Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #91
38thfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post

Regarding the future shape of Dakar cars is the truck at 1.54 not some form of BMW? It has BMW shaped grills and German motorsport on it?

Maybe they've already got a trophy truck of their own.

38thfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #92
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38thfoot View Post
Regarding the future shape of Dakar cars is the truck at 1.54 not some form of BMW? It has BMW shaped grills and German motorsport on it?

That is the All German Motorsports (AGM) Armin Schwartz "BMW" Trophy Truck. Yes, they do represent it to be a BMW, however the only thing BMW about the car is the grill. It uses a Chevy LS based motor and a Xtracs tranny. I don't think it has finished a race yet.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #93
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:

http://allgermanmotorsports.com/
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #94
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,429
Quote:

That's the US based All German Motorsports (AGM)/Jimco X6 BMW Trophy Truck that runs the SCORE US/Baja off road series races like Baja 500/1000 etc.

It is just a fibreglass hood/grill and side panels dzuess clipped over a state of the art trophy truck tube chassis. I believe it runs (or did originally) a BMW V8 engine with typical US trophy truck style transmission, long travel A-Arm front and banjo four link rear suspension with by-pass coil over shocks.

The project has nothing to do with the BMW parent company (or X-Raid) much more that the vehicles body panels are styled after the X6 SUV and that lead driver (and man behind the team) Armin Schwarz is from Germany and a formet factory TOYOTA TTE rally and WRC driver.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #95
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
sorry if 205 but Im not sure if I saw this one ..

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #96
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Looks like AGM bailed on the Xtracs and are using a Fortin linked through a torque converter. This is a sequential manual 4 speed with a torque converter instead of a clutch. This style setup is common in Class 1 cars. The biggest drawback is that with the torque converter you have to be in gear when you fire the motor up and in order to shift in and out of reverse you can't have the motor running. Doing so, causes instant reverse gear destruction! But like us co-drivers say: "if the driver has to go into reverse, he's already made a major mistake!" Jajajajaja!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #97
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Yup. Watch this space for the coverage.

The eurosport feeds don't work any more, hopefully somebody will come up with the new ones. France4 still works, their coverage was really good last year.
Just checked, and it turns out that the coding for France4 doesn't work any more. Checked during Merzouga, but now, phucke.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #98
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
The best damn thing to happen to Dakar would be for RG to win it this year.

It is setting the fox amongst the chickens in getting the competition cranked up instead of it always being the the mini's and the 'others who showed up, plus GdV'.

I'd like to see GdV win against this bunch, but if Robby was to nail the mini's to the wall, that'd really piss off that hornet's nest. That'd be better for the sport.

I think that financially, it'd draw more sponsors, especially from the NA market.

Again, better for the sport.

I still would rather GdV win it, fucker has worked hard for it.
I am as excited to see the new generation of T1 2WD's take it to the established 4WD T1 platforms of the x-raid MINI's and the overdrive TOYOTA Hilux's... but if - what you mean by - "better for the sport" is an influx of silhouette fibreglass and carbon fibre panels flopped over tube framed buggies... then yeah - you are spot on. It could well make the category more affordable and more competitive (more teams financially able and prepared to build cars/run team effort)... BUT the vehicles will have (even less than they do today) with the production version vehicles in the marketplace.

That leaves (of course) the production T2 category for the manufacturers to showcase their production vehicles in competition, but as history shows, there is not the same amount of manufacturer intertest to compete for 30th place in the General classification*... OUTRIGHT is where the publicity dollar is.

So, while I understand the enthusiasm, the latest evolution seems to indicate that T1 could soon be "NASCAR" of the desert.

*Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes, ISUZU and a number of other factories have in the past fronted with considerably large efforts to compete for the Production class (T2) title at Dakar... but in maost cases it just doesn't garner the same headlines as the scratch win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
as strange as it may seem I cannot quote TSC... some kind of mod magic perhaps?

The thing with this guy (RG) is that there are always a whole bunch of "ifs" with him.
if he has his ifs sorted there will be no ifs but only if his ifs are better then the ifs of others if and only if
No mod magic that I am aware of (but I dunno what half the buttons do anyway? )

Quote:
and he seems like a real nice guy too

Giniel is my moral favourite (and Darkhorse favourite tip) this year to take the #1 bedouin head home. It would be fitting reward for his own and TOYOTA's input these last three seasons if they were to take the title... before the next technical evolution sweeps into effect. I get the feeling that the TOYOTA and MINI may well become dinosaurs by january 2015...
Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #99
Strong Bad
n00balicious

JLS was winning ASO's Dakar years ago in an American built buggy he called a "Schlesser".

Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #100
Aquatic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
The Gentleman of Dakar

Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #101
Aquatic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
and he seems like a real nice guy too
That he is!

Sometimes possibly too nice. Maybe a little more aggression and he would have had win or 2 more
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #102
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,850
Do not forget BJ and Quinn as navigator will be down there too. Anyone know what class they will be in?
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #103
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,556
Still looks like an Evoque on steroids, but don't think he had any input from Victoria Beckham

As has been pointed out, I wonder if Renault will intervene, or maybe he has already paid a royalty
Attached Images

too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #104
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 247
Giniel is a super nice focused bloke. He trains hard and is a great ambassador for our sport and any motorsport. Oh and the fact that He drives for Imperial who our company is a part of is also cool .
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #105
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Still looks like an Evoque on steroids, but don't think he had any input from Victoria Beckham
Note the conveniently placed ad banner on the bottom of the photo... keeping the rear suspension configuration a secret until the very last...