User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
BigIron805 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Honda Nighthawk 250

Can a 250 nighthawk be made more dirt friendly? I,m talking about dirt roads and groomed trails.
Are there tires available? Would it put too much strain on the drivetrain?

I realize that it has dual drums but I don't think stopping power would be a problem for my use.
BigIron805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
ofcourese you can I've seen a original CB400F converted to dirt a front end swap would be advised for better dirt handling and height also you can get a disc on the front then

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
Every Nighthawk 250 I have ever seen has a disk on the front anyhow.

But a suspension upgrade would be a good idea.

Tires are a bit of a pain as the Nighthawk runs 19/16.

A lot of the ones I see over here run deestone ds tires.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
BigIron805 OP
Adventurer

The USA spec bike runs drums front and rear.
The tires are 90/100-18 front and 120/90-16 rear.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 211
BigIron, I hate to discourage anyone from building the bike they want to build but I have to ask why on this one!! Everything about a nighthawk 250 is NOT suited for off-road use...
It seems like you might be better off making the bike as road-worthy as possible and find a trade for a dirt bike. Both you and the bike will be much happier!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
Dirt roads is "offpavement" NOT "offroad". Any motorcycle can do dirt roads with decent tires and common sense. If it's wet etc you'll want deeper lug tires. If you're dealing with bumps, whoops or playing MX rider you likely want to do some suspension work.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Dirt roads is "offpavement" NOT "offroad". Any motorcycle can do dirt roads with decent tires and common sense. If it's wet etc you'll want deeper lug tires. If you're dealing with bumps, whoops or playing MX rider you likely want to do some suspension work.
You are partially correct. He also said "Groomed Trails" which is definitely "off-road". My point was not defining the terrain but merely suggesting that he may be able to trade his road bike for a more suitable bike to fit his needs.

I have a nighthawk 450. I know the bike quite well. I also have a few off-road and MX bikes... The nighthawk 250 may very well be one of the least capable bikes to drive off-pavement ever built! It's heavy, low, bulky, under-powered, gooey suspension, weak brakes - not to mention the cruiser style seating position would murder on the human spine.

The OP is asking if there are tire sizes available and if the bike can handle the strain on the drive-train. These are not the words of an experienced bike builder so rather than explain what is needed to convert the suspension of the Nighthawk, I am suggesting a trade would be a smart thing!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
BigIron805 OP
Adventurer

I do not yet own a nighthawk. I was looking at small dualsports for exploring dirtroads. Some of which are not county maintained. Then I goT the idea of making a sort of gravel runner out of a streetbike as seen on this forum. It could be a fun winter project.

My road bike is a Suzuki C50. I plan on keeping that as my roadbike a while longer.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
You are partially correct. He also said "Groomed Trails" which is definitely "off-road". My point was not defining the terrain but merely suggesting that he may be able to trade his road bike for a more suitable bike to fit his needs.

I have a nighthawk 450. I know the bike quite well. I also have a few off-road and MX bikes... The nighthawk 250 may very well be one of the least capable bikes to drive off-pavement ever built! It's heavy, low, bulky, under-powered, gooey suspension, weak brakes - not to mention the cruiser style seating position would murder on the human spine.

The OP is asking if there are tire sizes available and if the bike can handle the strain on the drive-train. These are not the words of an experienced bike builder so rather than explain what is needed to convert the suspension of the Nighthawk, I am suggesting a trade would be a smart thing!
What you are describing sounds more like the Rebel 250. I think the nighthawk could be made into a decent gravel runner:

dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
scmopar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I use a 250 rebel as a gravel runner. just changed front tire for a trails tread rear and handle bars with rock star grips Awsome scoot on blue slate gravel and sand.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
CB250 Adventure Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron805 View Post
Can a 250 nighthawk be made more dirt friendly? I,m talking about dirt roads and groomed trails.
Are there tires available? Would it put too much strain on the drivetrain?

I realize that it has dual drums but I don't think stopping power would be a problem for my use.
My little CB250 Adventure Bike has over 35,000 miles around Oregon back roads (paved and gravel) and some on dirt/sand. It didn't work the best in sand but got me home. The best part of the bike is the smooth running engine that gets over 70 mpg and the larger stock fuel tank, can go a long way between fuel stops.

Have been thinking of putting the engine in a small dual sport frame as the CB250 only has about 4 inches of suspension travel. It has a imitation K70 Dunlop on the front (4.00x18) and a 4.80x16 knobby on the rear. Have had other tires and this 16 inch rear is hard to find locally but available on the web.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote