Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 465
If the Weller gun is what I think it is (trigger finger switch, heated wire hanging out in the air) it could be overpowered for the connections to the PC board. It might be needed to remove the brackets but not to do the 3 leads from the pot. Start with the lower wattage pencils first.

PM sent
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
If the Weller gun is what I think it is (trigger finger switch, heated wire hanging out in the air) it could be overpowered for the connections to the PC board. It might be needed to remove the brackets but not to do the 3 leads from the pot. Start with the lower wattage pencils first.

PM sent
I concur that the gun is way too much power. Use a small chisel tip 45 watt pencil tip.

Too much heat will lift the trace from the pc board.

Did you try spraying the pot with electrical contact cleaner? It might be just dirty. This is a low usage device and hard to believe it is worn out.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
pedalmike OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 145
Thanks for the suggestion.

Trying to clean it with contact cleaner was the first thing I tried. Didn't help unfortunately.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
pedalmike OP
Horizontally Opposed

Some days you just get lucky

Ok, here's the rest of the story. The non-functioning twinmax arrived from Cal Moto. Just as Paul Weis said, when this unit powers up, the needle goes to the far right of the scale and cannot be zero'd. Both pots feel pretty good though.

I got out my new 25w Weller pencil iron (I tinned the tip previously), Solder Sucker, and rosin core solder. I disassembled the Cal Moto Twinmax to prepare to harvest a good pot from that unit's PC board.

While I had it apart on the bench, I decided to power it up one more time to see what would happen. Surprisingly, it works fine! I can now zero the needle on the scale at max sensitivity. I checked over all of the connections. They are all clean and tight. I reassembled the Cal Moto twinmax. Everything still worked! Took my GS out for a short ride to warm it up. Connected the twinmax and it shows perfect balance, just like the unit I borrowed from my buddy a few weeks ago displayed.

So, I'm not sure what condition caused this unit to pin the needle to the right, but that condition was somehow remedied by my disassembly. Who would have guessed that?

I want to give a big thank you to Terry, Guy, Gripsteruser, VentusA and RidingAgin for all of your advice and offers of assistance. This forum continues to delight and amaze me...it's a good community.

So now I have a few new tools ready to take on the next project!

Best, Mike

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Nice,
Now you can still repair the one with bad pots....

terry
Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

I love a happy ending :-)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
pedalmike OP
Horizontally Opposed

Epilogue

I took Terry's advice once again and decided to see if I could get my remaining twinmax working. I ordered the potentiometer I mentioned back in post #8 from Mouser for $2.07. I also popped for an extra 49 cents for a 6mm knob to fit the d-shaped shaft on the new pot. The original pot has a serrated shaft.

I replaced the pot this morning. Using the pencil soldering iron and the vacuum desoldering tool the old pot came out fairly easily without the need to cut it out of the board.

The new pot was dimensionally identical to the old one...it popped right in all 5 holes in the PC board. I soldered it up and put the twinmax back together.

Success! Now I have two working twinmaxes for a minimal outlay.

Thanks again to the inmates that posted valuable advice to me on this thread.

Mike
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Good job Solder King!