User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,128
Killing Fields and Comedy Capers

A few guys with a lazy Sunday morning coming up decided to get together for a ride out through the Barossa Valley here in South Australia and make our way to our favourite bakery at Truro. Hmmmmm strong coffee, cornish pastie and a choc donut.....I'm in!

PBee (Tiger 800XC) and Sol (KTM 690R) turn up at my place at 0830 (ish) but Pete looks like crap. He's got a severe dose of man flu and isn't travelling too well. He made the trip over the hills hoping that he'd get better but not to be, so be bails out and goes home to crawl back into bed.

Poor Pete

Get to Bernie's place and there's ItsGotToBeYellow on his V-Strom, and Grant arrives on his XR650. Haven't seen Grant for a couple of years so good to catch up. Bernie's got the DR on the move after I gave it a service for him a couple of months ago.....

I'm on the Tiger 800XC, so we head off through the gravel and dirt roads in the famous Barossa Valley. It's a great day, a little chilly, but nothing that requires any more clothing....it will be all good in an hour or so.

First thing that happens is a rabbit tries to pace me on the left side, problem for him was when he tried to cross over in front of me the Tiger's front wheel hit him midships and he died on the spot.

I show the boys some single track I found a couple of years ago, and then a trip down Molly's Track, which has been totally devastated by 4WD's using it when wet. So much so that I got the Tiger caught between two ruts and couldn't get it out - no going forwards or backwards. Bernie gave me a hand to move it but not before he took the dreaded photo of me being stuck.

Sol emerging from the undergrowth...

Grant too

Sol in a hurry..

Grant too

The Tiger's not going anywhere ....215 kg of dead weight.

Bernie on song...

IGTBY with the big girl on the single track,

Some more knarly stuff along the way and then into the Sunrise Bakery for some man food. Talk crap for about 3/4 of an hour watching boats etc passing by making their way to the River Murray for some late involvement with the Long Weekend.

Out of Truro and into some more tricky trails, when Sol continues the carnage on wildlife and gives a 4' brown snake a lesson in trail manners, and then I start to try and find my way back to Trial Hill. Pick up some tracks etc and then Sol sees a track he knows well and we're off. This is a fast and windy trail that makes it's way uphill eventually landing up at Trial Hill sort of east of Lyndoch. Sol says goodbye and heads homewards and it's good to see him out and back on the bike after his mangle with the kangaroo in the Flinders Ranges in April. He hasn't slowed down any!!

ItsGotToBeYellow has had a go on the Tiger and doesn't seem too impressed but takes his V-Strom back off me so he can ride it through the creek that's coming up.

Back into Gawler and IGTBY swings into his 'blind' driveway only to find that someone has closed the gate for the first time in 20 yrs!!!! He rides straight into the gate and bounces backwards before dropping the heavy machine on the ground... I skidded to a halt and stalled the Tiger on purpose in a hurry to get the camera out whilst it laid on the ground. He spied my haste and dead-lfted the bike up to a verticle position just in time. Honestly Kipo, it was the same scenario as with you...just not quick enough....bugga!!

Anyway, all home safe, a lazy four hours of fun and killing animals and getting into some laughable situations......all good.

Thanks guys.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 08:46 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
ItsGotToBeYellow
IGTBY

Oddometer: 15
Laugh

Nice report Trev.

It's amazing how you appear from nowhere, camera in hand, whenever someone has a problem.

I asked Michelle why the gates were shut and she said she wanted to keep the cat in the yard. I explained that cats can jump 3 ft fences. She said the cats not too bright.

Perhaps the cats not the only one.

IGTBY
ItsGotToBeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGotToBeYellow View Post
Nice report Trev.

It's amazing how you appear from nowhere, camera in hand, whenever someone has a problem.

I asked Michelle why the gates were shut and she said she wanted to keep the cat in the yard. I explained that cats can jump 3 ft fences. She said the cats not too bright.

Perhaps the cats not the only one.

IGTBY
Have always been opportunistic Kym, but getting old and slow is letting some of you guys off the hook.

Dumb cat eh?

Have you ever thought about looking to see if the gate's open before driving through it??

"Just having a crack"
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I like you guys. Always quick to capitalise on the misfortune of your mates. I like it a lot 😉

Great ride report. Sounds like there is some damn good riding down that way! All the best lads!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
I like you guys. Always quick to capitalise on the misfortune of your mates. I like it a lot 😉

Great ride report. Sounds like there is some damn good riding down that way! All the best lads!
Ha ha. Mate of mine said that he was gunna write a book and call it 'C*nts I have known'. Then he tells me that the first four chapters were all gunna be about me.......

Cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Valleyam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Dont let them give you such a hard time Trev. You know the saying. If there aren't any pictures it didn't happen
Sounds like a nice day out. While you were out crashing and bashing yourselves around I had to tough it out at Jacobs creek restaurant eating and drinking . Wife's Birthday
Valleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
GNP59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
SA ADV Rider

Had a very pleasant Sunday morning thanks to Trev and co.
GNP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
Dont let them give you such a hard time Trev. You know the saying. If there aren't any pictures it didn't happen
Sounds like a nice day out. While you were out crashing and bashing yourselves around I had to tough it out at Jacobs creek restaurant eating and drinking . Wife's Birthday
Did she go with you? Don't forget to come and grab the Tiger one day....just give me some notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP59 View Post
Had a very pleasant Sunday morning thanks to Trev and co.
You're very welcome Grant - anytime. Thanks for coming along.

"Just having a crack"
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 450
Good to see you guys out 'n about....especially Sol!
By the way....that pic of Sol through the trees' a cracker!
As for Trev and his trusty snapper, I can't help but drag out this chestnut every now & then....pretty much says it all really....

This is the sight we all dread before being frozen in time with our motorcycling faux pas!
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

I remember that ride too Con, both intent on capturing a good shot, only to swing around and find ourselves photographing each other. We don't do enough Sunday morning rides anymore. Shame really, I do enjoy them and if we manage the clock properly we can be back in time to accommodate the rest of the family too. Cheers pal.

"Just having a crack"
Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,312
Thanks for organising yesterday Trev, was a great day out & was good to catch up with everyone again as its been a while. I really enjoyed the ride, especially the trails after Truro. On the home stretch I had a very close encounter with a big Roo on Airstrip Road right in front of my folks farm, (luckily not as close at the Roo in the Flinders). Anyway, look forward to another ride soon. Cheers Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
Aussie Trev OP
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Erzenberg View Post
Thanks for organising yesterday Trev, was a great day out & was good to catch up with everyone again as its been a while. I really enjoyed the ride, especially the trails after Truro. On the home stretch I had a very close encounter with a big Roo on Airstrip Road right in front of my folks farm, (luckily not as close at the Roo in the Flinders). Anyway, look forward to another ride soon. Cheers Sol..
You're more than welcome Sol, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for picking the trail home and getting me out of my compass directed trails (???).

Stay away from roos pal, you don't mix with them too well.

Cheers

"Just having a crack"