Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 253
Lots of good ides here but IMO perhaps you are thinking to hard.

Currently I am working on my own new softbags bags.

Take a look at how the old Med. Alice pack mounts to its frame.
Also check out the Gossamer Gear G-4 pack and how the "frame"
mounts to it.

IMO a real plus for a softpack would be removable shoulder straps.

Currently I am using my old packer panniers I used with my 4legged
horse.

Cinching down, reducing pack volume is easy think how your shoes lace
and just add a few open rings to an outside seam as backpacks do, pull one
cord, done.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Thanks for this detailed review! Much appreciated. Especially the suggestions of:

- More external storage
- Velcro on the opening

Any other areas we could improve on with these?
Velcro bad, I hate velcro, it catches on everything and ends up ripping it or scratching your hands, which, in the winter time, can be painful.

If you will utilize velro, have it in a place where it would not come into contact with the items stored in the bag or your hands.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #48
01001010 01000011
AKA-JC

Oddometer: 253
Hate zippers, they get full of mud and fail.
01001010 01000011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #49
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,737
Just a thought, I know there are a few guys on here who make custom racks too (I am waiting to order a set of the Jackpiner57 racks for my DRZE). Have you thought about collaborating directly with one of them in order to possibly market your bags as a kit with racks specifically designed for the bags and the quick release system you come up with?

JackPiner makes some awesome stuff, I really like his because he has racks specifically for the DRZE model (no need for an s-model subframe in order to carry luggage) but his stuff is a little more limited in application, I think he only makes it for the DRZ, DR and KLR. But I have seen in the vendors forum there are guys who market racks for any application.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post

So, another suggestion for the brain pool: How many owners of any bag, any at all, that have to give a wonder of what to do with all the extra strap lengths that are left over. You can go the clip route like Wolfman for a clean look, but it's sometimes a pain, especially if it's cold, rainy and you're wearing say, motorcycle gloves to try to slide all 4 cinch straps in those little slide clips... Why couldn't there be a patch of Industrial Velcro or Velcro Dual-Lock sewn to the end of the straps and then a few strategic Velcro patches added to the bag so when you are loading all your gear in the rain, you can zip... zip the cincher straps and then just stick it to the side of the bag and never worry about them flapping in the breeze?

You could test the mud retention of the velcros to see what would work best where.
Velcro wouldn't really last.

C clips on the ends of the straps clipped to the original strap. In addition a rectangular clip towards the front, near the buckle which you would then slide back towards the rear would stop any loose straps from flapping.

Pretty much a combo of the Ortlieb c clip system and the standard strap keeper system.

I personally use web dominators.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #51
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
+1 on no Velcro. I'd does not last and clogs up easily with dirt and mud making it useless.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #52
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
+1 on no Velcro. I'd does not last and clogs up easily with dirt and mud making it useless.
So, what about the Dual lock? Are you familiar with it? There is no fuzzy stuff and has a very strong hold. The idea was something easy enough to do with mittens on.

I agree the fuzzy velcro can get clogged, but my limited experience would suggest the Dual Lock variety.

https://www.google.com/search?q=velc...w=1536&bih=872
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #53
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

I personally use web dominators.
You must be a military guy. I've never seen those in any local stores. They are a little better than the clips they are replacing because you can fold up the excess, if there is a lot.

I think there is a lot to the modular military designs which have been field tested. I just don't know much about it. Can you link some pictures to what you're talking about?

Velcro is also a cost reducer, although some of those clips, even the pinch clips can be had in bulk for about a nickel a piece.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #54
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,685
And pull out a screw driver everytime you access? No thanks. Keeping extraneous straps to a minimum is great and your original idea is great other than the velcro. I Really think the Wolfman system is the best compromise for dealing with straps to a rack. It's very clean, secure and leaves nothing dangling.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #55
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
So, what about the Dual lock? Are you familiar with it? There is no fuzzy stuff and has a very strong hold. The idea was something easy enough to do with mittens on.

I agree the fuzzy velcro can get clogged, but my limited experience would suggest the Dual Lock variety.

https://www.google.com/search?q=velc...w=1536&bih=872
I've never seen dual lock used on fabric before.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #56
btao
Pwned

Quote:
I've seen it once. It works best on flat to flat because it actually snaps together. It's cool stuff. You can't just throw it at it and have it stick though, you need to press them together. So, it would be best against a firm backing.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #57
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
And pull out a screw driver everytime you access? No thanks. Keeping extraneous straps to a minimum is great and your original idea is great other than the velcro. I Really think the Wolfman system is the best compromise for dealing with straps to a rack. It's very clean, secure and leaves nothing dangling.
I agree. The wolfman system is hard to beat. I'm nitpicking with the danglies. With Wolfman's hard backing the dual lock would work.

Really, it should just be designed to eliminate excess....
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #58
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
You must be a military guy. I've never seen those in any local stores. They are a little better than the clips they are replacing because you can fold up the excess, if there is a lot.

I think there is a lot to the modular military designs which have been field tested. I just don't know much about it. Can you link some pictures to what you're talking about?

Velcro is also a cost reducer, although some of those clips, even the pinch clips can be had in bulk for about a nickel a piece.
Velcro may be an initial cost reducer yes, but once it wears out, and on an off road machine is fairly quickly, you're screwed unless you have a sewing machine.

I mainly use the web dominators to store rok straps neatly in a tank or saddlebags or when carrying a small load and taking up slack.

Here is a pic of a web dominator and how to use it, but there are dozens of other, cheaper types of clips and buckles to deal with excess webbing.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #59
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Whats the screwdriver for?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #60
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
You'd have to use fabric glue, but even that I can't see lasting. Ever see what happened to the old style method of bonding superfabric to certain jackets? They came off after a few heavy rains.