User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #46
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 232
Bima to Lombok

It started out as a great plan to leave Bima and head to Lombok. This is Indonesia and I should know by now that nothing really goes to plan.

The idea was to spend the day with views like this.

The reality was that I spent seven hours riding in this....

By the time I got to the ferry terminal in Lombok I was over it, everything was soaked and even my boots ended up full of water. Headed towards Mataram with the aim of getting a Hotel somewhere out of town, but not to be and ended up riding all the way to Mataram where I managed to turn my room into a damp drying room for all my riding gear complete with the odour of damp socks.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #47
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Turns out yesterday was my lucky day

Turns out if I had taken the later ferry I could have been in real trouble. The ferry service I used to get to Lombok had one of its ferries sink in the early hours of this morning. Not sure if it was the same ferry, but it looks like it.

Below is the article from the Jakarta Globe.

Three Dead and Dozens Missing After West Nusa Tenggara Ferry Sinks
By Jakarta Globe on 1:00 pm January 3, 2014.
Category Law & Order, News
Tags: ferry accident, Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara
A ferry sank early Friday morning during a crossing of the Alas strait — leaving at least three dead and dozens unaccounted for — while traveling a route from Kayangan port in Lombok to Poto Tano port in West Nusa Tenggara, police said.

“From the data that we could gather, 36 passengers managed to be evacuated while three people were found dead,” Sr. Cmr. I Wayan Supartha, West Nusa Tenggara’s water police director, told Indonesian news portal Liputan6.com.

M. Yasin, Kayangan branch operations manager of state-run ferry company ASDP Indonesia Ferry, said the three confirmed victims, a middle-aged man and two children, were found by members of the Indonesian Search and Rescue (SAR) team.

The boat, called KMP Munawar, departed from Lombok in the early hours of the morning.

“It departed at around 2 a.m. but as we found out it was sinking at 4 a.m., local time,” Yasin told the state-run news agency Antara.

M. Arawana, a volunteer SAR worker, said survivors told him that the ferry had been leaking since it set out.

“Passengers had told the ferry officials about the leakage but got no response,” he said.

At 3:45 a.m., he said, seawater filled the ship, causing fear.

“At 4 a.m., KMP Munawar ferry really sank,” he said. “Fortunately, before it sank to the bottom of the ocean, around 90 percent of the passengers had been saved and were evacuated to the KMP Marina Kuintan, which was passing the location.”

Despite Arawana’s claim that 90 percent of passengers were safe, officials estimated that there may have been between 80 and 160 people on the boat when it sank, which would leave many still unaccounted for.

The rescued survivors have been taken to a community health center in Seteluk, West Sumbawa.

In addition to passengers, the ferry was carrying six trucks, four pickups, eight minibuses and 15 motorcycles, all of which went down with the ship.

SAR team members, military, police, West Nusa Tenggara officials and local volunteers are still searching for missing passengers.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 AM   #48
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 463
Peter, you're a lucky man mate. Hopefully some of the missing passengers will be found.

"Ride safe"

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #49
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Lombok to Bali

It was with some trepidation that I headed towards the ferry from Lombok to Bali after the recent loss of a ferry and lives on the ferry run to Lombok.

After missing a turn I managed to get the small village tour on the way to the ferry and by sheer luck I popped out on the main road about 100 metres from the ferry terminal.

Survived the ferry ride and arrived in a port about an hour further away from Kuta than I thought I was going to be. Not so bad as the weather is cool, well say 27C and is pleasant to ride in. Traffic was OK untill I got closer towards Kuta and then I found myself in the thick of it.

Was attempting to head towards a hotel on Poppies Lane 1, but the traffic was moving so slowly that I bailed and headed a little bit away from the main drag. Found an Ibis Style Hotel in Kuta which I have used before and after checking the price I booked in for a night of luxury which I felt I deserved. Still not 100% so a night or two of comfort might just help. I am now completely in touch with that concept of "sharting" which is a fart with follow through or though in my case it was more a sneeze with follow through. However I have had a good breakfast this morning and feel somewhat better.

Will probably head towards Ubud tomorrow depending on how I feel.

peter4d screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 07:14 PM
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #50
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Relaxing in Bali

Still relaxing in Bali and indulging in some man shopping. Man shopping is when you walk past as many shops as you can noticing all the pretty women and any special offers on cold beer. Brought some beers and then indulged in my new contact sport "crossing the bloody road", seems to get easier after a few beers.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #51
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for taking us along!! Looking forward to more!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #52
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Out and about Ubud, Indonesia

Have moved up to Ubud which is higher up on the side of the volcano and therefore a little cooler. Staying at the Bima Sari Resort Hotel for the sum of about A$25 per night including breakfast. Really nice rooms and a great little pool to float around in and enjoy a cold beer.

Today with the bike stripped of all bags except the tools and spares I took off with the intention of getting away from all the tourist and just seeing what i could stumble across.

Found remote village temples

Rice fields as far as the eye can see.

A really amazing spring/spa hidden in a valley.

Then it was time to find a coffee. Found the coffee.

Now to enjoy a real Bali coffee

After charging up the caffeine levels its off to tackle a volcano

Thats enough adventure for one day so its time to hit the pool again

Its a tough life, but someone has to do it.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #53
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Quiet day in Ubud

Bit of a quiet day with only a short ride to clear the cobwebs.

Lots of temples and paddy fields with a bit of jungle thrown in.

However could not resist taking some photos on some of the terracing of the paddy fields, absolutely amazing.

Tomorrow I will head for the far coast heading in the direction of my next ferry, until then.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #54
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Heading towards the Java ferry

Well after a lazy breakfast I headed out of Ubud in the general direction of the ferry to Java. Traveled up and around another volcano with a couple of crater lakes. Spectacular views, but unfortunately as I was coming down the other side I ran into a fair bit of rain. Made it to Gilimanuk and my first experience of a combined ensuite bathroom and garage in one at least the yellow beast is safely tucked up for the night and a basic room for me. Tomorrow I will take the ferry to Java. A few photos just to tease you.
Looking back towards Ubud

On the shore of one of the lakes

Views from above the crater lakes

View coming back down the volcano before the rain set in

$20 of pure luxury, but I do have a ensuite bathroom/garage.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #55
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Awesome report! Keep it coming.

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #56
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Time to change Islands

Well I have jumped from Bali to Java. The plan is to be in Jakarta for Australia Day on the 26th with friends who live and work in Indonesia.

Until then I want to explore as much as Java as possible and the old city of Yogyakarta. Chuck in some parks and a few volcanos and it should be a real blast.

Crossed on another rusty death trap ferry this morning and chucked down a few km of highway one. Had some rain, but not too bad. No really exciting views to photograph today, more of a moving day.

Found a really nice hotel and upgraded to the deluxe room for the sum of $18.

Just a few photos from today.

peter4d screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 12:54 AM
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #57
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
I am enjoying your descriptions of the start of your adventure. You seem to have an extensive set of friends distributed in some amazing places.

Would like to hear some background about the life events that led to you deciding to have this adventure. :cool:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #58
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

At least its cool when it rains

Well the day started out fine and sunny with a nice relaxed breakfast, but as I climbed higher as I crossed Java the rain gods gave it to me. Hence not to many photos today.You can see by the photos below that the day started on the coast in brilliant sunshine, but it didn't last.

Can you spot whats happening on the river bed.

They collect the sand through to large boulders for construction. They overload the trucks and you have to pass hundreds of slow moving, smoke belching death traps on you way through the mountains.

The view looking upstream and the old bridge.

Another river, but you would not want to raft it as it just drops over a waterfall into the valley.

How green is this place

i am now getting a better understanding of the road rules here and rule number 1 is that all the bus drivers are trying to kill you. Forced of the road 3 times today.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #59
STmateo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
subscribed :)
very cool bike you have
STmateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #60
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

I was looking for a sunny beach....

Well I have crossed over to the other side of Java. Was looking to head towards a sunny beach, but.........then the rain gods did there thing. Ended up taking a room in Pacitan as I just needed to get off the road and dry out somewhat. Even being wet and cold was not enough to make me take a room at the first placed I looked at, but the second one was a winner for $20.

The going was pretty tough with traffic and then rapidly deteriorating roads as I got into the higher country. Lots of mud, slips, water up to 250mm running over what passes as a road here in Java.

Just a few photo's as the day unfolded.