ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,668
Question SE And The Brown Wire

So we had a run of low octane fuel and I pulled the brown wire, it felt like I had pulled one carb off Maya

We had no bottom end at all i.e. struggling in 1st gear going up and around tighter corners, seemed to run almost ok in medium revs but no good at the top end.

So feeling like one carb is missing and seriously heavy fuel usaege has anyone else experienced this

I know it is only supposed to be a temporary pull utnil you can get good fuel but that could be considerable distance and a few tanks of fuel or more here.

Just curious if the side effects are normal or not, I was expecting a power loss but not a bike that was very unhappy below 4000 and above 6000 kinda thing

Input from those in the know please
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Just did it on my 990(sorry not 950). But I had good 89 octane(U.S.). Only thing I noticed was a little softer off the bottom. Still pulled well up top. Maybe the fuel itself? Maybe 89 octane not low enough to cause a problem? Different bike I know.
But the FI light came on when the low fuel light came on. Reminder to hook the wires up again?
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

We have no lights flashing and no power ...we dont need a reminder to plug it back in, I will wire a switch to the dash so I can switch it easy on the move if needbe, other than that it will be soft throttle openings across the board.

Anyone else experience a power dip to 125 cc status
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
The few times I have pulled the wire, I noticed more popping on decel, but not much else.

Maybe a little less power, or maybe a more active imagination, I couldn't tell for sure which. I suppose if I had really wrung its neck, I might have found a greater power loss on the top end.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I suppose if I had really wrung its neck, I might have found a greater power loss on the top end.
We didn't get to that stage either but it was noticeable bogging down low and above the middle, plugged back in ... new bike
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Heya fellas

Ok, in Peru now, pulled the brown wire again, it runs crappy at sea level and runs like shit at 3500 meters plus so elevation makes it worse .

So my question is, usually with lower octane fuel there is a gain in low end torque and drop in top end, no prob.....so when pulling the brown wire should we put in lower octane again?

Using the 90 here and pulling the brown wire renders the first third of the throttle useless to the point of dangerous on switchbacks.

We have flexijets too which make a huge difference and help but not enough to stop the bottom third super bog.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I recall by pulling the brown wire it retards the timing to prevent detonation. Not sure if you can find this in Peru but I would buy octane boost or race gas (mix 1/3-2/3 or 50/50 with reg. gas) or ? to increase the octane and keep the brown wire plugged in so you can safely ride your bike. Don't use aviation fuel even though it has 100 octane.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote