Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I've worn them riding over 2100 miles in 30 hours, and never had a problem. I know another guy that wore the same pair the whole 11 days of the iron butt rally. Yeah, they stuck to heaven, but no crotch rot. I suspect you may be allergic to something in them, or were dirty before you put them on. Personally, I'm a huge LD Comfort fan.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Do the LD shorts dry overnight in the hotel room? They look pretty thick.
Yes they're practically dry after you wring them out.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Do the LD shorts dry overnight in the hotel room? They look pretty thick.
no, unless you rolled them in thick and dry towels and squeezed them hard (I step on them).

In warm mornings if they are still moist is ok, but on cold morning, or rainy day, the hotel room hairdrier session is required to avoid a miserable start of day.

Sometimes I manage to setup hangers, chairs or lamps to hang in front of the AC, fan or heater. the warm back of big ugly CRT TVs in cheap motels is fine too!. always bring a rope for clothesline if you can improvise.

Otherwise, suspend as high as possible to exploit warmer air,but not on shower pole, the air is too humid after the shower.

or you can even put them on until bed time (especially you you are alone and have a spare bed to use as a sponge while watching tv! LOL)

ok, I'm out of ideas...

no BO issues after 130`000km with the same shirt/short. wash with shampoo (cleaner, not revitaliser crap), or simply dishes soap. I carry my own tiny bottle for the number of wash in expect to do (hence, using the shampoo is simpler. room shampoo is not just a mere cleaner.)
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Wash them every day, some folks carry small packets of laundry soap, shorts,socks and Tshirts get this treatment upon arriving at hotel, by morning they are dry for another day. You can buy small packets of Woolite, about the size of shampoo packets, or use a 4oz plastic bottle you fill yourself
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
As long as we're sharing...TMI?

When riding and camping I've had to go a couple days in a row without a shower or washing my LD stuff. I didnt feel "fresh", but I didnt suffer from "crotch-rot," either.

Here's my thoughts: Just like some guys like boxers and some guys like "tighty-whiteys" some of us are not going to like the LD stuff. My buddy swears by them, but I think they are only marginally better than stuff that is way cheaper. You could always sell them--yes underwear--in the FM. There are many true believers that would buy LD stuff.

Also, they are good long underwear for winters here in MN. I may as well get as much use as possible for such expensive stuff!

Mr. B screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 04:42 PM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
You could always sell them--yes underwear--in the FM. There are many true believers that would buy LD stuff.
Who's gonna want to buy them now, knowing he has crotch rot?
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Who's gonna want to buy them now, knowing he has crotch rot?
When you put it like that...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #23
bigphish OP
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 384
OK, maybe crotch rot was a bit over the top. I have two pair and did wash them after only one days use. Experienced 30 to 100 degree temps on a month long tour this year and temps did not make a diff. I think it is just the material. Gore tex riding pants, I do not have this issue wearing my long under armour wind breakers.

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #24
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
if you had 1 bad moment, the bacterias causing odors stayed.
at home, machine wash in hottest water, bacterias survive hand wash otherwise. also soak in salted water overnight. should all come back to normal.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #25
bigphish OP
Curiously Satisfying

You know, someone else just mentioned the salt water treatment as well. Will try today and see what happens
Thanks for the tip

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Do you soak the shorts in salt water overnight...or your crotch?
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Old 10-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
bigphish OP
Curiously Satisfying

2 pages in to the thread before the first smart ass comment. Boondox you win.
I do like to soak my balls in salt water though. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 750
Not sure what's up with the OP's issue. We all sweat, LDComfort gear is not intended to make you sweat any less. Some people will sweat more with it on, as a simple issue of heavier fabric and more coverage than what they might otherwise wear. LDComfort is extremely wicking fabric, that's why it works well for most people.

FWIW, they used to offer a different fabric that was no where near as wicking as the current drymax (?). They always offered the drymax, but for a while offered both that and a lesser wicking fabric, IIRC. You might check your labels.

When was the last time you washed your riding pants? Goretex needs to be washed now and then to renew it, otherwise the pores get clogged and it doesn't breath. And even with Goretex, if you don't have any venting, it's going to be hot and uncomfortable.

For this year's IBR, I wore the same pair of LDComfort shorts and top for the entire 11 days and over 10k miles. I washed them twice during the rally and experienced zero monkey butt or rashes, etc. They did get stinky, which is what made me wash them when I had the time. I simply get in the shower with them on, soap them up, remove and rinse them in the shower and complete my shower. Then after drying myself, I roll the LDComfort in a dry towel or the same one I dried with if no dry towel available. A good tight roll up in the towel will remove most of the water from the fabric, but it will still be damp.

In the morning they are usually not completely dry, but I was only sleeping for 4 hours too. However, it is important to understand that while they feel cool for a few minutes after putting them on this way, the moisture is not against your skin and once your body warms them up, most people will be comfortable wearing them.

I have a zip neck top with long sleeves. I don't care for the mock turtle neck top w/o the zipper and once made the mistake of getting it a size smaller than I should have. That did drive me nuts and I had to take it off mid ride and put a tee shirt on. If the shorts are too tight, I could see that bugging the OP too.

In normal wear, I'm pretty much a minimalist on the underwear zone, so LDComfort shorts are a lot more material than I usually wear, but I don't find them uncomfortable at all for riding. Part of that is that no seams bug me while seated on the bike for hours on end. The normal underwear will start to cut in at the seams after a few hours, especially when it's hot. Cotton is not a great choice for a sweaty butt inside riding gear!

All this said, no product will suit 100% of the customers.

I was wearing Olympia MotoX pants which have a huge vent panel on the front of each leg. LDComfort and venting is great on hot days, for me.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #29
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post
2 pages in to the thread before the first smart ass comment. Boondox you win.
I do like to soak my balls in salt water though. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sorry, it was just too good an opening to pass!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I have 40k miles in mine and am a big fan.
They make they day.
I use monkey butt powder with them and have no issues.
Dust them balls,taint and crack and go get some miles.

Sean