner bearings, the pins and slots, reassembled it and reinstalled it.

It now has over 1000 miles on it since I got it all back together, and has ran perfectly, just as it always has. Top speed is still the same, though I no longer ride it much at full throttle other than on takeoff.

A CVT is a very simple thing. They are easy to understand and easy to work on. The big issue I see with older ones is that they contain a lot of O-rings, rubber seals, pins, and bearings on the rear pulley/clutch assembly, which probably should be replaced, but may not be available anymore. While all CVTs are pretty much the same design and appearance wise, those parts are not interchangeable. They vary slightly from one unit to another. I hope you can find all the parts you need for yours.
1980 Puch moped