User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
FOCKER OP
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
KTM 450XC Power Distribution Block Plus Security

I scored a new Trail Tech 100W stator off of Amazon for $115 shipped and wanted a centralized power source to tap into for future accessories. I found an inspirational thread on ADVRider but it's a high tech smart phone version not yet ready for sale. I wanted something quick, cheap and within my ability. This was a helpful write up - DIY Block.. I wired in a relay to only supply power to the fused distribution block when the key switch is activated. The bonus with this setup is the Trail Tech Vapor won’t stay lit for 20 minutes after parking anymore. The XC didn’t come factory with a key switch so that was another addition to my bike's wiring.

Parts from Radio Shack...Project box, terminal block and a jumper strip. You can buy this already made from Autozone but it's over $80. This ran me $20 (Only because I bought a milkshake from DQ while I was at the mall).

I split the block in half with the jumpers. The bottom half is positive and the upper is negative.

Mounted on one of the fender bolts for easy access behind the headlight mask...No more running wires to the battery. Make sure you have full turning range before committing to a location like this.

Clean and ready for more accessories. Right now the only thing running through this block is my TT Vapor.

My new keyed on/off switch and custom mount.

Here is the wiring diagram...I'm a freak and installed a hidden kill switch as well. The wires on my bike change color a few times in order to screw with hot wiring attempts. Like I said I'm a freak...Will this stop thugs from stealing my bike? Nope...But at least they can't just kick start it and go. I made a separate diagram than this one in order to help me figure out what I did (If I have to trace wires in the future). This one is for you.
FOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
could you pm me a diagram of the kickstart kill switch? or post a diagram of it?

awesome job though and thanks for sharing the idea.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,360
Nice job!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
FOCKER OP
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
could you pm me a diagram of the kickstart kill switch? or post a diagram of it?

awesome job though and thanks for sharing the idea.
Thanks.
The kickstart kill switch is simply just interrupting the coil from the rest of the wiring harness (As pictured). The draw back is one can crank the starter until you kill the battery unless you shut down all the power like I did with my key switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Nice job!
Thanks...That means a lot coming from you!
FOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote