User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #61
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 213
Patican to Jogjakarta

Woke up this morning refreshed after a good nights sleep to find the sun shining and looking like it might stay that way.

The view from my bedroom this morning.

How green is this place.

Huge cooper domes being installed at a mosque.

Are the rain gods are back, but I am getting smarter and ducked under cover at a service station and enjoyed a hot coffee while the worst of it went through.

Watched a fuel delivery take place while I was there. Slightly different standards compared with Australia. No boots just flip flops, no high-vis, no hand rails, working a heights just to name a few.

Staying at the Ary's Wisma Quest House in Jogjakarta. It's OK for the $20 per night it is costing. Nice settings and away from the main road. Really like the courtyard, but the bathroom is somewhat strange.

Will probably stay for a few days as there is a bit to see and do here.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #62
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm in,following this one. Be safe and enjoy your trip. I just retired January 3rd of this year. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride.
zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #63
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Report mark II, the one I spent 30 minutes typing is #@%$

Here we go again.

Still in Yogyakarta and just taking a little time out to recharge.

Spent yesterday on a bit of a check over the bike, nothing major just checking everything before it could become a problem. Even got the bike cleaned like its never been cleaned before at least not by me. Two guys for nearly 30 minutes gave it the works with lots of soaking, scrubbing, washings, drying and finally a polish. Then they had the cheek to demand 8000 rupee for their efforts, but I ended up giving the a tip and calling it 20,000 rupee or nearly $1.80. I really am the last of the big spenders.

Did however spot a possible replacement for the GS, just take a look at the load carrying capacity.

Today I was out of bed at 3:30am to head of on a tour including sunrise over the valley complete with two volcano's in the background. Very serene and spectacular at the same time.

Then it was off to visit two of Indonesia's most important temples. The effort required to produce these amazing structures with all of the detailed craving is almost beyond belief.

Off tomorrow heading ever closer to Jakarta and a promised Australia Day BBQ on the 26th. At this stage the plan is to stop on the coast at Cilacap, but we shall see what the day brings.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #64
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Very nice ride report so far. Bet you get a lot of looks with your big bike. Keep it coming and stay safe out there.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #65
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

From Yogjakarta to the beach

Yesterday I headed towards the coast from Yogjakarta with the idea of staying at Cilacap, but it really was not that inviting and the major attraction was the oil storage facility for Pertamina. So after a late lunch of a spectacular Tom Yum soap I hit the GPS up for hotel suggestions. Seemed to be a group of them 45km away so I hit go and we were away.

Well the GPS had taken me down some crazy roads already, but what it did next proves that Garmin maps for SE Asia need a bit more work. Mud tracks, roads dead ending in paddie fields, road you could not get through in a 4WD. Was starting to get a little pissed off as the day was rapidly coming to a close so I dug out the paper map and headed towards the coast in hope of finding a hotel. Just as the light was starting to fade I came across a newish hotel and that was me for the night.

This is a photo of one of the better roads I was sent down.

Today I made it to the coastal resort of Pangandaran and decided to stay for two nights. Found a hotel that originally wanted 700,000 rupee or about $60 per night. Nice hotel, but I am not paying that much so after a bit of haggling I got two nights for 700,000 or half the original price. So camped in a nice room with the pool outside my front door.

Few photos from the day.

One just to remind you how green it is here.

A few shots of the beach. Note Indonesians seem to come to the beach to shop, eat food and not swim.

They do however love a pedal powered ride.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #66
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Pangandaran to Bandug

Stayed an extra day in Pangandaran and apart from heading off for a bit of a explore for a couple of hours and treating the Yellow Monster to another spa treatment (not sure if she got a happy ending).

Fishing boats at Pangandaran

The Yellow Monster all in a lather again

Well I have now moved on to Bandung and the Ghotic Hotel which is very much a nod to the 1950's. Pretty boring ride with lots of rain and the ever present death on wheels ( bloody buses). Bandung is a reasonable sized town and the traffic is horrendous and it took 20 minutes to move about 1 km at one stage.
A few photos from the day.

I seem to have a thing for paddie fields and everything green

I think I am developing a thing for riding in the rain.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #67
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Highway traffic in Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4d View Post
i am now getting a better understanding of the road rules here and rule number 1 is that all the bus drivers are trying to kill you. Forced of the road 3 times today.
Great report Peter, bringing back lots of memories. Regarding the highway traffic in Java, I've never seen anything like it, Do yourself a favour and get behind a fast moving car that will clear the path for you.
Cheers,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #68
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Java traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
Great report Peter, bringing back lots of memories. Regarding the highway traffic in Java, I've never seen anything like it, Do yourself a favour and get behind a fast moving car that will clear the path for you.
Cheers,
Mark.
Tried that one, but it gets scary when you look in your mirror an see a 40 seater bus about 6 feet behind. I f#^%*n hate the buses and the bus drivers they scare the hell out of me.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #69
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Reality check

Just in case you think my life is all about fun, bikes, travel and self indulgence, reality at times demand that the mundane things need to be attended to.

So instead of hitting the town last night I had a date with a small sink in my room and some damp and very smelly clothes. My room now looks like a Chinese laundry but smells a lot better.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #70
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Traffic.......what traffic

Thought I should give you an idea of the traffic in Indonesia. These photo were taken just up from my Bandung Hotel.

It's 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon not in the rush hours.

On you marks.

Get set (someone is cheating).

Go.......

All seems fine and normal to me.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 AM   #71
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Bandung towards Jakarta

This is my second attempt at doing this, hit review only to have the whole thing deleted. Starting to piss me off.

Yet another day when it did not stop raining for the whole day. Lots of flooding and water over the road which makes it impossible to see the hidden potholes, but it does make for some exciting moments.

Decided to go where no bike should go today which is on a Toll Road. After sneaking around the boom gate I was away. Cruising along at at the incredible pace of 80kph I was quickly covering some kilometres. Did well for about a hour untill a set of blue flashing lights pulled up behind me.

Then the fun started. The first offer was a fine of 1,000,000 rp which was quickly reduced to 500,000 rp. After a lot of haggling and me just being prepared to wait it out I got it down to 100,000 rp or about $9. Of course I never got the ticket and the money went straight into his pocket, but that is what it is in Indonesia.

Now in a hotel on the outskirts of Jakarta and looking forward to catching up with friends over the weekend and celebrating Australia Day on Sunday.

Photos attached are pretty self explainitory.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #72
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
construct your posts in word or notepad before you post them here. That way you never lose your work and it's simply just a copy and paste into ADV.

Loving the updates. Sorry about the cops.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #73
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Holed up in Jakarka

I am how safely ensconced in the house of some friends of mine I knew from Adelaide.

Cam is working for the Australian Meat and Livestock Corporation up here in Indonesian. His wife Kate is here as well with 3 kids ranging from 4 months to 4 years old so it is a busy, but fun household.

The house is in a secure complex with guards and staff all over the place. Cam and Kate prefer a bit more privicay so the don't have live in staff. Even so the have a nanny, driver, gardner and household help. Staff wages are only around $200 per month and the company picks up the tab. Most households would employee many more and have staff 24/7.

House itself is huge and I even have a large bedroom complete with ensuite and walkin robe.

Tomorrow is Australia Day and they are having a party with some ex pats and their children some it should be a fun day. BBQ by the pool sounds just perfect.

Dirk my Dutch friend who I rode flores with is also her in Jakarta and we will hopefully be hooking up again to do the leg from here to Medan to ship the bikes to Malaysia.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #74
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Still in Jakarta.

Thought I should do a quick update.

Still in Jakarta in the lap of luxury thanks to Kate & Cam who have made sure I have been well feed and watered. Having a great time with the two boys who are just complete balls of energy. They think my tent makes the perfect cubby house.

Had a great Australia Day complete with BBQ, kids, beers, lamb chops and a couple of Bundy Rums to finish off the day.....perfect.

Dirk who I road the island of Flores with is waiting on his bike to arrive by ship and hopes to have it on Thursday. So then it's off heading North to Medan and Malaysia.

A few photos from the past few days.

Couple of new converts to Adventure Bikes

Makes a good cubby house

Kids getting ready for an Australia Day swim

Jakarta traffic and this by the way is a two way road, not that you would know

I swear she's is getting used to a regular soapy massage
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #75
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

I'm back and now out of Jakarta

Wifi has been a problem for the last couple of days, but now in Jambi, Sumatra, Indonesia.

Reluctantly left the McDonald family and a luxury room complete with ensuite and a daily laundry service to hit the road again. Big thanks to Kate, Cam and the kids for treating me so well and giving me that week of luxury I probably needed.

Cam, the kids and me.

Hooked up again with Dirk to do the ride from Jakarta to Medan and then perhaps to Kuala Lumpa in Malaysia.

Dirk.

Retrieving his bike from the Port.

First puncture of the trip.

My favourite tyre fixer. Wanted $2.80, so I gave him $4.50 and everyone was happy.

Lunch delivered. Carries this on a pole, gas bottle at one end boiling oil at the other.

Dirk decided his bike needed a clean and a oil change.

My bike is overtaken by locals.

Made some new friends.

Nice little Waterfall we stumbled across.

Safety in a nice hotel and have both managed to rehydrate with lots of Bintang Beer.