Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Wow, fantastic work.
Nice.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,126
Shot peening is a good idea since failures will generally be from fatigue stress cracks which grow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening

Finding these small stress cracks is the purpose for many NDE techniques including dye penetrant and magnetic particle inspection, ultrasound and x-rays. I would have to shot peen the parts after going through all the work done so far. I really like the burette measurement setup to match volumes.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Thanks for documenting all your work.. Looks great and I enjoy seeing it.

In aircraft maintenance we've also called them stress risers ! Not to prolong a stupid pissing contest.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
4iedBandit
Road Warrior Commuter

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
With due deference, I did not post these photos looking for constructive criticism vis a vis shot peening.
Please don't let the arm-chair quarterbacks get to you. I've heard of blueprinting an engine and had a general idea what it was all about, but this is fascinating! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the process.

http://www.4ied.net
4iedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
With due deference, I did not post these photos looking for constructive criticism vis a vis shot peening. I've done this long enough to know what works and what doesn't, and more importantly, why.
I thought the true gearheads among us would appreciate seeing the amount of work that goes into properly building one of these engines.

There is an old saying that goes, "those that can, do, and those that can't, teach". Maybe that should be amended to "those that can't, go on the internet and tell the doers how it's done".
Seems strange you feel that no proper checking needs doing on 40 year old engine parts, and without that not sure how you are doing a blueprint type job of building your motor?

For a top level job, I would have had the head crack tested, and checked for flat on top and bottom deck faces, if all ok have hardened seats fitted, and a proper 3 angle valve seat job done by someone with a Serdi.

Rods checked for straightness, and bearing bores for round, then NDT for any non visible defects. The rest of whats required depends on whether the bike is being used for race or road, but its always worth taking care over parts like rod bolts, as there are a lot of very poor pattern ones on the market.

Saying that though your build looks a lot better than most, and discounting the fact you have not bothered to get anything properly checked, should make the motor run a lot sweeter.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Thanks for taking the time to post your text and pictures. I rebuilt the engine in my '66 Bonneville about 1985 and you're bringing back a lot of memories; It's still going strong, although I don't ride it as much as I used to.

Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #22
craig641
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Can you provide a little detail on what you use to polish the pistons?

Thanks,
Craig
craig641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
paulom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
As you are polishing engine parts, could you shed some light on this: I was always told by the so called "experts" that you should polish rods in the same direction, always. Is this true or it really doesn't matter as long as the end result is smooth and uniform?

Thanks for your trouble posting all this info.
paulom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
beautiful work. ignore the retards, they'll always come in and criticize...it's a lot easier to pick apart someone elses work than to actually do the work yourself.... and your postings remind me how badly i need a better surface plate..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #25
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,488
Quote:
With due deference, I did not post these photos looking for constructive criticism vis a vis shot peening. I've done this long enough to know what works and what doesn't, and more importantly, why.
I thought the true gearheads among us would appreciate seeing the amount of work that goes into properly building one of these engines.

There is an old saying that goes, "those that can, do, and those that can't, teach". Maybe that should be amended to "those that can't, go on the internet and tell the doers how it's done".
Let me get this out of the way first, I am immensely enjoying your thread and the precision work you are doing. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Your comments are understood, but surely you anticipated some discussion and input from other " those that can do"'s.

With no intention of high jacking but to differentiate myself from the " those that can't " here's photos of a couple of swing arms for a Husky 400 XCE that I modified for the later model rear brake, had weld repaired, and then shot peened. This is NOT to say my humble efforts in any way compare with your talent.

New brake reaction lugs added to older swing arm to use newer brake

After shot peen. The arm rings like a tuning fork after shot peen.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 08:04 AM
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulom View Post
As you are polishing engine parts, could you shed some light on this: I was always told by the so called "experts" that you should polish rods in the same direction, always. Is this true or it really doesn't matter as long as the end result is smooth and uniform?

Thanks for your trouble posting all this info.
I always herd the same thing. Finish with longitudinal polish marks.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #27
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
. But insecure I'm not. Why don't you look up the clever way that Chevy did their BBC heads? YOU might learn something.

Dewey, keep it up and ignore the noise. I'm interested in your project and your photos.
groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
The "never built" comment wasn't directed at you, but at some of the other posters. It's obvious you've built quite a few engines. But insecure I'm not. Why don't you look up the clever way that Chevy did their BBC heads? YOU might learn something.
Please, go away.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
It's refreshing to see that someone using the too often misapplied term of "blueprinting" an engine is actually doing just that.

I haven't built any engines in over 20 years, but spent several years of my former career as an automotive mechanic working in a machine shop building engines. We seldom did anything aside from the mundane daily runners, so it was always good when we could apply some higher level skills to a project. I fully understand your excitement at being given a long leash on this project.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
And you are? Remember what SFR told you how envy corrodes from the inside.
Yup, he's a twat too. I couldn't be less envious of 2 people like you and him in the entire world.

If all you're going to do is come in here and criticize, why do you bother ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote