Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Triumph trouble (Ignition/Starter?)

Hi All,
I'm sidelined this week because of two peculiar and possibly related problems with my '03 Triple:

Problem #1:
I rode it 1000 miles from Charlotte to Wallops Island, VA and back about a month ago (for the big rocket launch!). While hurrying to run a line from the fusebox to the instrument cluster so that I could wire in a GPS, I must have tweaked something electrically. At first it was a successful installation, then it wouldn't start. Then I apparently jiggled something properly and we were ok again. I ended up rewiring it directly to battery leads and bypassing fuses- and then this weird condition occurred: Upon slowing/decelerating somewhat rapidly, the engine just cuts out. It doesn't stall and leave the gauges on, rather its as if I hit the kill switch- the whole bike/display just goes dead. The condition is fixed when I turn the key off and back on and the bike resets. I can do this while driving and recover but it's obviously really irritating. It's also hard to pin down where/why it happens, but most of the time it's during faster than average deceleration I think. I'm not quite sure if clutching and keeping my RPM's high cures it or not- I think it may help.

Problem #2:
Recently- Starting has historically never been a problem with this bike. Suddenly, when I crank the engine it just kind of spins. It's not the same sound as typical, I feel like the engine cranks too easily but doesn't attempt to start. I popp'ed off the crank case cap to check out the gears and engagement and it all seems fine. I can hear through the exhaust that the pistons are moving too- but the overall system just doesn't sound/feel normal. It's hard to describe, so I made this video just now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-kevin
2steelwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Concerning Problem #2:

Did you get a tune-up lately ? Did it involve the valves or spark plugs ?
If not, check to see if the spark plug are seated.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I've actually been working on it a lot today. Still don't have a solution for problem #2, but I think I solved the especially mysterious problem #1:
Turns out I have a "tip over" sensor I didn't even know about and it had broken free of the previous owner's zip-ties. I can't say 100% that that was the problem (due to a remaining problem #2), but it jives with all the symptoms and mystery previously described, and it was resting rather cockeyed instead up aligned upright as intended.

Sooo... there's that. I haven't had a tune up lately, although I was suspicious of the plugs as well. I'm probably going to change plugs and maybe air filter sine I have the tank half-off and everything else disassembled. I haven't actually changed them before but they seem like a serious pain to get to.

Finally- I recently had a problem with water in the tank on my ducati monster. Turns out I had a clogged drain tube within the cap lid. It seems like the triumph had a similar clog, so I wonder if there is also water in that tank. Still... the duc at least ran poorly/occasionally. The triumph currently makes no effort at all.

Anyway- back to work! thanks for any more ideas!
2steelwheels is offline   Reply With Quote