Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
With BMW on board, we can now declare the 'cafe' shark well and truly jumped.
I'm still not clear on who the market for this bike is. At least in the states, I can't guess there'd be a lot of people willing to drop 16-18k on a "turnkey" cafe bike when one could just as easily buy a Thruxton for half that.

Maybe BMW will keep numbers low so they don't appear to linger on dealer floors like some of their roadsters do.

Looks like the same wet weight as the R1200R according to BMW and we know the motor is the same, appears to be the classic spoked wheels. Looks like they relocated the oil cooler a bit higher (where the telelever crap is on the R12R)

Looks like about the same fuel tank capacity, but I wouldn't trust what BMW publishes for that (as BMW flat out lies with the f800r, for example).

ph0rk screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 11:26 AM
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I can't guess there'd be a lot of people willing to drop 16-18k on a "turnkey" cafe bike when one could just as easily buy a Thruxton for half that.
Or a Speed Triple or FZ-09 or Monster 1100 if they are after performance. I dunno.

For now I see it as the GB500 of 2013.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Or a Speed Triple or FZ-09 or Monster 1100 if they are after performance. I dunno.

Yeah - the main thing the R12R has going for it in that category compared to bikes like the monsters or speed triple is comfy seat, luggage, and screen options. Looks like you give all that up for the NineT at the same price.

Carbon fiber engine cover? What the hell?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Right... because people after "performance" would even look at this bike.

What this offers is very clear: modern, minimalist bike engineered for ease of customization, plenty of stylistic clues from historical BMW bikes and trendy cafe' aesthetics. It is obviously primarily targeted at European markets - it might do all right in large US urban centers (where it would make the most sense) but it is clear this is not a product designed with the US in mind. Most motorcycles aren't...
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Right... because people after "performance" would even look at this bike.
Big monoblock calipers, thick USD forks, solo seat... Lot of money to waste on a styling exercise, if that is all it is.

If it really isn't functionally any different than this, what is the point?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Big monoblock calipers, thick USD forks, solo seat... Lot of money to waste on a styling exercise, if that is all it is.

Relax, you won't be forced to buy one.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
Recht
Binge Thinker

Oddometer: 1,144
Needs bigger mufflers..
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:

It is going to be a GREAT motorcycle with hipster styling - even as an exercise it is fairly conservative. Once again, the messaging seems clear: customization, cafe' vibe, blah blah Is it really that hard to get?

It is obviously not appealing to you, but dismissing it as "pointless" seems a bit myopic. I agree this is not going to take the US by storm (or even Europe - no chance this is going to be that big a seller) but I doubt anyone expects it to be. It was likely a very modest project to develop anyhow.

Incidentally, a friend of mine just put a deposit on one...
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

It is the Yamaha Bolt of BMWs.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
It is going to be a GREAT motorcycle with hipster styling - even as an exercise it is fairly conservative. Once again, the messaging seems clear: customization, cafe' vibe, blah blah Is it really that hard to get?

It is obviously not appealing to you, but dismissing it as "pointless" seems a bit myopic. I agree this is not going to take the US by storm (or even Europe - no chance this is going to be that big a seller) but I doubt anyone expects it to be. It was likely a very modest project to develop anyhow.

Incidentally, a friend of mine just put a deposit on one...
If it isn't going to be a big seller, then it needs to enhance the BMW brand in some way. They need some help in the market segment between a S1000RR and an R1200RT, perhaps this is it. Price will be a big factor over here - if they can get it near $12k and choose not to bend you over a barrel for locked-in accessories, then it could be pretty neat, but that will cannibalize R1200R sales. They just released a new color for the R1200R so they aren't planning on ending the model (probably, who can tell with those crazy Germans?), so undercutting the price for the R1200R seems unlikely. MSRP for a 2014 R1200R is, what, $15,395? How much Italian bike will 15k buy you?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #41
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:

Speed Triple? Ugly as sin and too sporty.

FZ-09? Even uglier than S3? What kind of build quality do you get for $8k?

Monster 1100? It's a Ducati. Maintenance will not be cheap. Parts availability questionable? IDK, never owned one, heard too many horror stories.

BMW came out with a pretty reasonable price on the new 12GS, so I would expect this one to be less. I like the usd fork. I had a telelever bike for a while, never got used to the vagueness of it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #42
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Maintenance will not be cheap.
Yeah, if there is one thing BMW is known for, it is cheap maintenance

This thing really doesn't seem much different from an R1200R technically. I love my R1200R - it is a great bike, so this will be a great bike.

However: if it costs the same, I have to question the logic of giving up practicality for a bit of flash.

I wonder if traction control will still be an option - the literature doesn't say, but all the bits are there from the R1200R
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #43
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Yeah, if there is one thing BMW is known for, it is cheap maintenance

This thing really doesn't seem much different from an R1200R technically. I love my R1200R - it is a great bike, so this will be a great bike.

However: if it costs the same, I have to question the logic of giving up practicality for a bit of flash.

I wonder if traction control will still be an option - the literature doesn't say, but all the bits are there from the R1200R
I remember getting a bit peeved when they charged me over $200 for a set of brake pads, but other than that, all the mtce I had done on my R1100RL was pretty cheap. And lots of it is pretty to easy for the typical diy'er.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #44
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Bmw

I applaud the Mottorad for executing the "concept bike" after debuting so many years ago at the Intl M/C shows. They are, no doubt, getting rid of the r1200-non-water-cooled-boxers /parts with this bike...
If you are a BMW guy, you are probably an old-fuc who hangs out with other old-fuc's who ride BMW's (I am)...
BMW NEEDS to attract a younger demographic, this bike may bring some riders UNDER 50 into the frey... Good on them!
Now if they would develop more naked super motards like the MegaMoto and a naked S1000rr...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 586
I was looking at some stats on one of the websites linked here this morning, and the power figures look pretty good.

110hp and 88ft/lbs @ 6,000rpm.

I was surprised. did not think that the old boxer made those kinds of #'s.