User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #61
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
Looks fun!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #62
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Riding my CBR125R is like riding a GP everyday! Using all of the engine, all of the gears, its great fun.
In the immortal words of Hamlet:

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so...I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself the king of infinite space were it not for bad dreams".

The fact remains, that while bike technology has vastly improved the last 50 years, roads are just more crowded.

My first bike was a 900 Kawasaki Eliminator. I moved on to the Miata (2001 SE BRG like my MGB out of college) because the big Kaw just wasn't fun. I at first drove the Miata like the MGB in the sense that the MGB had a lot of torque down low and wasn't a rev monster by any means. It wasn't long before I realized the Miata was no MGB in that department. Maybe not a Stook, same torque as the "B" bomber, but how that Miata loves to be driven at the limits. Banging on the fuel cut-off, with rifle bolt shifts, it comes alive. On the boil in the twisties, I don't think many wives or girlfriends in the passenger seat would keep quiet :).

My first ride on a bike was a scooter when I was a kid riding through late summer fields on a dirt trail toward dusk. Have always had that stick in my memory.

Couple years back I bought a Chinese 50cc moped just for yucks. I wound up driving 50 miles to the beach and back on the smallest farm roads I could find just cruising at 30-35 mph. No traffic, just fields and forests. Once near the beach, it was the dedicated bicycle lane and then on the coastal strip, the bus lane, breezing by all the traffic backed up at the lights. Put well over 10k miles on the scoot as it steady fell apart and broke down.

I bought the CBR250R when it first came out and followed the same roads. I'm thinking of getting the new FZ-09. I doubt however it will be more fun than the CBR. Maybe more "exciting", but I'm not sure how good an idea that really is given my certain lack of discipline if you will :).

The CBR has enough torque down low that you can do relaxed cruising or if in the mood I can spin it up. My last tank was 76mpg. Oil chages every 7500 miles. Cheap insurance. We all know the drill.

Still have a scoot, the Helix. No bike can beat a scoot for relaxed comfort and "scooting" around town. Honda has a history of a low key, understated approach to two wheel travel which shines thru with their scooters. I think a tad bit of that is blended into their new bikes.

I mean really, who are you going to meet on a Ninja, Uma Thurman, an actress?

Check out this real life road/trail warrior:

Whatever happened to the days when hunters wore berets? Hmmm... maybe I'll post a pic of me in my multi-cam with the AR on the WeeBee getting ready to bust some hogs...

ex_MGB screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 04:24 AM
ex_MGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #63
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,210
KTM has got a new RC390 coming out. Let's see a Honda, Kawasaki, and KTM comparo soon.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #64
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
That's stupid. I'm gonna buy one.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #65
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,316
I took Nanabijou's CBR150 for a a ride and I have to say I was totally impressed. It's a fully capable road bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #66
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 395
Back in the summer of 2010, I had the use of a Honda CBR125R for a month ... absolute blast to flog around town on! Managed to get 99mpg out of it too on one occasion ... Ride all week to and from work on $5.00CDN worth of gas ... used ones here, with LOW mileage on 'em can be had cheaper than a motorscooter!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
This has the makings for a great bike. 300 singles are torquey. It should not need a thing besides basic servicing. Just because it is a Honda people will snap it up.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 AM   #68
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
This has the makings for a great bike. 300 singles are torquey. It should not need a thing besides basic servicing. Just because it is a Honda people will snap it up.
..and that's the only reason it will sell.

If it were any other brand, people would be asking What Were They Thinking?!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #69
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
..and that's the only reason it will sell.

If it were any other brand, people would be asking What Were They Thinking?!

Why do you say that? Looks like it is similar to the competitions offerings in this class. What is it about the CBR that you don't like?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #70
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #71
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Why do you say that? Looks like it is similar to the competitions offerings in this class. What is it about the CBR that you don't like?
It's like the CBR250R vs the Ninja 250.. the CBR was a single, less power,
not really cheap, didn't handle as well as the Ninja and yet, being a Honda,
some people still bought them rather then the Kawasaki which is more
then obviously a more complete "package".

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #72
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
It's like the CBR250R vs the Ninja 250.. the CBR was a single, less power,
not really cheap, didn't handle as well as the Ninja and yet, being a Honda,
some people still bought them rather then the Kawasaki which is more
then obviously a more complete "package".
Agreed. Nevertheless, for those that just want lighter, cheaper, more economical, and/or more durable/carefree (especially for just slower speed, back road riding), I'd still go Honda. It has it's perks. Good bikes and nice differences for bikes in the same class.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #73
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I was getting close to shopping for a CBR 250, either new or more likely slightly used, to have as a back up bike and cheap commuter, but now I'll probably wait until there's more info on the 300. The 250 seemed like almost the perfect bike for my needs, but no doubt the 300 will have a bit more freeway ability, which will matter to me. The Ninja 300 would be the better choice if this was to be my only bike, but that's not the case, and if it was the case, I'd be looking for a bigger bike, such as the Honda 500 at the very least.

I still may end up with a CBR 250. The used market for those can only get better once the 300 is out.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #74
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,138
I dunno.

Daughter's fiancé can't sell his Ninja 250R for anything near it's worth. I figure that the 300R is killing the market for the smaller engine bike.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #75
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Exactly. A buyer's market for the 250's.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote