User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,018
Don't Overlook the GasGas Eco

Is it an Econo or an Eco? The web sites have both names.

Having been a very happy owner of a 2010 Econo 280, and having had it all apart and seen it was made up of most of the same parts that go into Ragas, if money is the issue and you want a virgin-new bike, please consider the GasGas Eco(no).

I made a comment in an earlier thread about my concern over the forks, as I saw a photo and said they 'looked cheap.' Actually, they look simple, as there is little sticker bling.

I saw two Eco(no)s at the Peru, KS event Dale had out for under $5,000. He and others said they ride surprisingly sweet.

Turns out the R16V steel-tube forks and the R16V shock are made by olle-amortidores.com of Spain. Olle supplied Sherco shocks for years.

I observed the first-generation 2009 Raga round-tube frame and the 2009/10 sub frame and muffler designs. The sub frame has straight not sunken in sides and is simpler and I like it better than the newer sunken-in one.

The carb is the same Dell'Orto that has worked so well on my Econo. I saw what looked like the latest-generation aluminum bottom end (same as the Replica) and latest 2013 cylinder, head and radiator. The tube type rear rim is still there, and that works fine. Pirelli tires? That could be a negative. Perhaps these are softer Pirellis? My 2010 Econo came with Michelins.

Same strong AJP brakes as my Econo and some other brands still use.

Sorry, I accidentally deleted my photos. Here's what they look like:

http://www.gasgas.com/2013_econo.htm

The Ecos lack the gaggle of stickers of the higher models, but at their cores they are simple and solid machines, just as my Econo was for me. Marketing is a very powerful force. It worked on me (too) and now I have a Raga But my Econo will remain locked in my brain as one of my all-time favorites.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I think they are a great value as well. $2K saving is alot of $$ for a new rider that wants a new bike over used.

Im pretty sure they are one of the easier bikes to sticker in Ca. I know Adrian has sold a fair number of them.

at 1st Econo was GG, ECO was Sherco - now either is used for both. I think the correct name falls into the call me anything - just not late for dinner category.

BTW - Sherco uses a R16V Shock on the 13's
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 196
Timely post. A riding buddy and i are currently waiting to hear back on an offer on a pair of new 280 Econos.

These will be our first venture into trials. Any recommendations on mods/accessories? - fork/case/lever guards, etc.

I'm 205 w/o gear, will the stock suspension make sounds normally only heard in a cross fit gym if i don't respring it? Or can that wait until I possess some higher level trials riding skill?
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Fork and frame guards are a good investment IMO.

If you find your bottoming the suspension and dragin butt, You can probably just increase the preload on the shock a bit. Dial in about 60-65mm of sag with you on the bike . Im not familiar with the R16v fork - but theres probably a preload adjustment or spacer you can tweak.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
You would be far better off buying a clean used `real` pro for the same money. Having a brand new bike is appealing, but three months from now you will also have a used bike with crappy parts. Everyone in our club that have bought one has regretted it.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
You would be far better off buying a clean used `real` pro for the same money. Having a brand new bike is appealing, but three months from now you will also have a used bike with crappy parts. Everyone in our club that have bought one has regretted it.
Are the 2010 frame, suspension, head, carb and rear rim really that bad?

I figured having the suspension re-sprung and re-valved (if not just flat out replaced) would be a given eventually, anyway.

I'm in (near) Reno where used bikes hardly ever come up anywhere near, and when they do, seem to be at a much higher premium than out East.
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I think I`m being truthful, as the last eco I worked on was a 2010 or 2011. It was a friend that was a faithful gas gas rider. That for years he bought a bike every year. Starting in like `94 and also rode most of the nationals. When the pro came out he started skipping years. 2002, 2004, 2006 and then bought the Eco. Not a happy camper. They are not just left over parts, seems to be a mix of China involved.
The internet is quite the tool for truth. I worked on his brakes several times for hours. That was before he could ride it. I still do not know what brand they are.
Like I said used bikes are stupid cheap for a two year old bike. I would be patient and plan a road trip. Just my two cents.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
I think I`m being truthful, as the last eco I worked on was a 2010 or 2011. It was a friend that was a faithful gas gas rider. That for years he bought a bike every year. Starting in like `94 and also rode most of the nationals. When the pro came out he started skipping years. 2002, 2004, 2006 and then bought the Eco. Not a happy camper. They are not just left over parts, seems to be a mix of China involved.
The internet is quite the tool for truth. I worked on his brakes several times for hours. That was before he could ride it. I still do not know what brand they are.
Like I said used bikes are stupid cheap for a two year old bike. I would be patient and plan a road trip. Just my two cents.
It's not been my experience, but I cannot speak against anyone else's experiences. There may be some crap Econos. Maybe I just got lucky?

I can take any sow's ear used bike and turn it into a silk purse. But there are guys without the time or skills to do the same, so I thought the opportunity to buy a new bike for less might be a good thing.

I looked really closely at the 2013 Econos and I just could not see much difference in the core parts, like the engine. And every thing else looked just as quality as most of the higher models. I was surprised to find the same engine components - as far as I could tell, as in the 2013 Pros and even Replicas Dale had side-by-side.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
I do agree with this. If you can find that cherry used bike, why not?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Are the 2010 frame, suspension, head, carb and rear rim really that bad?

If it was just `new` left over parts I would think they would sell out quick. I could easily ride an 2002 pro 280 just as easily as a 2010. The power, weight and brakes are not much different.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Motobene is a great guy and a very solid rider. He is like me and will take his bike and make the most of it. No complaints, just make it work the best it can be and enjoy it. Not all people are this easy to please after seeing what might have been for a few dollars more. Nothing worse than buying a new bike, and all you can think of is that your old one worked better. That is the reality of buying an econo.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
laser17
Studly Adventurer

They would probably sell more if the photos of the new 2013 display Econo had a water pump on it.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I did notice that!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 620
Well, not everybody in your club. I'm a member, right?

My 09 GG econo has been very solid. At sipapu Mitch and his dad got my head spinning with younger ragas and their miraculous suspension, but as I calmed down I have to say that I have come a long way with my current ride, and that other riders can sure do things I can't on it.

As for comparing '02s with '11s, and how many spokes a Beta had when Jimmy Carter was president, Bob, I am perpetually in awe...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
Well, not everybody in your club. I'm a member, right?

My 09 GG econo has been very solid. At sipapu Mitch and his dad got my head spinning with younger ragas and their miraculous suspension, but as I calmed down I have to say that I have come a long way with my current ride, and that other riders can sure do things I can't on it.

As for comparing '02s with '11s, and how many spokes a Beta had when Jimmy Carter was president, Bob, I am perpetually in awe...
Dammit greyDawg, I thought I had you primed to buy that bike from me, dad has his 13, I have the 12, the 11 is waiting for you to come get it!

Seriously, "buy as NEW as you can afford" is the Mantra you have to know that saves many "newbies" from buying something like Lineaway has, A money pit that is 22+ years old, that even if we'd unboxed that 22+ just yesterday (factory new) it would NOT ride like the newly produced/designed bikes. Sure ridable, but hell a honda trail 90 is ridable. Now, what I am saying without any grey area is: IT is TOTALLY different for those that have ridden for years, and wants to have that bike they used to have, compared to a NEWB that wants a bike to start on.

I love gasgas only probably because for 11 years now, I have learned my way around them, have several hundreds worth of spare parts (dont even start the shit, that nobody else carries spare parts when you travel 800 miles to compete, like I have).

Buying a beta would mean 80% of the parts I keep "in case" is worthless, so everything I have vested, yeah Ill be gasgas for a while. There for a while, even the footpegs and levers would been worthless, because Beta/montessa never learned how to mount the pegs to the frame, like everyone else

I rode new sherco last year, and the OSSA, I like the ossa but have NOT gotten to try the latest "program" though. When I rode the 2012, I gassed the damn thing, and almost went "OVER THE BARS"... yes I mean over the bars! It didn't "GO" like my gasgas would have, that I was bracing for. But the bike was good on a lot of factors, ran like a tractor (good thing IMHO).

I figure the 300 might be up my alley, I like the idea of FI, so when I get to Sipapau I dont have to mess with carb. I assume I dont anyhow?

Sting32 screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 08:27 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote