Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Let's see here,3 years or so drifting like a vagabond,going from continent to continent,this may get interesting.

Subscribed!

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 230
It begins.....

Made it to East Timor or Timor Leste if you prefer on the 10th. Now the journey really begins.

Sorry everyone, but no photos at this stage as I can't seem to get enough speed to the wifi here to upload photos, but will post them when I get to Indonesia and hopefully better speed. Managed to get some up on facebook if you want to check it out.

Very comfortable flight on Air North's new jet and only took about an hour. The fun started when I got to Customs as I was bringing in some parts for a friend in Darwin for one of the dive companies. Taken into the office and given a hard time about bringing in the items and they wanted to know the value. I just did my best impression of not understanding for about 10 minutes until the guy from the dive business arrived and sorted it all out. He needed to pay US$25 which would be way lower than the duty owed and I suspect that went straight into the officials pocket.

Dumped my gear at East Timor Backpackers (US$20 per night for basic aircon room) and went off in search of my bike. First you have to go to Toll Marine which is past Timor Plaza, over the bridge then the second left and then all the way to the end of the road. Should be about $3 taxi ride. Once you have paid your Timor Fees ($50) you then need to go to the port to see Customs. You go back into town on the main road past Timor Backpackers/Tiger Fuel by about a kilometer and you will come to a big market on your left and you will see the Port on your left. Customs office is in through the main gate and the white buildings on your right. Get your Carnet stamped and then back to Toll for more paperwork and then to the onsite Customs guy ( was grumpy with me as he was asleep and I woke him up), bit more paperwork and then at last you are reunited with your bike.

Today the 11th I sorted out a few things I still had to do on the bike and then off for my first real ride of this adventure. Miles and miles of deserted coastline and lots of windy roads following the coast. Water lovely and warm and very inviting on a hot day.

Riding is a bit interesting when you combine pot holes and traffic that is all over the road.

Have almost forgotten where the indicator switches are, but rest assured I can find the horn button. A beep or two indicates you are either stopping, passing on the left or the right, traveling on the wrong side of the road or the worst of all I am heading straight at you...get off the road any way you can.

Managed to get back before the sky's opened up. So all in all an good day as I managed a bit of an explore, a swim and missed the rains.

Will spend tomorrow sorting out the packing of the bike and working out what route I will take to Kupang. I am convinced I still have way to much stuff and will be donating a few things to the locals or posting back to Australia.

Life is an adventure.
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #19
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,138
Good god, what an awesome adventure!

For some reason, the first few posts of yours "grabbed" me more than any other I have read here.

Like someone else said, I'm equally happy for you and jealous!

I was just looking at Indonesia and that part of the planet on my world map yesterday!

Ride well, stay safe, and thanks for the details on the logistics! Very interesting!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Dili catchup day

Spent the day packing and repacking my gear untill I got close to fitting nearly every thing in, but not all. Some donations will be going to the staff at East Timor Backpackers. I sure I will lighten the load as I go, but for now everything I need plus some shit that I'm sure I really dont need are spread over two panniers, one small top box, a drybag and a tankbag.

Had to go into Timor Plaza for a few things and got myself a data card for the Ipad as the wifi here is so slow you really can't load photo. So now I have included a few photo's just to add to the story.

My ticket to Adventure

On the big bird of freedom

East Timor Backpackers and the Pink Suite ($20 with Aircon)

The Yellow Moster visits a few beaches.

The end of the day has is rewards

Could not resist this after coming for an industry obsessed by Health and Safety. This is at the Timor Plaza which is Dili's largest shopping mall which is undergoing expansion.

I will think of a prize for the person who can identify the most breaches of HS&E in the three photos below,

Life is an Adventure.
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,620
Along for the ride! Go...!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Beach Hotel, Bintang Beer and a Bro

Caught up last night with Tony who came to my rescue on day one when I discovered I was geographically chalenged and without phone coverage. Helped me find my way and even sorted out a map to stop me from getting lost yet again.

Tony is in Timor teaching English to adult students including some of East Timors rich and powerful. Prior to East Timor he was working for four years in Cambodia (where he meet his charming wife) and has promised to point me in the right direction as I get closer.

Meet up with Tony and later on his loverly wife at the Dili Beach Hotel, which to my surprise was on the beach.

View out to sea

Normal traffic at 6:30 at night

Enjoyed a few beers with Tony and his wife whilst watching the sun go down, not one of Timors best so no photos.

Spending the day tiding up a few loose ends and will head off in the general direct of Kupang tomorrow as apparently the roads are getting pretty bad due to the wet season. Had planned to be here a month earlier, but I have to adapt to the conditions as I go.

Stinking hot down here at sea level so I looking forward to some elevation and slightly cooler weather.

Life is Adventure.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Subscribed

So in!!!!

Keep it coming.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #24
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Made it to Indonesia, but the wifi sucks

Have tried to download photos of today's ride, but the wifi in my hotel in Atambua sucks big time.

Will try to find better wifi signal tomorrow or purchase a data card.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #25
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Great start! Can't wait to read and see the rest.

Love the Ute as well!
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 327
HS&E violations;

no hand rails
travel restraint system
fall arrest system
step platforms
hard hats
toe boards
no fall emergency access procedures
safety net
no overhead work signs
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by razcob View Post
HS&E violations;

no hand rails
travel restraint system
fall arrest system
step platforms
hard hats
toe boards
no fall emergency access procedures
safety net
no overhead work signs
You are still missing heaps. Lets start with the Welder using his hand as a welding mask. got to good for the eyes.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
razcob
Dromedary

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4d View Post
You are still missing heaps. Lets start with the Welder using his hand as a welding mask. got to good for the eyes.
I just have to have more on my list to win the prize.

My prize can be that you attach a picture of the hottest looking Indonesian woman you can find.
razcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I'm in for your trip. I live in Lethbridge Alberta, Canada and if you're in this area and I'm not out and about on the bike, we can provide you a room and free grub and some Canadian beer.

Canada is a huge country and likely you'll land in the east and travel west. Don't forget ( keep in the back of your mind ) Alaska. So in this country you'll want to try and plan your time table for the period May to Sep. Come the end of Sep you'd want to be in British Columbia heading south into the USA.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

WiFi, Dili to Kupang and Hotels

Back online....well sort of. It has taken me 2 hours to download 4 photos this morning, but I have enough to give you a quick update. After all that I was just reviewing before posting and then it just disappeared, more than a little pissed off.

I left Dili on the 14th to head toward the Indonesian boarder. Amazing coastline, with lots of inshore reefs and what looks like big drop offs in very deep water. Lots of very small boats out fishing the drop offs.

The road was a mixture of one section of new road (maybe 10km) and the rest was really poor road with lots of potholes, dirt, rocks, missing bits, landslides and of course the bus tearing around blind corners straight at you.

Made it to the Balibo turnoff and had to take the journey up into the mountains to pay my respects to the Balibo Five. I October of 1975, five journalist ( 2 Australian, 1 New Zealander and 2 UK) were murdered by the Indonesian Special Forces as the began the Indonesian occupation of East Timor. The house in which the sheltered is now a memorial to the five men.

The view looking back from Balibo.

Made it to the boarder and leaving East Timor was a breeze, it only took about 10 minutes and everyone was friendly and happy. Then you cross the bridge to the Indonesian side and it seems that everyone forgot to take their happy pill that day. Unhelpfully and very slow to say the least, but eventually got the job done and I was glad to get out of there. I loved the questions like "I like your sunglasses. Do you want to give them to me?".

Stayed in Atambua which is not far from the boarder in the Hotel Matahari for about $22. I was OK and came with a decent breakfast which was good as I did not get anything to eat the night before as I was just too tired.

As there is no coverage on my Garmin maps for SE Asia I made notes on a piece of paper from the info off Google Maps. Still managed to get a little lost, but eventually found my way onto the Kupang road. Best way to check that you are on the right road is to be comforted by see one of the Kupang buses either coming at you on the wrong side of the road or trying to overtake you on a blind corner. Roads improve greatly in Indonesia and some great twisty mountain roads although I am finding 80kph is fast here.

Going to move Hotel today as the one I am in is a shithole. Pantai Timor Hotel and what they consider a bathroom. Check the bath and the ceiling.

Have now moved to a new hotel the La Hosienda which I can highly recommend. New, clean, WiFi, good food, great staff. It is not far from the Airport and about a 15 minute ride to the port.

It looks like I might be here for a few days until the ferry to Ende runs again, but I can think of worse places to be.