Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Interesting. I've been wanting a 300-400cc scooter with a standard scooter look (meaning short wheelbase) for some time. I know it is possible to build, but was told it would be unstable at the speeds it would be capable of. I think larger wheels would solve that problem.

I won't be buying any more new bikes till after the end of March next year, if the Kawasaki is coming here it will probably be here by then. I can't see Kawasaki selling anything slow. Back in the '70s when mopeds were the big thing, all the Japanese manufacturers had them but Kawasaki. The laughed at them, and were pushing their KE100 as an alternative. They seemed to be doing the same with scooters.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,730

That is a good looking scooter.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrspirit View Post
Now that would be nice!
Indeed. If the performance and tech are right with modern service intervals, I'd roll it.

Certainly has better looks than its competitors.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Looks interesting. I hope they keep it simple and make it handle well...larger wheels and better suspension. I agree would be nice if it had the Ninja 300 motor...it's a little screamer...but I suspect the power band on that engine is too narrow for a scooter like this...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken View Post
Interesting.
I wish one of the Japanese companies would clone the Vespa style in a 300cc to 400cc scooter.
Closest is the Honda SH 300 which they refuse to bring to the US.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #21
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
The largest market for scooters in Europe, namely Italy, is still in the middle of a horrific recession (sales down 46% from 2012). That scooter market is completely tied down by Honda, Piaggio and Yamaha.

So I would assume that this scooter is destined for the Asian and Indian markets and will probably be produced locally rather than in Japan.

Re the USA: Can anyone here imagine members of the general public (rather than members of this forum) going to a Kawasaki dealer for a scooter?
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

I don't see this as an issue. Seems like most of the dealers in the US sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Or some combination of this group. The Kawasaki scooter would be on the floor right next to the Honda Scooter.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
k3ith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Gets my vote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I don't see this as an issue. Seems like most of the dealers in the US sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Or some combination of this group. The Kawasaki scooter would be on the floor right next to the Honda Scooter.
That's my thought. I know of a few Honda dealers that only sell Hondas, but I can't say I've ever noticed a Yamaha or Suzuki dealership that didn't sell Kawasakis. If you put this thing on the floor between a Forza and a Burgman it'll get some attention.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
I wish it could come to Mexico.. but California is close enough!

Looks nice, we will wait and see

Damasovi
Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #25
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,432
I think it looks a bit like the old Gilera Nexus. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Looks like it's based on a Kymco:

http://www.scooter-infos.com/actuali...saki-j300.html

Just use google translator to get text in English.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Looks like it's based on a Kymco:

http://www.scooter-infos.com/actuali...saki-j300.html

Just use google translator to get text in English.
Now that I think about it this scooter coming from Kymco makes the most sense. Historically Kawasaki has had very little interest in scooters if any at all. Seems odd they would kick start it now.

I am thinking it some kind of cross marketing scheme in select markets. Kymco using the might of Kawasaki to sell more scooters and for Kawasaki to attract scooter riders to its name. It will probably work well in those markets they try it in for both parties.

Honestly I don't see this Kawasaki branded Kymco making it to the states but then again maybe I am wrong. Usually I am but that is my thinking.

One thing I would like to see improved is overall MPG. Scooters as we know are pretty good but I think they could be better. If 5,000 pound pick up trucks are now getting 23+ MPG's and compact cars getting 40 MPG and many mid sized cars now pushing 30 + MPG's I don't see how a 400 pound scooter could not be improved. I know longer feel so special when my Majesty 400 gets 57 MPG for example.

I know improving MPG takes technology witch cost money but a lot of this tech is not really all that expensive anymore and its not like scooters are bargain priced as it is most of the time. If the manufactures were to really put their mind to it they can create a 300 to 400cc scoot that can achieve 125 to 150 MPG if not better. Seems far fetched but I think it could be done.

I recently read an article about camless engines. They can be built relatively cheap now and be very reliable. They will improve efficiency by up to 40% they say. Honda is looking to incorporate this design in future cars as part of a pledge to double the fuel economy ratings on its cars. Seems odd but its likely coming they say.

Now days it would probably be very easy to develop a small single cylinder engine using this technology and the economy ratings would probably be very good.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
The largest market for scooters in Europe, namely Italy, is still in the middle of a horrific recession (sales down 46% from 2012). That scooter market is completely tied down by Honda, Piaggio and Yamaha.

So I would assume that this scooter is destined for the Asian and Indian markets and will probably be produced locally rather than in Japan.

Re the USA: Can anyone here imagine members of the general public (rather than members of this forum) going to a Kawasaki dealer for a scooter?
I was talking earlier about the Italian scooter market. Here are the latest statistics for 2013 year-to-date:
http://www.ancma.it/uploads/Statisti...embre-2013.pdf

Hope you find it interesting....

BMW were going to attack the T-Max in its home territory with the "C" series scoots...so where are they on the list?

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Because of the recession in Europe, Spain and Italy have seen their 2 wheeled sales crumble. As a result, France is now the number one European country for sales of motorcycles and scooters. The Tmax is the best selling maxi scooter over there. Piaggio 3-wheelers (MP3) out sell motorcycles and scooters.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Piaggio 3-wheelers (MP3) out sell motorcycles and scooters.
??? Really