User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,542
Ideal Tires for the Super 10. Mitas E-07

This will serve as my review of the Mitas E-07 tires.

It seems they are gaining popularity slowly in the US, and every now and then you see them on a bike on here. We still have no US distributer, and the ONLY place I know to get them is MX1 Canada. They are very reasonably priced as far as big-bike tires go, so I can easily justify the increased shipping cost with that.

I just returned from about a 7000 mile, 17 day trip to the western US. You can see my ride report here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916419

I was asked by several people for a detailed tire review of the Mitas tires. This was my first experience with them. During my ride, I extensively covered pretty much every imaginable surface you can encounter. Pavement, wet pavement, dirt, gravel, mud, sand, rock and snow. I didn't ride ice but thats a bit nutty without ice tires.

First I'll cover traction based on each surface:

Dry Pavement- (A)
Excellent traction and handling characteristics. Scrapes pegs no problem, and you can lean them right over on to the corner knobs and they stick just fine. It took me a bit to build confidence in them being a true dual sport tire. My rear tire used every last mm of the rubber, and the front had about 1-2 mm remaining unused. This is typical for my riding habits and no different than street tires I've used.
Turn in is even and very light. I like a light steering tire, and it gives the "fall off the edge" feel. Some folks don't like that but I prefer it. You can feel the tread blocks squirm ever so slightly, and they don't have a perfect "locked in" feel of a street, or 90/10 tire, but you get used to it very quickly.
They are even pretty quiet!!! They make less noise than a set of Anakee 3 tires they replaced.

Wet Pavement- (A)
Again, excellent. They shed water, and even in heavy rain they never once stepped out on me. I've been scared out of my wits on Tourances in the rain so I was nervous how these would do. I pushed them MODERATELY hard, and not to the edge. I don't push it in the rain anymore.

Dry Dirt- (A)
They transformed my Tenere into a real off road bike. Aired down to about 20 PSI they have a great feel to them. At street pressures (33 rear, 31 front) they were pretty bouncy off rocks and a bit skittish. Very predictable though and plenty of grip. No complaints.

Mud- Rear (A) Front (B)
The rear tire simply digs and spits and never gives up. It cleans itself out quickly and never once stepped out. The front is the weak link. It was still to the point of being safe, but it packed in much quicker and washed out fairly often, although it was always predictable. For a good mud combo a knobby up front would probably work great, and they would wear out closer to the same time. I don't spend enough time in the mud to justify though, and prefer the great road handling of the E-07.

Sand- Rear (A) Front (B)
I don't have a ton of sand riding experience so I might not be the best judge of this. The rear dug in and once again pushed the bike without an issue. The front wandered often and was never planted, but USUALLY predictable. I think this is just the nature of sand riding though

Rock- (A)
I think just about any tire would do fine on big solid rock. Smaller baby head, and gravel type rocks were a non event.

Snow- (A)
I didn't get extensive time in the snow, and it was mostly either wet slushy, or fresh powder. None was hard pack. For the conditions I rode in it was excellent.

On to wear:
I have over 7000 miles on my set and there is lots left. I don't run my tires right down to the wear bars, especially on an off road bike. I should get at least another 1-2 thousand miles on the back before I decide its time. The front is lasting longer. 10-12K should be easy. The rear is squared some but it took a LONG time and is not as bad as some street tires I've ridden. The front shows very little, if any feathering or cupping. Nice and smooth.

They make a regular version which is 3 ply, and a "dakar" version which is 4 ply. The dakar lets you air down more without as much worry of rim damage, due to the stiffer sidewall.
On my trip I ran a regular on the back and dakar on front, for no other reason other than thats all they had in stock at the time. They have a nice ride to them and didn't feel overly stiff.

Here is my rear currently with 7k miles, next to a brand new one:

[IMG][/IMG]

And the front:

[IMG][/IMG]

They look good on the bike too

[IMG][/IMG]

This is probably good evidence how much a fan I am of them:

[IMG][/IMG]
You can see they are doing pretty well, and are very tough. They saw a lot of high speed interstate, abuse on gravel roads, and lot of rocks. Probably about 500 off road miles in total. In my opinion, these are the tires that should come standard on the Super Tenere!!

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Hi scudrunner!
Thanks for the great review! I was looking for a tire to replace the MEFO explorers that I am unhappy with. The MEFOs are a similar tread design but both rears I have purchased have cracked severely at the base of the tread blocks. The first was replaced under warrentee at 5000k, the second decided me to replace them with something else. I need absolute confidence in my tires and don't have that with the MEFOs. Though the wear and handling have been fine, I don't trust them. I will try the Mitas on the basis of your write up and accompanying photos in your ride report.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi scudrunner!
Thanks for the great review! I was looking for a tire to replace the MEFO explorers that I am unhappy with. The MEFOs are a similar tread design but both rears I have purchased have cracked severely at the base of the tread blocks. The first was replaced under warrentee at 5000k, the second decided me to replace them with something else. I need absolute confidence in my tires and don't have that with the MEFOs. Though the wear and handling have been fine, I don't trust them. I will try the Mitas on the basis of your write up and accompanying photos in your ride report.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
Regards....just jeff

I hope you like them, especially going on my recommendation! I think you will have good luck with them. I have heard reports of the front E 07 cracking but I think they had a recall on that and this was a long time ago. I had no cracking issues on mine at all.
Thanks for taking the time to read my write up!
What kind of bike are they going on?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
I hope you like them, especially going on my recommendation! I think you will have good luck with them. I have heard reports of the front E 07 cracking but I think they had a recall on that and this was a long time ago. I had no cracking issues on mine at all.
Thanks for taking the time to read my write up!
What kind of bike are they going on?
My bike is a 2011 KLR 650. It is well farkled for long distance on and off road.I have over 17000 kilometers(10500miles) on it so far. Loaded with camping gear and me it comes in at 825lbs, 2/3rds of which is on the rear wheel. A friend has recently purchased Mitas tires for his 990KTM but hasn't put them on yet. I hope we'll be as happy as you are!
Ride Safe....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 112
Thumb

Nice review!

I am seriously considering a set of the 07s to replace the Anakee 2s that I currently have on my DR650.

I don't want to give up any pavement handling, sounds like I won't according to your review. I really like to rail through the corners and would hate to give up any of that.

The Anakees disappointed me both in mileage (wore out quickly) and off road abilities (lacking) , sounds like the 07s have that covered.

Appreciate the feedback, that certainly helps me make my decision.

'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Great review. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
What was the price in USD Shipped to your house?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 112
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
What was the price in USD Shipped to your house?

Thanks!
I just ordered a set:

Product: Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Front Tire DOT
OPTION (s): Select Size: 90/90-21 TT - $89.95
Part No: 752463821
Quantity: 1
Item price: CAD $89.95

Product: Mitas E-07 Dual Sport Rear Tire DOT
OPTION (s): Select Size: 130/80-17 TT - $129.95
Part No: 752413217
Quantity: 1
Item price: CAD $129.95

$265 USD to my door (Washington State).

Not super cheap, hoping these last longer than the Anakees.
'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 49
Mitas E-07's are great tires

I put on a set of Mitas E-07 Dakar's for a trip to Alaska this summer (7/3 to 8/10). I put about 8,100 miles on them during this trip. They have been the best tire I have used on my 1150GS. so far. The rear can probably go another 2000 miles or so. The front probably 3000. I was a little concerned with the the max tire pressure of only 33psi. But no problem the entire trip. I did notice a little uneven wear on the rear tire when I got to Alaska 12 days into the trip. Checked the air pressure and I was down to 24 psi. Aired them back up and the knobs seemed to lose their unevenness the more miles I rode on them. I rode mostly asphalt the whole trip, dirt on the Dempster, Dalton, Denali, and the dirt into McCarthy.

The other thing I noticed is that the rear tire doesn't flatten out as much as other tires I have used, ie Hedi K60, TKC80, Shinko 705.
We travel between the eternities
Robert Duvall - Broken Trail
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
scudrunner82 OP
human whoopy cushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterman View Post
I put on a set of Mitas E-07 Dakar's for a trip to Alaska this summer (7/3 to 8/10). I put about 8,100 miles on them during this trip. They have been the best tire I have used on my 1150GS. so far. The rear can probably go another 2000 miles or so. The front probably 3000. I was a little concerned with the the max tire pressure of only 33psi. But no problem the entire trip. I did notice a little uneven wear on the rear tire when I got to Alaska 12 days into the trip. Checked the air pressure and I was down to 24 psi. Aired them back up and the knobs seemed to lose their unevenness the more miles I rode on them. I rode mostly asphalt the whole trip, dirt on the Dempster, Dalton, Denali, and the dirt into McCarthy.

The other thing I noticed is that the rear tire doesn't flatten out as much as other tires I have used, ie Hedi K60, TKC80, Shinko 705.
I noticed that too. They resist squaring very well.

I also was worried about the low pressures they run at, but it works just great.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Thanks scudrunner. Nice review....BUT, since your tires are on a raven S10, no telling how they'll perform on the underpowered blue ones. Tread looks great tho,should give some bite in mud & sand. I'm going to look at them.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
I'm more than happy with the Mitas E07's on my Wee-Strom..... based on current wear rate the rear will last close to 20-25,000 km's.

I also have the Mefo Explorers on my KLE500, they will not run to quite the same distance as the E07's on the Wee at this stage, but from a grip point of view they are doing a very similar job [the E07 is slightly better on wet tar though, so my next set will be those for the KLE].

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,663
great tire...maybe one day we can order from a us supplier direct
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242
slowest usa market product availability EVER.
i think glaciers move quicker.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 832
Great tire..9k out of my rear reg E07 with about 1/4" of tread still left. Just switched to Dakar E07 rear & rode about 500 miles in N. GA mountains this past couple days....never missed a beat with the E07 on pavement & dirt.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Nice review, Thanks for taking the time to write it.