Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
GPS Unit for Theft Protection

Hello,

A friend of mine just had his BMW R100 stolen from out front of his house. Most likely he'll never see it again. It got me wondering about discrete, well hidden GPS units on motorcycles so if it was stolen, you could track it down.

My understanding is you can buy one for $100-200 depending on the unit but the only drag is battery life. You don't wanna take something out that needs to be hidden once every five days to charge it. However, the bike itself is a charging system, as long as you ride it once every week or so, you'll keep the GPS unit charged.

But how do you convert the electricity of the bike to charge your GPS unit? Would you connect it to the battery via some convertor, or run it straight from the AC of the bike's stator? If you connect it to the motorcycle battery will the GPS unit drain your battery and leave you with no spark in the morning?

Wondering if anyone has ever thought about this before.
akpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
High end popular bikes are rarely stolen for resale or as keepers. Fake paperwork is too tricky($$$). Most likely it's torn down and sold as parts. Adding a hidden GPS transmitter is just one more item for the low life to sell.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Given where my bikes are stored and where I ride them, unless the thief steals the bike and tears it apart within 5 hours I will know and I will find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
High end popular bikes are rarely stolen for resale or as keepers. Fake paperwork is too tricky($$$). Most likely it's torn down and sold as parts. Adding a hidden GPS transmitter is just one more item for the low life to sell.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpasta View Post
Given where my bikes are stored and where I ride them, unless the thief steals the bike and tears it apart within 5 hours I will know and I will find them.
Really? 5 hours...Amateurs. Pro's will have them 90% broken down in the van before they get to the chop shop.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Is this really how it works? They'll steal em in the middle of the night and have em totally broken down within 2 hours or less? And pre-1980 bikes too? I thought the chop shop thing was mostly harleys or new bikes for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Really? 5 hours...Amateurs. Pro's will have them 90% broken down in the van before they get to the chop shop.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 307
If you are actually considering gps tracking try these:

http://www.geekosystem.com/tile-app/
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Tile is neat for finding misplaced things around the house but its range is mostly limited to that.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,608
Gtu-10

Garmin makes such a device: http://www8.garmin.com/followme/

It's small, lightweight and waterproof and you can track it using Garmin Tracker on a Smartphone or via the Web.
Easy to hide under a seat or panel.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
The Tile is neat for finding misplaced things around the house but its range is mostly limited to that.

I thought I heard the Tile CEO saying that the Tiles use other Tiles to expand the range. So if they get really popular it would be like an internet of Tiles.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
... It got me wondering about discrete, well hidden GPS units on motorcycles so if it was stolen, you could track it down...
Isn't this exactly what the LoJack system does?

Dave
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
akpasta OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I read up on that. Only draw-back is I want access to the GPS info too, I don't want to have to rely on only the cops. If they're flaking or something I want to be able to take the law into my own hands (probably stupid but still, peace of mind).
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
+1 for LoJack... it even calls you when you move the bike (without the key on) inside your own garage...
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,346
The suggestion by JetSpeed looks pretty good. You could wire a USB port to your battery and keep it charged through that. Then it is just a matter of concealing it. It's got geofencing to allow, I assume, alerts when it leaves an area (like your house). Spot would be another option. But pretty much any type of device like that relies on a cell phone for communication (or sat phone for Spot). So in addition to the initial cost, you will likely have to pay a monthly/annual fee to keep it on. (Notice on the Garmin it says "1 year Standard Tracking included", you will pay $50/year after that and that is just the last 10 points. Pay another $5/mo for 7 days of history).

Another option would to just buy a cheap "pay as go" cell phone, as long as it was GPS enabled and have an app to allow for tracking (don't know of any, but I'm sure there are dozens). If you used it solely as a tracker, I can't imagine the data use would be very high.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
The suggestion by JetSpeed looks pretty good. You could wire a USB port to your battery and keep it charged through that. Then it is just a matter of concealing it. It's got geofencing to allow, I assume, alerts when it leaves an area (like your house). Spot would be another option. But pretty much any type of device like that relies on a cell phone for communication (or sat phone for Spot). So in addition to the initial cost, you will likely have to pay a monthly/annual fee to keep it on. (Notice on the Garmin it says "1 year Standard Tracking included", you will pay $50/year after that and that is just the last 10 points. Pay another $5/mo for 7 days of history).

Another option would to just buy a cheap "pay as go" cell phone, as long as it was GPS enabled and have an app to allow for tracking (don't know of any, but I'm sure there are dozens). If you used it solely as a tracker, I can't imagine the data use would be very high.
The problem I see with any device that uses cell phone technology to communicate is easily disabled by use of a cell phone scrambler, they are easy to get ahold of or make with directions redily availabe on the internet.

I do not know what the solution for that issue is however.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 966
Been thinking of adding tracking to an enclosed trailer. These get good reviews. Any instant tracking will need service plans but how much is your stuff worth to you?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/pr...Ascend&from=fn
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote