Oddometer: 300
Those are looking awesome!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #407
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
From what I have seen in the colour for dirt I think that the Grey will hold the colour of the dirt and the Black or Orange / Black doesn't seem to show or hold the dirt colour ???
Tezza

Hmmm my black luggage seems to hold dirt pretty well.

I do notice that certain materials hold dirt more than others. For example the Truckers Tarp material used on the Giant Loop bags seems to shed mud and come clean quite easy due to it's slick exterior. Whereas Cordura and other rough textiles such as on the my Kriega Overlander bags seem to hold onto dirt pretty well.

Food for thought.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #408
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I am finding this process to be very fascinating. It will be cool to own these bags and have a much better idea of just what went into their creation. I'll make do with bungees and garbage bags until you get these ready to sell.
Ha! Bungees and garbage bags. Awesome.
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #409
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Black might be boring and for old people but us boring old people have money to spend.

I too like the black because it goes with anything. I wouldn't buy orange for my bike, I might buy yellow but would prefer black, green was mentioned once and that wouldn't be my first choice either. The gray in the samples look terrific and if you chose not to go with the boring old people black that would be a good option.

I've been watching this thread as I want new side bags for my DR200, something a little bigger than what I have on it now but not too big. You mentioned 15L being a little too small in the finished product. Could you tell me what the dimensions are and will they be available? Maybe I should ask what will be available since you are still working out a lot of your details.

Thanks for sharing your travels, the steps you are taking and the progress you are making. I'm looking forward to seeing you product in real life.
Hi Ladybug. Appreciate the feedback! I don't have the dimensions of the small pannier here with me unfortunately, but they are about to change significantly in this next round of revisions. They should be available in the June timeframe. We were saying May before, now we're pushing it back to June to be safe. Trying not to rush things too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Scuze me, I seem to have wandered into some fashionista board that caters to motorcyclists . . . can someone point me to the grungy dirt bag thread, please?

;-}
grungy dirtbags welcome on this thread :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
For the orange and black crowd, its going to be hard to beat orange and black. I can tell from all the comments that we are going to need multiple color options as soon as we have the volume to justify it with the factory.

There's a production component to the color choice, in terms of what fabrics we can actually get in time for the summer riding season. Bottom line is that if a) we can wait 120 days for our shipment and b) we order 1,000+ pieces per style, then we can get any color we want. But if we want our bags in stock sooner, or we can't order that many at a time, then we have a much smaller selection to work with. Black is the most available color in any fabric, with the shortest lead time.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #410
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

I do notice that certain materials hold dirt more than others. For example the Truckers Tarp material used on the Giant Loop bags seems to shed mud and come clean quite easy due to it's slick exterior. Whereas Cordura and other rough textiles such as on the my Kriega Overlander bags seem to hold onto dirt pretty well.

Food for thought.
orange and black covered in mud, is an awesome color. we need to get you some bags for testing.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #411
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 270
Eek Requote???

I see what you are thinking that they do Hold Dirt .
I was trying ( yes very trying ??) to indicate that the dirt stains the Grey more than the Orange or Black .?????
I think that's what I meant .
Nice examples though .
Tezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Food for thought.
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #412
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
There's a production component to the color choice, in terms of what fabrics we can actually get in time for the summer riding season. Bottom line is that if a) we can wait 120 days for our shipment and b) we order 1,000+ pieces per style, then we can get any color we want. But if we want our bags in stock sooner, or we can't order that many at a time, then we have a much smaller selection to work with. Black is the most available color in any fabric, with the shortest lead time.
And black, all black would be my choice.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 AM   #413
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
orange and black covered in mud, is an awesome color. we need to get you some bags for testing.
Can't wait to see what you boys come up with in the final production and run them through the jungles over here. What are you thinking in terms of affixing the rackless bags to the bike?

One thing my friends and I have noticed is that the wide, thick support structure that Giantloop uses for the base of their Coyote, Mojave, and Great Basin provide a very durable support structure with which to hang the luggage from the bike. I've used them for 5 years without reliability issues. In contrast my Kriega Overlander bags utilized one inch webbing straps which no doubt have the strength to hold the weight, however their minimal surface area of the one inch webbing put stresses onto the luggage and mounts. You can see in the pic below whilst the one inch webbing can hold the load, the one inch surface area of where the strap is mounted to the bags receive an enormous amount of stress.

The stress from repeated jolts off road to the mounts ended up with one of my mounts tearing out from the bag itself.

Something maybe to keep in mind when coming up with a method of attaching your rackless system to the bike.

Glad you're having fun and making progress in Vietnam. Enjoy the food!!
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #414
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Black will be the easiest to get going and the best selling so that's the logical first step. Still. I'll wait patiently for a grey set.

Sent from my leash
Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #415
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 931
I want one just like you have it with the black and orange. Great job guys.....

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #416
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,391
I'm all...

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #417
Three Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Hope I don't seem like I'm teaching aged relatives how to suck eggs, but I do think that you're gonna have to load those bags up with more crap than you, as an experienced overlander, would take on a trip (safe weight limit +50% if some of the rigs I've seen is anything to go by), and then ride hard hard hard to see if you can break them. Because they will be overloaded by *some* of your customers.

I'd also find an old scrapper (must be plenty of KLR650s around), load up the bags and maybe chuck the lot off the back of a pickup truck at 30mph to see what happens. And then do it again cos some of us (ahem) fall off quite a lot.
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #418
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
I'd also find an old scrapper (must be plenty of KLR650s around), load up the bags and maybe chuck the lot off the back of a pickup truck at 30mph to see what happens. And then do it again cos some of us (ahem) fall off quite a lot.
I believe I read a while back that a crash test/demo was in the works.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #419
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,679
And if there's not video, I'm going to assume that it never happened.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #420
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
Hope I don't seem like I'm teaching aged relatives how to suck eggs, but I do think that you're gonna have to load those bags up with more crap than you, as an experienced overlander, would take on a trip (safe weight limit +50% if some of the rigs I've seen is anything to go by), and then ride hard hard hard to see if you can break them. Because they will be overloaded by *some* of your customers.

A crash test is in the works. We just found a bike at a pdx junkyard last week. Will post some pics, and of course some video when we do the test. Sounds like fun :)