Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #46
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Yep, depends what you're looking for and/or what you like. For this kind of bike, I'd take the better economy (Initial cost, insurance, and, gas mileage.), durability, and ease of ownership from the Honda. Pretty safe bet, I'm guessing. For excitement, yeh, I'd go w/the Katoom. However, if that's what I'm after, I want a different class of bike altogether. I understand things are different where you live, though. That's why they make different stuff. Good to have choices.
To each his own. I'll take the Duke 390 if it ever gets here (or better, the RC-390). The 600cc Supersports are greatly over-rated for real world riding. A quality super-mono is just the ticket. I admit, however, that it is likely to sell better in Europe than in the HP / Displacement drunk USA.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #47
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Riding my CBR125R is like riding a GP everyday! Using all of the engine, all of the gears, its great fun.

Nice attitude! Refreshing

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #48
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I suspect the 300cc is a bit lighter in weight then the 500cc. Less weight = more fun.

Regards, Paul
It BETTER be less weight. My daughters CB500F is 405 LBS. A 300cc single pulling the weight of a KLR 650 isn't going to impress even the most Die Hard Honda fanatics. Hell a KLR 650 pulling the weight of a KLR doesn't impress many but, I like mine.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #49
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
True stories. Pick what you like for the reason(s) you like it. Something about the right tool for the job, along w/a good ration of personal preference. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I love all of my very different bikes. As it should be.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #50
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
To each his own. I'll take the Duke 390 if it ever gets here (or better, the RC-390). The 600cc Supersports are greatly over-rated for real world riding. A quality super-mono is just the ticket. I admit, however, that it is likely to sell better in Europe than in the HP / Displacement drunk USA.
Bah on the mono Gry! The twins are where it's at! LOL! The only "problem" with my Ninja 300 engine is it is still too fast to ride it WFO all the time. I've streeted a KTM 520 and Husky 450s aplenty, and DRZs, KLRs and everything else too. The twin wins for all purpose street stuff. Cruise at 85 MPH with near no vibration? Easy. The N300 engine in an Adv style bike would be awesome. 300cc/40 HP seems to be the baseline lowest displacement for a bike that dosen't need to be ridden like a small bike.

Kawi could deliver that engine in a higher state of tune, 50 crank peak ponies, less low end/mid and put good legs on it and it would be unbeatable as a full on street bike. Mine is halfway there, just needs good forks.

Honda used to play the game to win it, now they just want to be included in the shootouts! Why not revive the V twin 250 as a 350 and build a real competitor to the Ninja?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #51
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
It BETTER be less weight. My daughters CB500F is 405 LBS. A 300cc single pulling the weight of a KLR 650 isn't going to impress even the most Die Hard Honda fanatics. Hell a KLR 650 pulling the weight of a KLR doesn't impress many but, I like mine.
According to Honda's Website...
  • CB500F 420 pounds
  • CBR500R 425 pounds
  • CBR250R 357 pounds
(All including fluids and a full tank)

Now, while we don't have official numbers yet, all the leaked specs seem to indicate that the 300r is a couple pounds lighter than the 250r, so weight shouldn't be a big issue.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #52
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Bah on the mono Gry! The twins are where it's at! LOL! The only "problem" with my Ninja 300 engine is it is still too fast to ride it WFO all the time. I've streeted a KTM 520 and Husky 450s aplenty, and DRZs, KLRs and everything else too. The twin wins for all purpose street stuff. Cruise at 85 MPH with near no vibration? Easy. The N300 engine in an Adv style bike would be awesome. 300cc/40 HP seems to be the baseline lowest displacement for a bike that dosen't need to be ridden like a small bike.

Kawi could deliver that engine in a higher state of tune, 50 crank peak ponies, less low end/mid and put good legs on it and it would be unbeatable as a full on street bike. Mine is halfway there, just needs good forks.

Honda used to play the game to win it, now they just want to be included in the shootouts! Why not revive the V twin 250 as a 350 and build a real competitor to the Ninja?
Ok, ok, so I might have to do both!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #53
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

If the 390 comes in as smooth as my 450/505 SXF twin cam engine was, it'll be better than the Ninja. That thing was like glass at any RPM, but too focused for MX to even consider streeting it. They have the ability to build a great engine, but they sometimes do funky stuff, like the narrow range gearbox in the 690.

As far as the cheapo bikes go, the Ninja 300 engine is king for another year at least I guess. I still want them to pull the damn "R" off the CBR250/300. "R" used to mean something!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Ah...and the 6th Gen VFR800 was really a VF800 - The "R" used to mean "gear driven cams", which the 6th Gen was NOT.

Honda used to be so good about nomenclature - you knew what you were getting - Until American Honda's Marketing Staff convinced Honda Japan to the contrary.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #55
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Cost?

Any clues to cost? My Googles came up with nothing real. I am hoping this pushes the CBR250s down in price so I can either pick one up for peanuts or just throw in a few extra $$ and get the 300.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #56
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

As far as the cheapo bikes go, the Ninja 300 engine is king for another year at least I guess. I still want them to pull the damn "R" off the CBR250/300. "R" used to mean something!!!
Very cool bike, for sure. King? That would depend on your kingdom. Glad you got what you like.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #57
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Very cool bike, for sure. King? That would depend on your kingdom. Glad you got what you like.
King of MPG? 104 MPG possible as proven by a magazine tester.

King of HP? 39 crank, stock.

King of "smoove"? Hey, it isn't going to be a contest against a budget single in vibration control. The Kaw is velvety smooth to 13k RPMs.

Kawi built the better small bike engine unless you are brand loyal to the core. I'm no Kawi flag waver, but they got the engine dead on in the 300. If Honda redeveloped the V2/250, it might have some competition. The rest of the bike is close enough to be a tie, mostly junk.

What I like, well it is as close as I can get to a true hi-po small displacement bike, but it ain't what I want!

Navin screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 01:20 PM
Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #58
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Let us remember it makes not a whit of difference which bike one chooses. But everyone knows that a thumper is way cooler than a parallel twin.
The real problem with this bike is that you would be technically excluded from the minimalist touring thread.
If it's the same as the 250 with a bigger motor, I think it would be an awesome choice. The orphaned styling of the 250 is going to be a hot classic though..
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #59
cls
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
King of MPG? 104 MPG possible as proven by a magazine tester.

King of HP? 39 crank, stock.

King of "smoove"? Hey, it isn't going to be a contest against a budget single in vibration control. The Kaw is velvety smooth to 13k RPMs.

Kawi built the better small bike engine unless you are brand loyal to the core. I'm no Kawi flag waver, but they got the engine dead on in the 300. If Honda redeveloped the V2/250, it might have some competition. The rest of the bike is close enough to be a tie, mostly junk.

What I like, well it is as close as I can get to a true hi-po small displacement bike, but it ain't what I want!

King of quality control and fit-and-finish? Not. King of power delivery and character for around town/start and stop? Negative. King of mpg's in the real world, especially in around town, as stated? I'm thinking not. King of light weight and flickability? Nope. King of inexpensive? Numbers are easily compared.

"Kawi built the better small bike engine?" That depends on the application. They did not for me and my use. "King" is relative. If it's king of your kingdom, that's awesome. It's not the bike I'd choose for the role I'd use it for of that and the little Kawi.

Having said all that, it's all good. Options are nice and that's why they make different bikes.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #60
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253