Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #31
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennon View Post
no 250'cc make a good inline four here's the MC22 20K RPM Screamer of a CBR 250RR, with Keihin flatslides and some tuning did if my memory serves me right a 114mph average speed lap on the Isle of Man TT

as much fun as a single can sometimes be it doesn't beat a bike you can just use the throttle as a scream switch the more you twist the more it goes, my VFR 400 will rev out to 14.5 K can;t imagine what a 20K revvy 250 would be like
If you search it on Youtube there are videos. Better yet look up the 6 cylinder 250 and 5 cylinder 125 Hondas.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
If it'll run 60-65 w/o straining, I'd take it over the multi-cylinder small displacement rides
I've got 13k miles on my CBR250R and it does that no problem. Top speed is 82 mpg or so. What with the rpm being electronically limited, the motor never feels like it's straining, it just hits the fuel shutoff.

With 7500 mile oil changes using synthetic, I suspect the WeeBee has a long life ahead of it.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #33
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
I've got 13k miles on my CBR250R and it does that no problem. Top speed is 82 mpg or so. What with the rpm being electronically limited, the motor never feels like it's straining, it just hits the fuel shutoff.

With 7500 mile oil changes using synthetic, I suspect the WeeBee has a long life ahead of it.

That's what I understand and thanks for the feedback. "Strained" is relative, though. I did not care for the Ninja 250 on the highway at all. Years of big-bores and V-8's, I reckon. What I can, or am willing, to get used to. To find a test ride...It's a Honda. No doubt it will last very well.

Thanks, again.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,103
I really liked the CBR250R and I am so glad Honda has increased the engine size on it. 5 extra HP will make a lot of difference.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #35
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,555
Pass.

Duke 390.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #36
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Pass.

Duke 390.
Yep, depends what you're looking for and/or what you like. For this kind of bike, I'd take the better economy (Initial cost, insurance, and, gas mileage.), durability, and ease of ownership from the Honda. Pretty safe bet, I'm guessing. For excitement, yeh, I'd go w/the Katoom. However, if that's what I'm after, I want a different class of bike altogether. I understand things are different where you live, though. That's why they make different stuff. Good to have choices.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #37
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Yep, depends what you're looking for and/or what you like. For this kind of bike, I'd take the better economy (Initial cost, insurance, and, gas mileage.), durability, and ease of ownership from the Honda. Pretty safe bet, I'm guessing. For excitement, yeh, I'd go w/the Katoom. However, if that's what I'm after, I want a different class of bike altogether. I understand things are different where you live, though. That's why they make different stuff. Good to have choices.
For that, I'd get the CB500F/X/CBR, wouldn't bother with a 300, especially
if it's a single, since the 500s already have MPG figures better then 250cc
scooters.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #38
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
scooters.
I would think the 300 would get better mileage than the 500 IF it's kept at lower speeds (Under 60'ish???) on back roads, plus the lower cost. But, yeh, the 500 looks like a more practical all-rounder than the 300, no doubt. For those looking for back road, run-around efficiency and economy, the 300 looks hard to beat. Again, "if excitement" is not key.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
scooters.
I suspect the 300cc is a bit lighter in weight then the 500cc. Less weight = more fun.

Regards, Paul
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I suspect the 300cc is a bit lighter in weight then the 500cc. Less weight = more fun.

Regards, Paul
If it's not 3hp more then the CBR250R, as mentioned earlier.

Duke 390 would be light for a 150cc scooter, and it's got the
power of basically a 500cc twin. Almost.

If you want fun, I don't think there's anything that would beat a Duke.

Hell, the 690 I tried felt like a bicycle.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #41
cls
Studly Adventurer

For fun, agreed: Katoom. For practicality and/or economy, Honda. A little fairing for wind and weather is nice and it'd just be so easy and cheap to own.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #42
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
For those looking for back road, run-around efficiency and economy, the 300 looks hard to beat. Again, "if excitement" is not key.
Real world, public road, there's only so much excitement any bike can provide. The fun is in the twisties and handling as well as staying in the bike's powerband running up and down thru the gears.

I ride some very small tight turns roads and when I keep the WeeBee on the boil, it sure seems exciting to me :)

There's a big difference between using a gear or two and relying on the throttle vs. running thru the gears keeping in the powerband and shifting just below the fuel cutoff.

In the car world, I own a Miata and like the WeeBee, love to flog it without mercy. A well built modern engine with modern oil can take full throtle, full rpm without a problem. In fact, that's what the Miata and WeeBee are designed for.

Most people just don't do it because one the vehicle simply produces too much power and two they're just not used to high revs.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #43
cls
Studly Adventurer

Yep, I'm familiar. No ill will intended. Nevertheless, a 300 is a limiting factor, though certainly not a deal breaker. It's a factor. I can have fun on most anything but I prefer really good power and torque, as a rule. It adds to the fun and excitement for most. They're most all fun and, yes, you can make any of them pretty exciting.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Make it a 350 single like the mid 70s XL 350 Honda. That was a good engine.

Sent from The Edge using TapaTalk 2
Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #45
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
Real world, public road, there's only so much excitement any bike can provide. The fun is in the twisties and handling as well as staying in the bike's powerband running up and down thru the gears.

I ride some very small tight turns roads and when I keep the WeeBee on the boil, it sure seems exciting to me :)

There's a big difference between using a gear or two and relying on the throttle vs. running thru the gears keeping in the powerband and shifting just below the fuel cutoff.

In the car world, I own a Miata and like the WeeBee, love to flog it without mercy. A well built modern engine with modern oil can take full throtle, full rpm without a problem. In fact, that's what the Miata and WeeBee are designed for.

Most people just don't do it because one the vehicle simply produces too much power and two they're just not used to high revs.
I agree wholeheartedly. Riding my CBR125R is like riding a GP everyday! Using all of the engine, all of the gears, its great fun.
Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote