User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #121
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 232
House hunting

I am going to stay in the Chiang Mai area for about a month so I can have a good crack at some of the great roads just ourside the city.

After a recommendation from Phillip (your host at Riders Corner) I have moved into a 32 square metre studio apartment in a great location at Huaykaew Residence. Includes fridge, microwave, ensuite bathroom, secure parking and even a really nice pool.

Unfortunately Chiang Mai is a popular destination and as a result I am having to pay A$220 for the studio. That is $220 per month or about $7.30 per day. Could have gone for a smaller unit for only $5 per day, but I am worth the extra $2.30 per day.

Also today I took the bike out to the BMW Dealer for a service. Fortunately I brought a full set of wheel bearings with me as they did not have them in stock. Will have to order another set and have them brought up from Australia as it is much cheaper to source in Aust.

My overpriced 5th floor apartment

Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #122
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Chaing Mai update

Thought I should put in a bit of an update. As you read I have rented a monthly apartment so I can use it as a base for riding the great roads North of Chiang Mai.

Got the bike back from service a despite supplying my own wheel bearings the service still cost about $600 for a 10,000km service. Should not complain though as it did include new brake pads front and rear.

So apart from setting up my apartment with a few things, getting the bike serviced and chowing down on some great meals, I have just been laying around the pool working on my white bits and a few lazy laps.

A few shots from Chiang Mai.

Morning sunrise from my room at Riders Corner

Green Papaya Salad.... Yum

My vehicle of choice for the last few days

The pool for my $7 a day apartment

Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #123
Yorkie1802
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi peter, living the high life I see, you have just a little more space than me in the van.

Cheers
Liam :)
Yorkie1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #124
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Maloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4d View Post
Well I finally made to Darwin. Four days 4000 km far too much fatty food and fabulous accommodation, well not that fabulous.

The situation has improved greatly as I am now staying with a mate in his luxury waterfront home ( thank you Fred).

But I'm really here now and this is the jumping off point for my adventure. A few things to do before I have to load the bike on the barge to East Timor, but fortunately I should be able to get access to one of my ex clients workshops to complete everything. Still waiting for my Carnet de passage to arrive,despite paying for it over three weeks ago and I need it to pickup my Indonesian Visa according to the staff at the Indonesian Embassy, not sure why, but no point arguing with them.

Really getting quite excited about the trip to looking forward to getting the bike on the barge in about a weeks time and both the bike and myself should be in East Timor early December.

Life is Adventure.

wow..a Maloo....is it fast?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #125
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

How fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
wow..a Maloo....is it fast?
Fast enough to still get me speeding tickets with a trailer and bike being towed behind.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #126
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Riding the hills

Well I got the bike back yesterday and I was overdue a ride to clear out the cobwebs.

Decided to head out of town and find some hills and bends.

That's to GT Rider for a suggested route even if I did detour to go a see a couple more things

Smoke haze was a problem but still some good views to be had.

Even managed to find a lake.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #127
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Day off the bike

Did not even take the cover off the bike today. Spent the morning giving my riding gear a much needed wash after 3 months on the road. Just thank your lucky stars that smellavision has not been invented yet.

As a reward for dealing with the smelly riding gear I spent a few hours lazing by the pool and reading a good book and a few dips to cool off.

Tonight I headed off to the Sunday Night Markets. Nice little stroll to check it out and avail myself of some very tasty street food.

The moat around the old city

Temple at the entrance to the market

Forget they coffee I want the van

Not called the Night Markets for nothing

Another temple

The moat at night

Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #128
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Fun in the Hills of Chiang Mai

Did not venture far from Chiang Mai today. Decided to have a look at Pui National Park and see what I could find. Tried to load in a route through the park, but my GPS did not want to play ball so all I got in was a couple of destinations. Not to worry as it then allows me to just get to an area and then take the first interesting road I find.

Headed into the hills, but the smoke was obscuring most of the views

Hills means bends, bends means fun

Found where the grow all the Garlic.....smell was amazing

Time to find some dirt roads....success

Sometimes if you just took away the occasional banana tree I could be back in New Zealand

The Yellow Monster decided it was time for a game of football before heading home

Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #129
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Wandering Chiang Mai

Another lazy day in Chiang Mai with a bit more exploring of the city.

Walked the edge of the old city and checked out a few temples and I have to say I think I am now templed out. It will take something really special to get my attention from now on.

Remains of the old Fortress surrounding the old city

Part of the old moat

Lotus flower....just because

Temples, temples, temples....

Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 AM   #130
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

A full day around Chiang Mai

The day started off just fine. Nice little sleep in, coffee and then a lazy little ride up to see an Elephant Festival. I was a little early so I continued on up to a waterfall with the idea of taking a few photos........Not happening as my camera has decided it does not like my SIM card ....... bugger.

So nothing for it but to turn around and head back to the apartment to see what the problem is. Tried a new card and it seems to work OK and the old card is still readable. Time to retire the old card and send it back to New Zealand for safe keeping as a record of my adventure.

Head for the hills again and the fuelling issue raises it's ugly head again with the bike cutting out like it has no fuel for two to three seconds at a time. This is starting to really piss me off and it's not just me this has happened too, so it's about time that BMW put out at least an advisory statement if not a recall to fix this problem. It could put you in great danger if you we're say trying to pass traffic or mid corner. Come on BMW, enough of us have experienced this problem to get your attention.

The Yellow Monster wants its fix Mr BMW

Anyway I made it back to the Elephant Camp for the festival.

Entrance to the camp

Playing with a calf

Look what I found

Let the party and feast begin

It's hot so time for a little dip at a small waterfall to cool off

Tiger time

No way am I doing that

Swim time for Tiger

Riders Corner and a cold "Soda Water" to quench the thirst

Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #131
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Fix the fuelling issue

Can't afford to be stuffing around with the fuelling issue, just to much of a risk to find myself a 1000km from help with an expensive bike that does not work. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new fuel pump. After doing my research this appears to be a common problem on this bike that BMW should be well aware of, but have DONE NOTHING.

When it comes time to replace this bike I will have to think long and hard before I purchase, BMW it no longer my automatic choice.

Anyway enough of my little rant, but by the time I had checked out the issue (again) and organised a new pump to be sent the morning was gone. Decided that a bit of air-conditioned retail therapy was in order. Being male and mid fifties of course I could find nothing that I wanted to buy. Ended up having a nice little lunch and seeing a movie. Cool movie theatre's here, modern, large, great seats, amazing sound systems and cheap. Saw a new release (non stop) for $5 and a water and large popcorn was only $3. Been a long time since I can remember going to the movies and spending less than $10.

Having to stand to Honour the King of Thailand take me back to my youth in New Zealand when they played God Save the Queen before every movie.

Only photos for the day were as I came out of the movie and I spotted the sun going down over the hills.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #132
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Tiger, Tiger

I have had a couple of people comment that they thought the picture I posted of the guy laying down on a large Tiger was a fake. Here is the original photo I took and then edited.

Original

Edited photo

Edited and cropped photo

Old 03-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #133
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Wandering, waterfall and WTF is wrong with this bike

Decided to head off to Doi Inthanon National Park for a little ride of about 250km. I must be the eternal optimist to think that the bike would suddenly run without any problems after my experiences to date.

Managed to get my self about 140km into the ride and what do you know the fuelling issues starts again, but even worse. Would loss power for 5 seconds or more and stall just about every time I stopped. I was a long way from help, but managed to limp about 50km out of the hills to a service station to top up with cool fuel. Problem solved......managed to get back to my apartment with no further stalling issues. It has to be the fuel pump overheating. Have a new one on order from the USA, but could be a while before it arrives and until such time as I can fit it I have little or no faith in my bike. So I guess I will just have to be a Chiang Mai tourist until it arrives.

Anyway I managed to get a few photos early on, but gave up on the idea on stopping for photos after the fuelling issue reared it's ugly head again.

Little waterfall

Slightly bigger waterfall

Nice pool to cool off in

Windy roads and hills

View from the top

Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #134
peter4d OP
Life is adventure

Awaiting a new fuel pump

Still in Chiang Mai awaiting the arrival of a fuel pump for the bike out of the USA, last time I checked it had made it through US Customs and is on a plane heading to SE Asia.

To amuse myself while I am waiting I have checked out a few movies and have taken to wandering the streets of Chiang Mai with no particular destination in mind. Managed to find some interesting spots, but more to the point I keep on bumping into locals who just want to chat. Thailand really is the land of smiles and I have enjoyed their company and sharing a meal or a cold drink.

Today I came across a parade and blessing for the Chiang Mai Fire Service which was interesting. Had a good look at some of the equipment and was given a guided tour through a new unit they had just taken delivery of. No English but we still managed to communicate. Most of the equipment is pretty dated, but I gather they are in the process of updating.

Some of the crews and units

Blessing involved a few speeches and then the official spray water over all the vehicles as they drove out. The units then joined in the fun by spraying water everywhere as they drove of down the streets. Water pistol fight with fire engines....cool.

Small motorcycles are still the transport of choice

Even for the cops. Think I could outrun this....

Safety seems to be a priority here

Starbucks....they are bloody everywhere

Enough walking for the day time for my chauffeured drive home

Old 03-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #135
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Peter,
Love your outlook on your adventure! Keep the pictures coming. Love seeing the hole in the wall places you are eating but I would also like to see the picture of the food you are eating at those places! I'm sort of a foodie myself and interested in your yelp like reviews of those places. Thanks and will definitely be following along!
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote