Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #91
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 232
Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
How do you like those cases? Are they wider than your handlebars?

What is the system like for removing the case? Quick and easy?

I have the BMW Adv Aluminum cases and dont like the width and when I crash they are bent forever. Never the same again.

Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing

Smitty
The cases are Hepco & Becker and I find them really easy to use. All locks are keyed alike and there is only one latch to release each case. They are designed to break free if hit hard enough, but I also put a tie down around the each case when traveling. So far they have proved to be both dust and water proof. I also like that there is a hollow space between the inner and outer wall that I can use to can additional water if required.

Have had a couple of decent offs with these cases and so far only a few scuff marks to show for it.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #92
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Waiting for my visa in Kota Bharu

Still in Kota Bharu as I wait for my 60 day visa to Thailand to be processed. Told it should be ready at 10am tomorrow, but I will probably stay an extra night as I am in no hurry and it will give me a bit of time to research the road ahead.

Still reserving my judgement on Malaysia, but I find it a little boring and not as challenging as Indonesia, not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Anyway here is a few images from the past couple of days.

Not sure if you should check out the kitchen before you eat or after

Well I enjoyed my diner anyway

At least you know the vegetables are fresh

The Yellow Monster safely tucked in for bed outside our hotel

I think the Yellow Monster could do with a bit more bling....

Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #93
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Coming at ya.

G'day mate,
I'm a couple of months ahead of you and now on my relaxed way back to Malaysia. Presently in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Let me know if you want to hook up along the road for an information exchange. I have the names and contacts for some lodging I've used over the past couple of months.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #94
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Hi Peter, just found and caught up on your ride report. Trip sounds like a fantastic journey, I will be following with great interest. Your photos are incredible. Thanks for taking the effort to post and allowing us to join your ride.

mcc66
Michael
mcc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #95
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

From East to West

Have departed Kota Bharu and moved on to Alor Star on the Eastern side of Malaysia. Could have crossed into Thailand above Kota Bharu, but there has been some unrest in the area following the elections and the current advice is to stay out of the area for the moment.

Spent yesterday getting my visa and a bit of general maintanance on the bike prior to my departure today. Road to the west through the hills was interesting with even a few nice twisty bits to play with.

I get the feeling that the yellow monster now expects regular spa and massage sessions

Road signs you don't see to often

Nice roads

Big rocks

View from the top of the pass

Looking across the jungle

Safety in Alor Star

Old 02-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #96
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Meeting of the minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
G'day mate,
I'm a couple of months ahead of you and now on my relaxed way back to Malaysia. Presently in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Let me know if you want to hook up along the road for an information exchange. I have the names and contacts for some lodging I've used over the past couple of months.
I am currently in Alor Star and will be crossing into Thailand on the 22nd and slowly working north towards Bangkok. If we could catch up that would be great.

Cheers,
Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #97
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Enjoy the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc66 View Post
Hi Peter, just found and caught up on your ride report. Trip sounds like a fantastic journey, I will be following with great interest. Your photos are incredible. Thanks for taking the effort to post and allowing us to join your ride.

mcc66
Michael
Nice to have you on board.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 AM   #98
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Today I did.....not a lot

Very lazy day in Alor Setar. Did a little research, a bit of shopping, watched a couple of bad movies and went for a little ride.

Nothing really to report apart from that I am all set to cross the boarder into Thailand tomorrow. Looking forward to the change over to Thai food as Malaysian and Indonesian food is very similar and I am getting a little bored of it.

Here is the one compulsory view of Alor Setar.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #99
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Good luck with the border crossing.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #100
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Thailand and beyound

Today was to be the day i entered Thailand and stopped at Hat Yai. Made the boarder in good time after a 7:30am departure from Alor Setar. No real problems apart from the fact I found myself going into and out of both countrys multiple times to get the paperwork required. No one seemed to fussed by my multiple entrees and exits from either country.

When I got to Hat Yai I was not impressed and it just looked like another Asia city so onward it was.

Headed North and towards the coast near Ko Samui and ended up at a nice beach that is more for locals than the tourist. Its called Khanom and is not full of drunken tourists apart from those I ran into tonight. Another kiwi, an Aussie and two Germans, but we still managed to have fun.

Thai boarder

Yellow meets Golden Buddha

She made me take her to the beach again

Could be worse, but at least there was beer

and good food

Few more beers with new friends

Now where is my bed

Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #101
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

A good look around the area

I was fortunate to meet up last night with a expat Australian who has been living up here for a decade. As it happens Russel is a keen rider and offered to take me on a little tour of the area.

Turns out this area is really a little slice of paradise with lots of stunning bays and sandy beaches.

Lots of very beautiful beaches

The yellow beast mixes in with the local fishermen

More coastline

Impressive headlands

View from our lunch table

My guide for the day

peter4d screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 04:07 AM
peter4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #102
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

From Needa Rock heading North

After a late breakfast at the Needa Rock Resort it was time to say goodbye to my new friends and hit the road to the North. I must be crazy to leave this place as it is so nice and not at all spoiled by tourism.

View from my breakfast table

The ride towards Chumphon was not that interesting as it it is very flat and not to many corners. Easy ride, great weather and I must say Thai drivers are much better than the Indonesians, does not feel unsafe at all.

Stopped for a coke (still have the heavy glass bottles)

I made it into Chumphon by about 3pm and after a bit of running around I settled on the Suriwong Hotel. Not bad at all, clean, hot water, aircon, cable tv in the centre of town near the markets for the outrageous sum of 420 Baht or about $14.

The Hotel

View from my fifth floor room

Chumphon is a bit of a nothing town, but I enjoyed the markets and a good dose of people watching. Decided to stay two nights and then head North again to Cha am Beach. Still looking to bypass Bangkok as the riots are still going on and I have a real aversion to grenades. So Chiang Mai is my target and will go to the west of Bangkok.

Cha am Beach is pretty sweet

Found a nice place to stay about 50 metres from the sea for $20 a night. That will do me for a couple of nights.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #103
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Paths crossed already

Sorry but I somehow missed your reply to my previous post, pity as I could have directed you to a nice cheap bungalow on a lovely beach just 15 klm north of Chumphon, which I just left this morning after being there for 4 nights, so we were probably in Chumphon at the same time. Now I'm on the west coast heading south. Anyway, have a great trip and leave plenty of time to explore the roads north of Chiang Mai the guys at Riders Corner will steer you in the right direction.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #104
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 142
suscribed

Very good ride report, really enjoying it! I'm very impressed by your lightly packed bike!!

It seems your in the same area as flyingdutchman177, awesome!!

Anyway when you hit Europe i'll be in touch, need to grab a beer!!
(I've just got back home to the UK from living in Sydney)
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #105
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

So close

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT953 View Post
Sorry but I somehow missed your reply to my previous post, pity as I could have directed you to a nice cheap bungalow on a lovely beach just 15 klm north of Chumphon, which I just left this morning after being there for 4 nights, so we were probably in Chumphon at the same time. Now I'm on the west coast heading south. Anyway, have a great trip and leave plenty of time to explore the roads north of Chiang Mai the guys at Riders Corner will steer you in the right direction.
Looks like we passed like ships in the night. Hope you are having as much fun heading South as I am heading North.