User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The Road to Rally in the Gorge 2013

Hello ADVRiders. My name is wiley.coyote & I'm a motorcycle road trip addict.

I was told that maybe y'all would appreciate the stories I've been posting on a local motorcycle forum that me & a few friends run here in Oregon. You see, over the past few years I had taken a few multi-day trips, but each of them was a day's ride to the destination, hang out there for a few days & a day's ride back. A trip to the Reno Air races in 2010 was my first. The next two in 2011 & 2012 were trips to Seattle for work (I work from home in Oregon for a company in Seattle). It wasn't until this summer that I had taken a multi-day trip where I was on the bike for hundreds of miles a day, many days in a row. Immediately I was hooked. I typically like to stick to the twistiest roads, the ones most suited for sport riding. What I found on the week long trips wasn't necessarily the twistiest, but there was a lot more to enjoy about being out on the road with the mistress for days on end.

My posts tend to be a bit verbose, so bear with me. I'll be posting these in installments, one post per day of the trip. So without further ado, I present to you my very first of hopefully many ADVRider ride reports.

Day #1

Preparations for my first multi-day motorcycle tour began with scheduled maintenance on Trinity (My 2009 Triumph Daytona 675). That didn't go so well (having bent valves due to a stupid mistake involving a cam chain tensioner), so I spent the next 2 weeks or so preparing Grace (My 2001 Triumph Sprint RS), as Trinity was out of commission for now. You see...when I bought Trinity 3 years ago, I regrettably ignored Grace like a red-headed step child. Not only had I only been putting about 5,000 miles a year on her, I had also ignored routine maintenance items for WAY too long. With new fork oil, some suspension adjustments, new wheel bearings & brake pads...finally, just in time...I had Grace loaded up & ready to depart.

After a good night's sleep, a 2 mile walk in the morning & some final packing of various little items, Grace & I were ready to hit the road. My buddy, Spincycle met me at my house bright & early.

He & I rode up to Sweet Home, OR to meet another buddy, Slodave, at the Foster Lake view point to start our adventure. For being the end of July, it sure was COLD. Only in the Pacific Northwest do you have to use your grip heaters in July & August.

From there we headed over US 20 over to my parents' house in Crook County for lunch. Lunch was great...I really should've taken pictures, but I was so hungry. All I could think of was food. After lunch & a quick visit with the family, we headed out. We stopped in Prineville, OR for some fuel & then headed out US 26 toward John Day, OR. Just past Mitchell, OR is a shoe tree that Spincycle has been wanting to stop at for a while, so we did. I even got a picture of him tossing a pair into it.

Dave wanted to stop in the canyon on the south end of the John Day Fossil Beds, so we did. We got a few pictures...

...and we're back on our way. I ended up stopping not much further because I've always enjoyed going the other direction & seeing the canyon approaching. I wanted to finally get a picture in front of it.

From there we headed into John Day for fuel, a snack, something to drink & short break. After John Day, we headed onward toward Boise, ID. We never, ever, ever exceeded 55 MPH for this leg of the trip. Not even for a short distance...let alone for long periods of time. No sir. We didn't do anything of that sort.

It was also this leg of the trip that we ran into some road construction & had to stop for about 10 minutes to wait for the pilot car to come back & start taking vehicles our direction. The flagger was pretty friendly & visited with us for a while. She explained that the road was pretty dusty for the next two or three miles. Man...she was right. Following the pilot dump truck was no easy feat. I was even trying to hold my hand under the front of my helmet to try & keep the dust out so it didn't get into my eyes. This wasn't your normal dust either. It was like talcum powder. The wash job on Grace didn't even last for a single ride. THIS is why I don't feel like washing my bikes is very important. She was covered in this stuff.

Upon arriving at the hotel in Boise, it was clear that we had all had a really good day & were pretty much exhausted. I clocked 490 miles, my longest day on the motorcycle yet. This was already starting to be my best trip to date.

After dinner with Spincycle's daughter and some beer & conversation back at the room, we called it a day. Stay tuned for more.

Day #1 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3004670

wiley.coyote screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 02:11 PM
wiley.coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,803
Good start Wiley. Looks like you ARE taking the long road to the Gorge indeed.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Good start Wiley. Looks like you ARE taking the long road to the Gorge indeed.
Thanks Scott. And I dunno, I thought this was the ONLY way to get there.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

I'm feeling generous today & since I really don't want to figure out why this particular version of the PHP source code won't compile into my build of Apache, you're getting another post.

Day #2

Day 2 started out pretty uneventful. We headed out of Boise, meandering around between small towns in the plains & valleys of Western Idaho. I say it was pretty uneventful, because where we were headed...these plains & valleys just didn't compare. If you've never been to Hells Canyon on the Snake River, you are definitely missing out. This is one of the times that I wish I had been more apt to use my GoPro. I just didn't want to take the time to fool around with it & wanted to spend my time riding instead. After hitting the first section of curves up to Brownlee Dam, we finally stopped for a breather. Good thing too. It was miles & miles of 20 & 25 MPH tricky corners on the canyon walls. You really had to be on your toes through there. This is Brownlee Dam.

After a short stop & drink of water, we continued on into Oregon toward Oxbow Dam. The Oregon side isn't nearly as interesting, and as such, I don't have any pictures of it. Once we passed Oxbow Dam & headed back over to the Idaho side, we ended up stopping a few miles up for another break. The scenery was just too beautiful not to stop & record the moment.

After a bit longer of a stop, we continued up toward Hells Canyon Dam & the end of the road. At the end of this fantastic road is the last dam & a nice view of the river in it's natural state.

While sitting there on top of the dam, we see a parade of cruisers slowly making their way up the road below from the visitors center. Don't get me wrong, cruisers have their own ride & I have mine, but I don't think I've ever seen 3 guys don their helmets & gloves so fast. We were able to get going just in time to be in front of them & we headed back up to Oxbow Dam. That run back has to be one of the best runs of the week. Slodave was in the lead, I was following close behind & Spincycle was behind me. Something happened & we all just hit this incredible rhythm. When we got to the end I had to get off my bike & go high five not-so-Slodave. We took a short breather (waiting an additional 10 or 12 minutes for the cruisers to catch up) & then headed on to Halfway, OR where we got lunch.

After lunch Slodave pulled out the map & started discussing with Spincycle the various options for getting to Ukiah, OR, our last stop for the day. Suddenly I hear Dave say, "Hey Wiley...you should vote on this. We have a couple of options here for getting to Ukiah. Which way would you like to go?" I tell him it's a no brainer & point to a road...FS 73. "It's the squiggliest." So that's where we headed. Ok, so...it took a GPS & two maps to confirm the GPS, but eventually we made it to FS 73. And man, was I glad we did. It was like Alsea Falls (one of our favorites in our home area)...only better pavement, wider lanes, about 10 miles longer & a center line. This is the view from one of the pullouts on the way up.

FS 73 led us to FS 52. FS 52 wasn't as twisty, but it was more open. It consisted more of high speed sweepers. It was like a damned race track up there. I was so tempted to go faster than I should, but I behaved myself. Good thing too, it gave me a chance to look around a bit. Man...am I glad I did.

We end up in Ukiah a little later than I think we had planned, but Louise had left the keys in our cabin & let us just take care of everything in the morning. Off to the bar!

See how blurry they all are? Yeah, that's pretty much how they looked to me. The people in Ukiah are all pretty damned friendly & I think the Thicket is the only place to hang out, so I had myself a pretty good time. Dave left right after eating. Spincycle tried to drag me home after a couple of beers. I planned on enjoying my stay in the great metropolis of Ukiah. Boy did I. This pretty much concludes Day #2...at least what I remember of it.

Day #2 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3004723

Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day #3

Ok, I've successfully wasted an entire day on this site reading other ride reports. How do y'all get any work done? Oh well, I may as well put up another post. This day is toast.

Day #3

Slodave & Spincycle had a pretty good laugh after waking me up in the morning. It's a good thing they woke me up too. I'm pretty sure it was imperative that I get something to eat & some coffee. I had clearly overdone it the night before.

Speaking of how friendly the people are, we asked the manager of the bar what the population of Ukiah is. His first reaction was to ask, "Do you want to count the rabbits?" We all chuckled. The next morning, I see why he asked. There are all kinds of wild rabbits roaming the town.

While a little pricey, the cabins are really great. They're cozy, comfortable & simple. I plan on going back sometime. Maybe even stay there for a long weekend & check out some of the other roads around there.

After breakfast & settling up on the rooms, we headed toward Stevenson, WA. Somewhere along OR 206 (I think) we came across these. It's really hard to appreciate the size of one of them until you're nearly right next to it.

Eating lunch in Wasco, OR, I was finally able to stomach a decent amount of food & I pounded down 4 glasses of ice water. Suddenly, I started to feel better. After lunch, we hit US 97 & head up to Biggs Junction, OR where we cross the Columbia River into Washington & catch SR 14 to Stevenson, WA. After a little while, two other buddies (RickRick & nvoelsch) show up. We all setup camp & head to Walking Man Brewery for some food & beverage. After dinner we head to the store for some provisions, head back to camp & hang out until nearly midnight. Yep, another long night. And this pretty much concludes Day #3. We made it to the rally & I had already done over 1,000 miles before arriving. This was an awesome start to an amazing week.

Day #3 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3004745

Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day #4

Thursday was pretty uneventful. RickRick & nvoelsch showed the rest of us around the area. When we stopped at Big Jim's Drive In in The Dalles, I said sarcastically, "you know, I can't for the life of me, figure out why they have all those damned wind mills up & down the Gorge." I've ridden in pretty strong cross winds, but I'm pretty sure I've never been in anything quite that bad. Particularly coming down Centerville Road toward the bridge at The Dalles. It was a beautiful road with plenty of really nice corners, but the entire way down, it felt like I was riding on ice.

After lunch, we had planned on going up to Rowena Crest to enjoy the road that so many car commercials are filmed on, but the wind was just too bad. We decided today wasn't the day & instead went around Mt. Hood enjoying some of the lovely, bumpy roads there. The configuration of these roads was awesome, but they felt pretty washboardy. There's nothing like going into a corner with your tires skipping on the pavement to make you really think about your riding.

Then we went in search for cherries.

After cherries, we made our way back to camp, got changed into our street clothes & headed back to Walking Man Brew Pub...pretty much the same as the night before. We ate, drank, got provisions at the store & hung out at camp for a while. This time we were in bed at a decent time. I was tired of not feeling 100% in the morning. Besides, tomorrow is then Fun Run...and I wanted to have lots of fun. Not really much Rally on the first day of the rally, but it's almost more fun to go off & do your own thing.

Day #4 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3032038

Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day #5

Friday had arrived & with it, the Fun Run. This was the only Rally ride that we did all week & I'm glad we did. At 9:40 AM, they started handing out maps & people started to get geared up & head out to the first check point. RickRick & I had the great idea of mapping the ride out on RideWithGPS & using one of our phones to navigate us via voice commands. This is the only time I pulled my laptop out. I sat down for about 30 minutes to map the ride out, get it copied to my phone & help RickRick copy it to his phone. We finally get it working & he's getting directions. Quite a bit later than everyone else, we head out. Somewhere along the way, RWGPS had us make a wrong turn & surprisingly when we got off course, it didn't tell us. Finally RickRick realizes that we're probably headed the wrong direction, so we turn around & head back. We get back on course & up the road a bit, RickRick loses confidence in the GPS again, so we pull over on the side of the road to consult the cue sheet handed to us by the Rally officials. Deciding that we're still on track, we continue on. This time I take the lead. Not because RickRick was doing a bad job, he was just following the directions I had entered, but because I was actually having a pretty good time just going off the cue sheet. It's not something I've ever had to do. Finally we reach the 1st check point. They've already closed. Well shit...let's go to the second. We've likely lost out on winning, but we can at least see what the route looks like. So I continue on in the lead & keep going. The route they mapped out for us took us on some very twisty roads & by some very nice scenery. I think that was a ploy to test your commitment to your score. Well, we had pretty much written off doing very well in the score department, so we stopped to take a look around.

Surprisingly, we made it to Checkpoint #2 just as they were getting ready to pack up. They cracked a couple jokes about us being too late, so we crack some back about making it to Checkpoint #1 late & they say, "Hey...this guy here is Checkpoint #1...get your chip." Hell yeah, now we're back on the board. The only problem...we're already hitting the checkpoints right before they close so we need to get our move on. Checkpoint #3...same story. Those guys were about to gear up to leave, but we made it in the nick of time.

Ok, 3 checkpoints down, it's time for lunch. We decide (actually I decide...it's the great thing about leading) that we're going to eat at a Mexican restaurant in Bingen. While eating lunch, a woman attending the Rally starts asking us how we're doing reading the directions & complaining about how they're a bit confusing. RickRick invites her to ride with us, so we all finish up lunch & gear up. Since we're now riding with someone we don't know, we decide to declare a sweep rider. Off to Checkpoint #4. It's on Courtney Road that I realize that this woman definitely has some skill. She was right behind me the whole time & I wasn't dilly dallying around. This woman could RIDE. Later on we find out that she works for an online moto magazine in Canadia. She had ridden down with a friend of hers to write about the Rally. We arrive at Checkpoint #4 with time to spare (it's about time). After getting our chips & recording our scores we take off for Checkpoint #5. This is when the real excitement happens. We head up Snowden Road at a pretty good clip & past not one, but two county mounties. I'm still dumbfounded at how we didn't get at least a stern talking to. We arrive at Checkpoint #5 about 35 minutes before it was scheduled to close. Turns out, they closed 5 minutes later. We're guessing maybe they had a tally of all the people doing the Fun Run & we were the last to show up. It wouldn't surprise me. Now that we finally had some breathing room, we decided to hang out for a few minutes and discussed finishing the route back to Stevenson. As we headed back down Snowden Road, we see ANOTHER LEO. Fortunately we saw him in the middle of a 25 MPH corner...I was going right at the speed limit. I'm glad we decided to finish the route. The speed limits were pretty low for any real fun, but the views were amazing.

I'm pretty sure you can guess what we did when we got back to Stevenson. That's right...we didn't even attend the Fun Run awards. We headed back to Walking Man Brew Pub.

Today was one of the most fun days I'd had on this trip. The whole day felt like the Cannonball Run & the roads were amazing.

Day #5 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3032085

Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day #6

So here we are, the last full day of the Rally. We started the day off with a catered breakfast. Ok, it wasn't much of a breakfast, but it was at least some coffee, orange juice, fruit, sausage/bacon & a boiled egg. Come to think of it, it hardly qualified as "catered." This is what The Hungarian & I should've done for our wedding. I think at that point we wouldn't still be paying on the damn thing.

After breakfast, we head out to see some new sights. I had never really ridden or even toured the area, so there was a lot to show me. First, we started with Multnomah Falls. Man, they're pretty spectacular. I'm glad we went. If you look real close, you can see Slodave waving his arm at us from the middle of the bridge.

From there, we headed up to Vista House for some more views of the Columbia River. On the way there, the left speaker of my G9 cuts out & I'm left with only the right for the duration of the trip.

After Vista house, we continue up Larch Mountain, arriving at Sherrard Point. I've always heard Slodave talk about how he's not a fan of hiking & climbing steps, but he was a real trooper. It was a bit of a hike before getting TO the steps & then 123 steps up to the top. I'm glad he made the hike though, because this is what we were greeted with.

Next up...Rowena Crest. Apparently this road is used in a number of car commercials. I can see why. It was quite a bit of fun & I can't wait to go ride it again. It was worth waiting for a less windy day.

Last stop of the day...Stonehenge. No, not THE Stonehenge, but the one constructed by Sam Hill to honor the Klickitat County soldiers killed in WWI.

Guess where we went after that. Yep...Walking Man Brewery. This place was really terrible. Their German Style Smoked Sausages were the wurst. Their beer was repulsive. It's a wonder how they stay in business. Especially when riders skip the provided catered dinner to go get more beer & sausage.

Day #6 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3032184

Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
gorge

hey, did this rally too !

good times eh .... I took a rather more direct route - ha! - but enjoyed Stonehenge, Rowena Curves, the great views from Vista House and some of the curvy roads .... great time was had by all eh ?

the 'catarered food' wasn't all that bad (it was free sort of) and now that you told me the Brats and Beer weren't all that great I feel even better

(a Canuck)
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Yeah, we had a really good time. It being my first multi-day trip made it even better for me in particular. So good that while on this trip I was complaining that Spincycle was going to leave me hanging for the Northern California Tour we had planned & that I probably wouldn't be able to go. I've been trying to make that tour for 3 years & something always comes up. So anyway, when I'm complaining about it, Rick pipes up that he thinks it'd be fun & he'd go with me if I still wanted to do it. So we did...ride report pending. I'll put it up after I'm done with this one. One more post here & then I'll start the next one.

Dude, I couldn't stay away from the brats & beer. The best part was that it was so close. Only a couple of blocks from the fairgrounds. An easy walk there, a bit more difficult on the way back.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day #7

Sunday arrives & I don't want to leave. Unfortunately I have to, because real life is calling. After breakfast at The Venus Café we take off from Stevenson for the last time. We decide to take US 35 around Mt. Hood. I'm glad we did...I had been trying to get a good picture of it all week.

Again, this is one of those pretty uneventful days. We end up taking FS 42 to FS 46 into Detroit, OR for lunch. At lunch I'm doing some calculations in my head & realizing that my goal of 2,000 miles is actually within reach. I start getting a bit excited. From there we take OR 22 to US 20 into Sweet Home, OR. Traffic was stacked up from Detroit all the way into Sweet Home.

As we're rolling into Sweet Home I call up Rick on the intercom, "Hey man...I'm pretty sure I'm going to be short of 2,000 miles." We discuss it a bit & I finally tell him that I'm taking the "scenic" way home & will be going PAST Sweet Home & over Alsea Falls. Fortunately, when I say things like this to Rick, he doesn't think I'm crazy. Instead he offers to go over it with me. We actually have a pretty good run over Alsea Mountain & Alsea Falls considering how late it was & how tired we were. We split ways at Alpine, OR & I head home. Finally around 19:00 I pull up to the house. My dog, Luke is barking like crazy from inside the house. I guess he was pretty happy to see me after my week long absence. The Hungarian (my wife) was pretty happy to see me as well. Come to think of it, I was pretty happy to see them too.

It's really unfortunate that it didn't come out in the picture, but Grace is still covered in dust & dirt. I found it amusing that all the dirt bikers were using the bike wash at the Rally & I opted to let the dirt & dust tell a story.

There you have it, my first multi-day touring trip. 2,061 miles of nothing but smiles. Spincycle was right...this is REALLY addicting. At this point, I was really looking forward to my Northern California Tour with Rick in a month (ride report coming soon).

Day #7 Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3032616

Old 10-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Ride report; the clift notes

Dude! you are doing it wrong: first you need to chum the waters, then you set the hook, once you have some bites... you keep reeling them in slowly...

All kidding aside; great ride report! thank you for sharing it.

Sporttour screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 11:24 PM Reason: fat fingers
Sporttour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Next year you should go with us!