Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Hey G - Just wait until you try and sell that BYOB of yours.
No kidding. I need to take care of it!!
I am so glad that there isn't a econo version of the EVO out there. That would really suck.

BTW, the 2014 Beta is not just a 2013 with new stickers. The 2013 had some big changes and the 2014 has even more.

Some Beta

http://www.todotrial.com/en/test/new...-evo-2014.html

They are not just sittin on their laurels of building the best trials bikes out there!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #32
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
To be completely honest, if you had a brand new NOS Gas Gas produced 7 years ago, and a 2013 bike, would your results be that much different on the 2013? The only real difference would be the gearbox on the newer bike, would probably last a lot longer than the older bike, which came with a lot of built in problem areas.
You are making my point. NEW STEEKERS!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #33
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 758
I dunno My 2011 Econ starts right up, gets me to the sections, gets me through the sections and brings a huge smile to my face! It's the right bike for me, glad I have one.
[IMG][/IMG]

10K screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 07:46 AM
10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K View Post
I dunno know. My 2011 Econ starts right up, gets me to the sections, gets me through the sections and brings a huge smile to my face! It's the right bike for me, glad I have one.
. That is awesome! I do not in any way disagree that they do just fine.

They could at least change the name though. Eco or Econo just doesn't exactly ooze sexiness.
Raga, Race, Pro then Econo.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #35
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 817
Bluhduh

Some of you may be old enough to remember what phonograph records sounded like when they reached the end.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #36
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
No kidding. I need to take care of it!!
I am so glad that there isn't a econo version of the EVO out there. That would really suck.

BTW, the 2014 Beta is not just a 2013 with new stickers. The 2013 had some big changes and the 2014 has even more.

Some Beta

http://www.todotrial.com/en/test/new...-evo-2014.html

They are not just sittin on their laurels of building the best trials bikes out there!

I wonder are the changes made to trials bikes more related to marketing than improved function? Seems to me that if the advertising BS related to trials machines was true, the bikes would almost ride themselves......................
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #37
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I wonder are the changes made to trials bikes more related to marketing than improved function? Seems to me that if the advertising BS related to trials machines was true, the bikes would almost ride themselves......................
They actually do!

I was at a section this year and two of our champs were talking about a big up.
One of them said,"the bike will go up it, we just need to figure out how to stay on"
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #38
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Some of you may be old enough to remember what phonograph records sounded like when they reached the end.
You asked for honest opinions.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #39
Mr. BigWheel
b00b

Oddometer: 720
What is a phonograph?

Just to add my two cents: We bought a pair of 280 Eco(no)s this year from Adrian. They are identical. There are no parts that are different on one from the other.

We beat them to death this whole year practicing for Endurocross. (There is no competitive trials riding in AK) Endurocross might even be more violent and abusive than trials riding.

Other than a perpetually leaking fork seal on one bike, there have been no issues with either one.

Perhaps the initial Econos were Bitsa Bikes. I think that they have evolved beyond that.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #40
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
What is a phonograph?

Just to add my two cents: We bought a pair of 280 Eco(no)s this year from Adrian. They are identical. There are no parts that are different on one from the other.

We beat them to death this whole year practicing for Endurocross. (There is no competitive trials riding in AK) Endurocross might even be more violent and abusive than trials riding.

Other than a perpetually leaking fork seal on one bike, there have been no issues with either one.

Perhaps the initial Econos were Bitsa Bikes. I think that they have evolved beyond that.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Thanks BigWheel! Real world, practical feedback is golden! Riding a trials bike fast on rough terrain is just about as abusive as an application can be.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #41
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
You asked for honest opinions.
Not you, Gordy! Honest opinions, yes, always!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #42
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post

Ditto on the pair I picked up last week from Motoventures. I had to put a sticker on the number plate just to be able to tell which one was mine without having to check the VIN.

Had a couple rides so far on some good rocky, steppy slopes close to the house. Amazing how much my confidence has come up for climbs and descents since I've had a chance to develop some control feel. Still a little intimidated by individual rocks of any appreciable size, though...

Its an awesome bike, but then again the only other trials bike I've ridden was a 2006 (i think) TXT rental in a class from MV.

Now i just wish i had a backyard of any size to put together something like a few of you have laid out in yours.
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #43
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 657
So I've been through this thread a few times already and the whole Trials forum for the past 1.5 - 2 years and am finally ready to plunk down the money on a new bike. Was looking at the Beta 300ss for sale on here and then some Sherco's on other sites, but after talking to Adrian at Lewissport he said that Sherco's were bottom of the barrel in quality compared to a close second with Beta and Gasgas being the best in quality and parts availability. He then continued to say that the best bang for the buck is the '13 GG Eco right now. Everything I've read is that you should be able to get the best bike you can afford, but saving $1500 would be nice between the 300ss and a new GG Eco. I guess my question is, will I be disappointed with the Eco down the road once things start falling into place and I get better? I've ridden an '03 GG 280 in my friends backyard setup and have ridden dirt bikes/street bikes for a long time with enduros/supermoto racing mixed in. I'm guessing I won't be disappointed, but if the only thing different (so to say) is the forks/shocks from the other models, those could be upgraded and I'd basically have a GG Pro with some minor differences, right? Just trying to make the right decision from the start. Plan on joining a club which is a few hours away and eventually doing some competitions to improve, but that's down the road and my riding will primarily be at a local riding area and backyard set-ups. Words of advice...?
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #44
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Right now there are some good buys on the used market. If you know you like GG's - then you may want to see if you can get the price down alittle bit on this bike on the jackscycles website - posted this weekend.(2013 300 race)

http://www.jackscycles.com/used.html

I saw this bike at our last event and its in excellent shape and setup by a meticulous rider who has the bike working perfectly. In fact he said its the best bike hes ever had (and he wasnt trying to sell me the bike) and was worried his next one wont be as good.

It may be too soon to hammer alot off the price, but I think this bike is easily worth $500 over a new Eco IMHO.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #45
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
[QUOTE=MItrnsplnt;22711338]So I've been through this thread a few times already and the whole Trials forum for the past 1.5 - 2 years and am finally ready to plunk down the money on a new bike.Sherco's were bottom of the barrel in quality compared to a close second with Beta and Gasgas being the best in quality and parts availability. He then continued to say that the best bang for the buck is the '13 GG Eco right now.{QUOTE}
Wow Really? I`m not a Sherco fan, but all the bikes are pretty close. Just first impressions the Gasser rides the best. Why? It has the most power, light weight and just feels more fun. The Beta does turn and track better. The Sherco does everything well , but just riding it does it no justice. Why? Because it is a very neutral bike, which is what you need for trials.
PS. At one time Gas Gas did have the best parts availability. Not so much any more. You are not saving money buying an ECO. If you want to save money, buy the cleanest 2011 no matter the brand and talk them down.
Honestly for a first bike the Beta or Sherco would work well. The GASSER really does work better for an experienced rider that`s also mechanical minded. Also remember I am not trying to sell you a bike!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote