Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Front right Brake caliper rubbing on brake disc

OK guys I hope you can help me out.
I have a 2010 F800gs and I have just got it back from the dealership having the Head-stem bearings replaced.

When I rode my bike home I noticed I could hear a different noise coming from the front wheel.

I got home a noticed the RH Brake caliper was scraping against the brake disc.

I have never heard of this happening before.
Every time I put my front wheel on it finds it's own centre.

All wheel bearings are perfect, brake disc is straight, brake pads are in and have heaps of life left, front rim is a dead straight excel from woodys with a Rad hub. Nothing appears to be missing. The spacer is still on the LH Side .

What I did to solve this for now was loosen the pinch bolts on the RH side and pulled the fork leg out approx 1 mm to give me some clearance.

This has solved the problem for now but I want to know why and how this has happened . Also the is approx 3 mm gap between the disc and caliper on the LH side and now only 1 mm gap on the RH side.

Please help oh wise men. ( and women)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,048
Simple. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it correctly.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,408
What he said, except that you're probably far away from the Dealer. A good shop would have test rode it and discovered the problem.

There is only 1.5mm or so clearance there at best. Are the forks straight in the triples? That would be my guess.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
If you loosen the right hand pinch bolts and leave the left tight you should be able to bounce the front suspension and allow the forks to self center. If it's still in contact after that, I'd start looking to see if the wheel spacer on the left is cocked or damaged or something...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah it would be simple to take it back to the dealer but I am 200 klm away from the and the guy who did the job is not back at work till Monday .
I just can't understand how anything in the triples can effect down below .
Old 10-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

I realize now while reading my last post that it was not quite as clear as it could have been. I was referring to the axle pinch bolts rather than the triple clamp bolts. I don't think you could get the triples off far enough to offset the axle like that. I'm actually thinking that the most likely culprit is the wheel spacer, somehow not seated properly or some such.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Remove the front wheel completely. Make note of all that you see. Check wheel bearings by pushing your thumb into the inner race and turning the bearing. Check for the presence and correct assembly of the spacer on the LH side. Anything unusual should be investigated carefully. Its something simple. You dealer should have tested the bike after major surgery. SHB replacement is major. Photograph everything that is wrong. Next time you are at the dealer.......... deal with them. Good luck.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys!
Bike is on the trailer and going back to the dealer tomorrow.
I tried all of the suggestions and the wheel self centers of centre and the disc still rubs on the Caliper!
Removed the wheel and wheel bearings are perfect, spacer is complete and intact?
I am lost. The only answer I think it can be is the hub on the new woodys wheel is out of alignment . Has this ever happend with a RAD hub before anyone??
My problem is on Thursday I am due to go on the GS Safari approx 1000 klm away and this could not have come at a worse time.
It was at the dealer getting the clearance inspection so I could participate.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
Thanks guys!
Bike is on the trailer and going back to the dealer tomorrow.
I tried all of the suggestions and the wheel self centers of centre and the disc still rubs on the Caliper!
Removed the wheel and wheel bearings are perfect, spacer is complete and intact?
I am lost. The only answer I think it can be is the hub on the new woodys wheel is out of alignment . Has this ever happend with a RAD hub before anyone??
My problem is on Thursday I am due to go on the GS Safari approx 1000 klm away and this could not have come at a worse time.
It was at the dealer getting the clearance inspection so I could participate.
When Woddy build my Rad hub wheels the offset was matched with the stock ones. You can loosen this, and that, but if the offset is... uhhhmmmm..... off.... then yes, therein lies your problem, which is with Woddy, not your dealer, unless off course your dealer installed Woodys wheel for you. We are all human, and makes mistakes, and if the offset is off, I am 100% certain that Woddy will cover your costs. It is peculiar that you have twice the clearance on one side, and nothing on the other. Still have your stock wheel...... Time 4 a swap.

(ps) I guess I should mention that the offset is with regards to the discs, not the wheel build itself.... which in that case either hub is bad, of the disc mount.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
When Woddy build my Rad hub wheels the offset was matched with the stock ones. You can loosen this, and that, but if the offset is... uhhhmmmm..... off.... then yes, therein lies your problem, which is with Woddy, not your dealer, unless off course your dealer installed Woodys wheel for you. We are all human, and makes mistakes, and if the offset is off, I am 100% certain that Woddy will cover your costs. It is peculiar that you have twice the clearance on one side, and nothing on the other. Still have your stock wheel...... Time 4 a swap.

(ps) I guess I should mention that the offset is with regards to the discs, not the wheel build itself.... which in that case either hub is bad, of the disc mount.
I agree i think it's a bad hub. Not something you would see with the naked eye that's for sure.
Problem is I'm in Australia and need it fixed before Thursday!!!
Oh well looks like I will be refitting my flat warped old rim for the trip if that's the case.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Or you could take 1 mm off the wheel spacer, I'm sure you could do it by hand if you can't find a machine shop with spare time. It would see you through your trip at least.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Or you could take 1 mm off the wheel spacer, I'm sure you could do it by hand if you can't find a machine shop with spare time. It would see you through your trip at least.
I thought about that but then it would bring it 1mm close to the other caliper
Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Just refitted my old rim and it has the same issue?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
Update

Just refitted my old rim and it has the same issue?
Ok...... That clears Woody. Time to look for bent items...... Wrong installed parts....etc. like parts from the left leg, now on the right side. I think you can solve this yourself......rather than trucking 200 kms....... Perhaps a call to the dealer as they open.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
OZZY-GS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No parts are on the wrong side
The only part that could be bent is the Caliper mount....but that is cast Aluminium. If it is bent i doubt i will be able to bend it back again without it breaking. The Dealers problem I think.