Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 233
Kupang to Larantuka (well that was the plan)

First up a big thank you to Michael and the crew a the La Hasienda Hotel. My stay could not have been better and everything was perfect. If you are ever in Kupang you really must stay there.

Today is my first experience of the highly organised and efficient Indonesian Ferry system. OK only joking.....absolute bloody shambles.

Got here at 8am as I was told to be here early, but the 12 noon boat is now the 2pm boat and they won't let me purchase a ticket till 1pm. Welcome to the world of hurry up and wait. I have to say I have been keep entertained by the loading and unloading as there is always 3 or 4 ferries in at one time. They call for vehicles to come forward to load only to change there mind as the now want to offload a couple of vehicles from a ferry, then everything has to back up to let them off. I kid you not, but this must have happen 10 times in the space of a couple of hours.

Lots of people getting the ferries as it's so close to Xmas and everyone is returning to the hometown to spend Xmas with the relatives. Not sure where I will be spending Xmas as yet, but I expect I will still be in Flores.

I started writing this report about 8 hours ago and things chance.....not always for the better.

When the ticket booth finally opened up everyone formed a neat line so they could purchase a ticket.....NOT. Had all the discipline of a mob. Everyone rushes the window trying to push their way towards the ticket seller. Well I did my best impression of a hungry Rugby Forward fighting for the ball in a ruck. The guy in front of me was happy as I used my weight to propel him ever closer to the window knowing that if I got him there I was next. It sort of worked, but then heavens opened up before I got there, but I could not back off now and ended up soaked to the skin.

Now the ferry is running about 2 hours late and then they finally call for the hoard of motorcycles to start loading. I got in the pack early, so I had maybe 60 bikes in front of me and a hundred or so behind me. After about an hour I find myself riding down the ferry ramp with about 5 bikes in front of me and then...... one of the Ferry staff steps out and tell us the "FERRY IS FULL".

I am just gutted, I have spent the whole day preparing for the Ferry trip only to be turned back at the last minute. So nothing for it and I am back at the Hotel La Hacienda and trying to make new plans. Unfortunately it looks like I wont get a ferry to anywhere either north or west of Kupang until at least xmas day.

Always said it not an adventure until something F$#ks up. Well now its an adventure.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #32
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

It's beginning to look a lot like Xmas before I leave Kupang

After missing the ferry yesterday by about 5 metres I have been looking at other options.

It looks like there may be a ferry to Ende in Flores on Xmas day. Not my idea of a great way to spend Xmas, but if I can get to Ende it looks like I can the get another ferry to Bali around the New Year. Means I will miss new year in Bali with some friends, but such is life. At least I will be moving north.

The staff here at the Hotel La Hasienda are all getting into the Xmas spirit and wearing there little Santa hats as they work.

See if you can pick out Micheal the big German owner?
Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #33
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Exploring the hills behind Kupang

Now that I am resigned to not getting out of Kupang to Ende until Xmas day I decided I needed to get out on the bike and do a bit of exploring. Headed off into the hills behind Kupang. A mixture of good road, potholes, dirt tracks and mud.

Nice to get a bit of elevation as the temperature drops quickly the higher you climb and riding all the gear all the time can be a bit bloody hot, but I have made the commitment to ride as safe as possible so I just have to suck it up. Unfortunately my gear is taking on the smell of an old moldy sock especially my helmet, but there is not much I can do but dry it out as best I can at the end of the day

A few photos from the day.

Typical road in the hills.

Stopped to take on some water and gained an audience.

View looking over the hills.

For those who wanted to see a Timor Pony...done but very skinny

Heading into a bit of weather

Have meet up today with a couple from Europe riding an old 1200cc Harley Davidson heading the same way as me, so we will team up to tackle the island of Flores. Should make it a bit easier for all of us as I know what's required for the ferry and he can speak some Indonesian.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #34
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

and then it all changed

Just when I thoughtI would be stuck in Kupang I heard a rumour of a ferry so I packed up and went to the terminal. All loaded in about 5 mins, boat ready to go now wait 3 hours. Then the 15 hour trip begins. Is just like Qantas Business Class without a comfortable seat, food and drink service, clean toilets, but plus three times the vessels capacity in customers, roosters, pigs, and every household or personal item you could possible think of. Add in TV on full bore in Indo, multiple phones playing tunes and everyone yelling you might begin to get the picture. No sleep, sore arse, nice sunrise and bumped into a group of Indo guys going the other way. All in all an interesting 24 hours. Now I am waiting for a fellow traveler to arrive on Xmas morning and we will head off to Kelimutu National Park to see the volcano and lakes. Still not sure if I can make Bali for New Years, but I will try if possible.

The ferry to Larantuka

Sunrise coming into Larantuka

Some crazy Indo Bikers. Several on big HD's with road tires. The road to Dili will be interesting for them.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #35
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Its surprising where you'll see Harleys and there is an Australian couple that visited something like 150 + countries around the world on their Harley Electra Glide, belt driven, street tires, so you never know what people are going to do. They put something like 250000 miles on the bike and it still was running with the original transmission when they finished up just a couple of years ago. If I can find their web site again I'll post it, makes for interesting reading.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #36
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Here's a link that will get you to their blog. Very interesting couple.

http://www.mainfreight.com/global/en...verywhere.aspx
Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #37
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Xmas catchup now that I can access the internet again

Xmas day

Dirk arrived in Larantuka this morning on the ferry and after a quick breakfast we decided to ride all the way to Ende as the weather is just nasty. Cloud down to 500 metres and rain like you would not believe. A few photos today from when it was not pissing down.

26th December

That was a very hard day for me. Went to bed last night feeling very sick and got almost no sleep. In the morning I felt even worse and was very weak. But Dirk had to be in Rutang tonight so I took a couple of harden up pills and got on with it. Over 7 hours on the most twisty and steep road you can imagine. Our average speed for the day was only 42km per hour, so that give you an idea just how tough it was. But now in the hotel, hot shower and now warm sweat tea, a early meal and a big sleep and I can only hope to improve by tomorrow morning.

Did not really stop for photos, great vistas, but to ill to care.

27th December

After a much better nights sleep I think I am over the worse of whatever was making me feel so bloody awful. A slow start to the day as Dirk has to organise a new battery charger for his bike and it was only about 3 hours ride to Labuanbajo which is our next stop. Still feeling shitty but it was OK as a knew it wasn't going to be a long. Ended up jumping the lineup at the service station at the insistence of the owner or it would have taken 2 hours of waiting.

Only incident on the way here was that Dirk had one of his saddle bags fail, but I managed to retrieve most of it as I was behind him. Managed to find some nice accommodation complete with AC, fan, hot water and a nice soft bed. Almost brand new so I will be very comfortable. Dirk of course is looking for a ferry to complete his charity ride.

Although the distance we have covered since Xmas is not great, but the roads a so windy and steep that our average moving speed was only 42 kph.

peter4d screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 04:59 AM
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #38
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I hope you feel better soon dude. Take care buddy.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Dragons, reefs, views and beaches (second attempt)

After writing a bit of a story and attaching the pictures I hit review only to loose the lot so here we go again.

Still in Labuan bajo and enjoying this piece of Indonesia. Took a boat yesterday which we ended up sharing with the Canadian Ambassador to Indonesia and his family (really nice people and we enjoyed there company) and went to Rintja Island to check out the Kamodo Dragons, really fearsome looking beasts and they seem to always laying in wait for something or someone to come a bit to close.

Really great day with magnificent views, some great little dives and a few white sandy beaches. Enjoyed the diving so much we may even go again tomorrow depending on the weather.

Finished the day with a great meal and a few beers with a couple of local lads who have been helping use with options on moving onward from here. All in all a great day.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #40
mnshahensah
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked

Hohohoo. Really nice place is it Flores Island? Have been ride there also

If you come to Jakarta do not hesitate to contact me at 081313141491 Naufal

mnshahensah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #41
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Just when you get it figured out.....Indonesia gets you again.

We were all sorted to get on the ferry to Sumbawa last night leaving at midnight. Handed in the keys to our hotel room to the staff, but we did say we might be back if things did not work out.

We are down in the port and our ferry is on the ramp and then moves to the side to allow another ferry to come in and offload. This boat is not due to depart till 9 am the next morning and was expected to swap back with our ferry at 10pm that night so it could continue to load.

Then it happened....I got Indonesianed again. The second ferry refused to move and now the only access to our ferry is via a tight footway with a 90 degree turn we could not possibly make on a big bike. So back to the hotel and then back to the port to catch the ferry that stopped us from boarding our original ferry. Of course this is now a different ferry company and the ticket cost has doubled. But we made the ferry and secured the cooks cabin for an extra 100,000RP so we could have a little lay down on the 7 hour trip.

Arrived in port in a nothing sort of town and rode to the town of Simba and the Marina Hotel. Nice hotel, new, clean, secure, AC and hot water. The owner was having a dinner party for her family and we were invited to join them which was very nice. Will try to see in the new year, but I suspect we will both be sound asleep by midnight.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #42
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 466
Fantastic...you have worked hard for every second.

Ride safe and keep us all posted on your adventures.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnshahensah View Post
Hohohoo. Really nice place is it Flores Island? Have been ride there also

If you come to Jakarta do not hesitate to contact me at 081313141491 Naufal

Will be sure to give you a call as I get closer to Jakarta, would enjoy catching up for a meal and a chat.

Stay safe and happy new year.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Happy New Year

Happy New Year from Indonesia.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #45
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

New Year, New Look

Bit of a nothing day here in Bima, Indonesia.

Dirk now has a plan of attack for Makassar which involves shipping the bike as cargo on an onion boat and then flying in to meet the bike again on the 5th. This will gain him 2 days over the ferry and he is now back on time to complete his charity ride.

The highlight of my day was A$1.20 haircut. Just imagine how good I would look if I splashed out A$5.